Advanced search

new to running – sore just above the knees – normal?

(8 Posts)
kneedeepinthedirtylaundry Tue 27-Oct-09 00:01:09

I'm nearly 40, not massively overweight, perhaps a stone. I've just started running and I'm doing very short bursts at the moment – a minute or so. But after about 30 seconds, the bit just above each knee starts to hurt. Will it go away as I practise more, or should I just stick to Yoga? Anyone know what's going on with my knees?

MonstrousMerryHenry Tue 27-Oct-09 00:15:49

When I had painful knees following running, it was because I was using ancient trainers. How old are yours, and are they a bit on the worn side? If so it's an essential investment to get down to a proper running shop where they will assess the way you run and find the best shoe for you.

If that's not the case, I can't help!

Whoooooooseyfruit Tue 27-Oct-09 06:25:19

what MMH says.
you MUST go to a proper shop
and get a gait assessment. be prepared to spend a fair bit on your shoes, it's really worth it.
Good luck.

kneedeepinthedirtylaundry Tue 27-Oct-09 17:51:45

Thanks both. The trainers are not old, but not from a proper running shop. Will take your advice.

MonstrousMerryHenry Tue 27-Oct-09 22:02:17

I usually spend about £80 on my trainers and go "gulp!" every time I hand over the cash. But then that's the equivalent of a year's gym membership for £80 and it is ESSENTIAL!

Hope your knees sort themselves out soon. good luck!

ib Tue 27-Oct-09 22:09:15

I found the trainers were important, but when I was getting it again with brand new asics I thought it had to be something else.

I googled it and found that apparently it's quite common in women who run - and it's to do with having the muscle which runs down the outside of your thigh too tight.

The good news is that a minute of stretching that muscle a day sorted it out for good. The way I did the stretch was to sit on floor, back straight, soles of feet touching each other at about the distance from my hips that my head would be if I could touch the floor with it (iyswim). Keeping back straight lean forward.

fridayschild Fri 30-Oct-09 13:38:43

The muscle is called the ITB. Google some searches for it, or look on runners' world. As IB says, it's very common.

I have BUPA cover through work and used that to get a physio for it, which was great.

kneedeepinthedirtylaundry Sat 31-Oct-09 17:23:50

Thanks all. Will try that exercise ib mentions. saving up for decent running shoes and looking for somewhere locally to buy them at the moment.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: