Talk

Advanced search

i need to run - can anyone help/make me?

(46 Posts)
stakethroughtheheartofgold Sun 25-Oct-09 22:36:40

this is prolly in the wrong topic...

i started running on the at the beginning of the year thanks entirely to the mumsnet runners. i posted some vague query about running and before i knew it i was kitted out with Properly Fitted Shoes and a c25k podcast and by june i was running 12k shock

i got out of routine over the summer and haven't been out since. there were a couple of occasions while i was running when i think it got me over quite a big emotional hump, and frankly without it i'm struggling. next step meds. everyone is asking, with meaningful looks, when i'm going to start running again. and i'm trapped in the start of the spiral where i have no motivation to get out, so i don't get the mood boost, so i have no motivation...

is there anyone up for a virtual running buddy? or any really good motivational typers? if anyone can help me take those first steps outside the door it might just help me dodge the bullet that's heading my way...

thanks

VicarInaBooTu Sun 25-Oct-09 23:41:10

i really need to start running....so how do you go from nothing? maybe you could start me off then we can run together virtually? ive really got to do it - ive got the bleep test coming up and im not at all fit! so help me!
and which shoes do i get on a budget?

ShowOfHands Sun 25-Oct-09 23:43:36

Vicar, go to a proper running shop who will look at your gait.

And google bupa training programmes. Brilliant stuff, will help a complete novice.

I'll help you. I've been running for a year but had terrible sinusitis and couldn't run for a month and now can't bring myself to sort it out. I WILL go in the morning.

stakethroughtheheartofgold Sun 25-Oct-09 23:52:32

there's a couch to 5k thread here vicar - got me where i am now got to when i was still going somewhere blush and yes to running shop - ask for last season's colours, could be cheaper. or take the hit with the first pair then get the same model discounted online when you come to replace them.

okay soh, if you'll do it i will - can't go in morning as too much whiskey consumed tonight, but i'll go on tues, or weds if that's when you're out next. hope it's raining (here, not for you unless you like it ) i love running in the rain.

ShowOfHands Sun 25-Oct-09 23:56:42

I love running in the rain too. Will do Mon, Tues, Thurs, Fri this week. I will. I will I will.

stakethroughtheheartofgold Mon 26-Oct-09 00:02:25

woah, that's loads! i'll do tues, thurs. i will i will

snice Mon 26-Oct-09 00:05:58

I could with this too if I can join you both. Did the couch to 5k thing but had to stop in the summer as had terrible achilles pain. It seems to have stopped for the time being so might give it another go.

Will go Mon eve. Probably. Or not maybe. Have very little willpower.

stakethroughtheheartofgold Mon 26-Oct-09 00:10:06

the more the merrier snice. no lack of willpower allowed though [stern look]

MonstrousMerryHenry Mon 26-Oct-09 00:11:09

Here's some motivation for you, stake:

- You're looking so fat these days.

- Your life expectancy has plummeted since you stopped running, and it won't stop until you start again.

- You're so much nicer to be with when you've had some exercise; otherwise you're just a ranty bitch.

There. Motivated?

<<smiles sweetly>>

(cheques accepted; either that or give me all your bank details)

stakethroughtheheartofgold Mon 26-Oct-09 00:18:00

heh mrsmh the ranty bitch thing is most definitely true.

could take issue with the first two re depression, eds and self harm but that would be mean, i appreciate the sentiment

MonstrousMerryHenry Mon 26-Oct-09 00:24:42

grin and <<oops>>. Hope I didn't offend; thought it would be okay since I don't know you. I bet you're gorgeous really. I'm just like you with exercise - on/ off, on/ off. When I do it I really love it, then if I get a cold (for example) and stop running, it takes a whole nation of warriors to get me back into the rhythm. I'm just not one of those single-minded, disciplined people.

I think the secret for people like us is to vary the exercise so that you always have a fall-back option if you can't run, so that at least you can keep those endorphins buzzing around your body. That way they'll keep shouting at you: Move your arse! Get your trainers on! Get happy! (or something).

Good luck, and go girl!

MonstrousMerryHenry Mon 26-Oct-09 00:26:34

In terms of starting again, I think you should just get your trainers on and go out (forget warming up/ putting proper gear - just this once). Have a brisk walk (to warm up a bit), then...DO IT! Once you start running it's easier to carry on. I've not found any other way to get over that initial hump.

stakethroughtheheartofgold Mon 26-Oct-09 00:27:21

nonono not offended at all, really. i stop eating when i get down and wish i was dead, hence difficulty with first 2 options grin

stakethroughtheheartofgold Mon 26-Oct-09 00:29:43

and you know what you're absolutely right about just doing it. i raced dp home last night utterly trolleyed in the small hours, and i think that's pushed me closer to starting again than all the hoping/planning/shoulding in the world.

ShowOfHands Mon 26-Oct-09 07:53:38

What always helps me is to start being more specific about it. Once I've stopped running, I start saying a vague 'oh I should start again, maybe this week sometime' and inevitably I don't do it. If I say I will go on three runs this week and I don't then I've failed. Definitely more stick than carrot here.

I never planned on starting running but after having dd and trying to lose weight, dh (a flipping triathlete) suggested running might help with my frame of mind. I have PTSD after the birth and after the initial swearing, sweating, panting agony of unfitness, I found that regular running made the world of difference. I think a mixture of endorphins and measurable achievement is something that suits me quite well having never been remotely interested in running for pleasure.

So, I will go for a run today. DH is having a lie in as he has been working silly hours this last week but when he gets up, I'm off.

Other good motivational thing is to get your running gear on as soon as you get up even if you're not going straight out. Puts you in the right frame of mind.

stakethroughtheheartofgold Mon 26-Oct-09 09:02:50

i'm an absolute endorphin junkie, once i started there was no stopping me. i know what you mean about measurable achievement too, i love to plot it all in fetch and watch my graphs and stuff. so i'm really hoping it's just getting over the initial stumbling block of going out the door. i had a really good regular routine - every other day, first thing in the morning, so no way to talk myself out of it over the day or getting sidetracked.

good luck with your run soh, and yours later snice, let me know how you got on.

IControlSandwichMonkey Mon 26-Oct-09 12:01:39

And done! Half an hour, took it easy but was quite comfortable and nicely cold. You know that burn in your lungs as you breathe in cold air? Did about 4k. Happy, tis done.

Same tomorrow...

Oh tis SOH btw.

Chinwag Mon 26-Oct-09 12:14:52

I've just put this on the other thread, but I have joined a ladies running group, which, in m area caters for beginners, 5k and 10k abilities.

womensrunningnetwork.co.uk/index.htm

IControlSandwichMonkey Mon 26-Oct-09 12:18:51

I couldn't run with other people though it's a great idea.

I live on a farm in the middle of nowhere and see nobody as I run round the fields. Well, deer, rabbits, snakes, chickens etc but no humans. I couldn't do it with people looking at me.

IControlSandwichMonkey Mon 26-Oct-09 12:19:48

A barn owl today btw. Don't usually see him in the middle of the day. There's a kestrel too and woodpeckers nesting in a box on my run route. It's really quite lovely.

OrmIrian Mon 26-Oct-09 12:24:24

Well the way I motivated myself was not with running programs or targets but by mapping out new routes round my town and surroundings. Basically I see running as way of taking a nice walk, faster grin. I have found places I had never been to before, little lanes and footpaths, beautiful views and villages. And getting to the next unknown place, round the next bend in the road, was what motivated me to go further. I got from 3 or 4 miles around town (dull dull dull!) to 7 or 8 miles through the countryside and finally last sprin to 12 miles. Mind you I am quite slow.... but I don't care much about that. Not planning to race.

MonstrousMerryHenry Mon 26-Oct-09 12:41:02

Hey stake, guess what I did today? Well, okay I probably only ran for about 15 mins, but you know it felt so nice to be running again. Just do it girl (omg I sound like a bleeding Nike ad - HUGE apols for that one).

I need to get my spreading arse into gear, so I'd be happy to co-motivate (now I'm making up words - need sugar in my blood) with you! However, I'm preg so won't be able to stay with you for months and months, but will def be able to help you over this initial hurdle. Whaddya say?

stakethroughtheheartofgold Mon 26-Oct-09 15:53:41

well done sof and mrsmh.

thanks for the suggestion chinwag but i couldn't possibly run with other people either. getting away from people is one of the things that's so sanemaking about it for me. we went to support a friend at a half marathon recently. the thought of running with that many people around made my blood run cold.

i will go out tomorrow. i'm a bit worried about my trousers falling down but can't drag sorry arse to running shop to get something that fits. not a good day today.

IControlSandwichMonkey Mon 26-Oct-09 16:12:38

stake, you sound sad. Is everything else ok? Please tell me to bugger off if that's too personal.

Have you got some jogging bottoms with a drawstring. Nowt worse than your trousers falling down.

My FIL keeps prodding me to do a 10k with him and I'd love to prove to myself that I can but god, other people. I'd despise it. People overtaking me, overtaking others, people cheering. Oh god the pressure. DH thrives on competitive sport but I hate it and just the idea of it makes my blood run cold. I don't want to compete, I'd have a panic attack. I like running because I do it alone. Me and the open road. Or field.

MonstrousMerryHenry Mon 26-Oct-09 16:20:46

I shall be checking up on you, stake...! Good luck with your run tomorrow.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now