Talk

Advanced search

Tips for a novice runner

(9 Posts)
strawberrycornetto Sun 18-Oct-09 12:27:38

I desperately need to get fit. I have a gym membership but never go because it takes too long and is too difficult with my DCs.

Instead, I've decided to take up running because its quicker, easier, cheaper... Only trouble is I've always been a rubbish runner.

I've been out two mornings in a row now. I have managed 10 and then 12 minutes, running without stopping.

I would really appreciate some tips for how to build up and what I should aim for to make it good exercise.

Thanks!

Furball Sun 18-Oct-09 13:38:12

i used this podcast which got me running 5km in 9 weeks

I could not run at all, running for 10 mins is fab - have a listen and maybe start at a later week?

Also worth going to a running shop and getting prooper running shoes, so not to cause any injuries.

thelunar66 Sun 18-Oct-09 13:51:37

Subscribe to Runners World. they publish programmes for complete beginners. That's how I got started. I can manage about 25 miles a week these days and run with a local club too.

thelunar66 Sun 18-Oct-09 13:52:31

Oh... and 10 or 12 mins without stopping is amazingly good for someone who has never run before! smile

strawberrycornetto Sun 18-Oct-09 14:16:14

To be fair, I did used to run a little bit in the gym, but I've always hated it. I haven't done anything since DS (now 19 months) was born or during pregnancy, so I was very pleased I could do that straight out.

How far do you think I should aim to build up to?

thelunar66 Sun 18-Oct-09 14:20:30

The coaches at the club reckon you should increase by half a mile (about 4 or 5 mins running) every 4 or 5 sessions.

I keep trying to get myself up to half marathon distance, but always end up with some injury or another. I've settled for 10k races now, but concentrating on getting my times down, rather than running longer distances.

Where do you live Strawberry?

strawberrycornetto Sun 18-Oct-09 14:53:56

I like in Bromley in Kent.

I just measured my run in the car and it was just over a mile I think, which fits in with your estimate. So I will try to think of a way to add another half mile at the end of the week.

My goal would be to do a 5k race initially because I've never been brave enough to enter a race.

thelunar66 Sun 18-Oct-09 14:55:58

5k is an idea 'goal' I would think at this stage. Aim to do it in under 30 mins smile

notyummy Mon 19-Oct-09 12:45:55

Music can make all the difference - get an ipod or similar and download uplifting/fast stuff.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now