Talk

Advanced search

When did your child learn to swim?

(2 Posts)
fimrie Tue 06-Oct-09 15:20:10

My son loves the water and leaping about with floats, but hates swimming lessons! I think he find them quite boring, and also pointless, as he can reach the bottom of the pool, so why would he need to swim?

I really want him to learn, but don't want to force him to attend lessons that he hates and put him off swimming. He is 4 and a half and has just started reception, and I think that maybe swimming lessons after school are a bit too much at the moment. So I am toying with the idea of abandoning them, but I also don't want him to feel that he can just give up something because it's hard work. Also, I have paid for a whole term, grrr!

I would be really interested to hear when other children learnt to swim. Is four too young? Should I just wait a few months, but then will he miss out? Am I worrying over nothing?!

Any advice welcome! (but if your child could swim 10 metres at age 3, I probably don't really want to hear that in all honesty!)

ConnorTraceptive Tue 06-Oct-09 15:26:53

My ds is a similar age and also enjoys the water but isn't so thrilled about lessons! I don't think four is too young and plan to continue despite protests!

I don't expect him to be able to swim lengths anytime soon but do think it's important for him to learn as soon as possible.

Also I think if they are the type to find it boring this will be the case whether you do it now or in a years time IYSWIM

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now