Talk

Advanced search

Can anyone recommend resources for teaching dcs to swim?

(4 Posts)
alarkaspree Sun 27-Sep-09 15:53:28

I take my children swimming a lot but they have never had lessons. Dd is 5 and can stay afloat for a few metres, she enjoys diving down underwater to pick up toys and doing somersaults, but she now really wants to learn proper swimming technique.

Has anyone used a book or web resource for teaching their children to swim, or has any tips? I am thinking we could do 10-15 minutes of exercises at the beginning of a session, then just play for the rest of the time. I want her to continue to enjoy it and I will also have ds (3) in the pool so need to keep him entertained (and afloat) as well.

mimsum Sun 27-Sep-09 22:23:53

why not take her to lessons? At 5, she's just the right age to start and a good teacher will make the lessons fun. You could watch what the teacher does and follow it up when you go swimming by yourselves.

children often learn things much more quickly if it's someone else other than a parent teaching them

madamefreckle Sun 27-Sep-09 22:26:30

Enjoyment is the key. I did ASA level 1 swimming instructor training and the 'bible' was a book published by the Amateur Swimming Association called 'Introduction to Swimming, Teaching & Coaching'. It is excellent for breaking down each of the strokes (also dives, jumps and other techniques) and giving managable teaching points so that the children aren't overwhelmed with trying to do it all at once.

LauraIngallsWilder Tue 06-Oct-09 12:55:39

This is just the thread I need!
Ill take a look at that book you reccomended madamefreckle, thanks

I spent some time watching videos about swimming on you tube last night - try the expert village learn to swim videos they are really helpful

We have some zoggs seal sticks that I got from tesco extra (or try ebay) and if I think our local pool will let me Im going to get a couple of noodles! (or see if local pool have got some)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now