Talk

Advanced search

Starting training again - running and paddling

(2 Posts)
golemmings Mon 21-Sep-09 14:08:49

Hi,

OUr baby girl is now 4 weeks old and I'm looking to get back into training.

I'm mostly a kayaker - flat water racing - but started running last summer and was loving it until I got too light headed and wobbly to run at 10 weeks pregnant. I raced until I was 5 months pregnant and then carried on coaching until 38 weeks - mostly on the bank but occasionally paddling too.

In labour I had a grade 3 tear and was told by the midwife not to paddle until I've seen the gynaecologist (which isn't until Janary sad) but I think that's probably over cautious. Does anybody have any advice or experience?

In the meantime I'm planning on starting running again - with a view to entering the Telford 10k at Christmas. last year it took me from August to Christmas to build up to that distance and I was stronger and fitter then. Is this too ambitious?

Is there anything I should know before I start?

liath Tue 22-Sep-09 07:59:45

The one thing I would advise is to maybe speak to a physio about what exercise to do as some might advise that running too soon might damage your pelvic floor, especially if you had a bad tear. Good luck.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now