Talk

Advanced search

Does anybody really believe that spectator sports like the Olympics will inspire people to get fit?

(9 Posts)
peanutbutterkid Sat 22-Aug-09 11:36:39

Coz I don't.
It seems to me that spectator sports encourage Spectating, not Doing.
Do you or have any adults you know become fitter and stayed that way long term as a result of seeing a sports competition?

MaureenMLove Sat 22-Aug-09 11:43:14

grin I suppose I ought to comment, since it may have been my comments elsewhere that put the thought in your head!

Personally, no. Not me! I am a spectator and they need me to spur them on!

However, I work in a school and I hear lots of teenagers mention sports stars as their heroes and they seem to want the success that they have. I also know of quite a few people that have been to watch the marathon and have gone on to take part themselves.

If the whole London Olympics thing generates just a handful of the population to 'get fit', that's gotta be a good thing.

moondog Sat 22-Aug-09 11:49:22

No
In the same way that cookery programmes do nothing to get people cooking real food.

We are a nation of lardarses who like to sit on sofas and watch life happen on screens.

MaureenMLove Sat 22-Aug-09 11:52:33

Saturday Kitchen aspires my DH every weekend! In fact, it's just finished and he is printing off recipes as we speak and making lists to make something nice for dinner tonight!

(And I'm still swimming twice a week Moondog, because you told me I was a lazy arse!! grin)

peanutbutterkid Sat 22-Aug-09 12:05:13

Yeah, it was that other thread that got me thinking MML. I reckon it only will be a small handful inspired by 2012 .

Cooking programmes seems different, in theory they teach how to make tasty food, usually breaking it all down into very simple steps.

But spectating sports isn't a learning experience for most, it's just entertainment.

throckenholt Sat 22-Aug-09 20:15:12

I don't think it will make much difference to adults - but I think it will inspire kids - especially if they get to see any of it live and feel the atmosphere.

southeastastra Sat 22-Aug-09 21:01:33

it must inspire some, thinking of tessa sandersons's sports youth academy she's set up (seem on wife swap)

we need some winners though to inspire!

LightningBolt Sat 22-Aug-09 21:09:37

In answer to op,In this country I am not sure,but it is interesting that currently sprinting is totally dominated by the Jamaicans.In some cases I do think sucess breeds sucess,I mean the Brazilians always seem to field world class footballers.

MaureenMLove Sat 22-Aug-09 21:19:46

I don't think it will insire people to get fit, but it will produce our next Olypmic champions. It's the way it's always been. Every sports person that is ever interviewed about why they chose that sport, will mention the person in history that has inspired them.

We are producing some fantastic sports people at the moment, all in readiness for 2012. I have a swimmer at my school, who will be there. My BIL has a student at his judo club who will be there. The Olympics is a fantastic event and dispite the politics of it all, it will be great for this country. Millions of pounds is being ploughed into schools and sports clubs to make sure of it. Children/teenagers all around the country are starting to take note of sport now, because of it.

So, yes, there will be people who get fit because of it.

God, I sound like Seb Coes public relations officer! grin I won't get fit. Can't be arsed!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now