Talk

Advanced search

cycling etiquette

(11 Posts)
Afrodizziac Wed 19-Aug-09 21:08:52

I realise this is potentially a heated topic, but I need your insights!

Would you cycle on a pavement or on a no-cycle path behind your young child on his/her own bike? (and I mean at a snail's pace, not threatening to knock people over).

In the Common near us there are very few cycling paths. As I understand it (or did I dream it?!), under-8s are exempt from the by-law regarding cycling on no-cycling paths, so it is fine when we walk and DD1(4.5) cycles. However, how do we cycle together, possibly to school? How do we navigate our high street? I will have DD2(3) on the back of my bike, just to complicate things!

Any ideas on managing a child on a (separate!) bike in London would be greatly appreciated!

TheOnlyDailyMaleForMeisDH Wed 19-Aug-09 21:17:43

Well technically, legally you have to get off and walk, but as long as you give way and don't run anyone down I say go for it! But have a bell and use it appropriately to warn people you are coming.

mimsum Wed 19-Aug-09 22:54:47

I usually get the kids to cycle on the pavement and I cycle alongside them on the road. I wouldn't let them cycle along a really busy pavement though - more to stop them being knocked off really! so when we get to places like the High Street we get off and push, however I normally do back routes which avoid that problem or go on roads where the pavements are really wide (thankyou, to the original developers of Balham High Road!)

cazzybabs Wed 19-Aug-09 23:00:17

i either cycle behind the dds or on the road with them on pavement.

GrimmaTheNome Wed 19-Aug-09 23:13:54

I would, but only if there was a low density of pedestrians. If I'm on a cycle path we use our bells to warn, but if on a pavement, I think the onus is totally on the cyclist to avoid the pedestrians, if necessary stopping or walking.

Overmydeadbody Wed 26-Aug-09 21:57:55

You cycle on the road and your DS cycles on the pavement, until you are confident enough for them to join you on the road.

There is no point in you cycling along the pavement behind him anyway, and it is illegal, so don't do it.

Overmydeadbody Wed 26-Aug-09 22:01:38

And if you're on the pavement, cycling, don't bloody well ring your bell at pedestrains (unless it is a cycle bath). If you're going to crash into them get off the bike.

Bells are to let pedestrians and other cyclists know yothere when you're on a cycle path or shared cycle/pedestrian path, not for pavements.

LollipopViolet Mon 31-Aug-09 20:11:18

Awww, I had a feeling bikes on pavements were illegal I'm visually impaired so I've got no hope of being able to cycle now that I know that (little peripheral vision so roads would be v. dangerous for me- they are for anyone but you know what I mean).

Afrodizziac Tue 01-Sep-09 20:16:15

Thanks, all!

I am a little bit over the idea of cycling to school, for it seems that whatever we do, someone will take offence/ drive into my DD! London is not really a cycle-friendly place, is it? [understatement emoticon]

fridayschild Fri 04-Sep-09 13:30:51

I agree about you not cycling on the pavement. I feel very strongly about this, actually.

On the common can you not divert onto the grass if there are pedestrians?

How busy is your route to school? My DCs cycle to school, going all over the pavement. Sometimes my neighbour's two kids come with us and we are certainly a hazard to infirm pedestrians [ sad]. I tend to try to run with them and then shriek at them if they are dangerous. This has little effect on the cycling style but I hope it makes the pedestrian feel better to know they have been told off. The children understand to avoid and be careful around littler children, but don't "get" that they need to look out for grown ups at all.

That said, our school route is very quiet. Really there are only people going to the school, and one or two people going to the bus stop.

They are getting better at cycling in a straight line as they get older. About to start Year 2 on Monday.

TrillianAstra Fri 04-Sep-09 13:35:35

You would be more in people's way if you cycled at small-child pace on the road.
I say do it, but it is absolutely your responsibility to stay out of people's way.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now