Talk

Advanced search

Children's golf woes

(9 Posts)
abraid Wed 12-Aug-09 14:07:11

Does anyone know about golf? Specifically children learning?

This is my issue: both my children: nearly 11 and 12.5, have been having golf lessons. They both do a lot of sport of various kinds and there have never been any problems with attitude, etc, over the years. They also get good school reports for sport and general behaviour: they're both regarded as 'nice', polite, children.

The coaches (there are two or three) seem to give them a lot of red and yellow cards for all kinds of reasons. I know etiquette is important in golf but my two are now utterly fed up. Because they're the eldest in their group they say they get cards where other children don't (a younger boy was heard swearing today: no card for him but my son got a red card for picking up a ball when he wasn't supposed to).

They're apparently doing quite well but are mystified as to why they're always in trouble. The coaches are both quite young: seem nice enough, but they're succeeding in putting off my two. 'I think it's really snooty game,' my son said on the way home. 'They just want to catch you out all the time.'

Is it just golf? Or should I be looking for another club/different coaches?

MollieO Wed 12-Aug-09 23:37:00

My ds (5) has just started with some of his friends and no red or yellow cards for them. Instead they are having lots of fun and being introduced to the rules of golf and how to play. I would find another coach if I were you.

DidEinsteinsMum Wed 12-Aug-09 23:37:59

could try asking the coaches about the reasons behind the logic in the red card system. My ds is hopefully going to start formal golf lessons next year. He is likely to upset the others in the way that any red card system is applied. he is suspected to be aspergers and has to handled carefully when being placed under stress. Although his peadiatrician recommend he start golf at 2 to help his brain and behaviour. You dont know if there is a reason for the way the rules are. It might be that the coaches think that your ds' are nearly ready to start more formal playing (Does the club do junior competitions?)and therefore pickyness on rules is more the level of their development then the others but i doubt it would hurt to speak to the coaches about the effect it is having.

Otherwise i would consider looking for an alternative. Young coaches dont always have the life experience of more experienced coaches.

abraid Thu 13-Aug-09 18:35:39

Thanks for those comments! It may just be that they are older, as you say, but that hte coaches don't realise they still need more carrots than sticks.

We have one more lesson booked but I'm tempted just to give it a break, tbh. No point in putting them off. They are actually both doing quite well, too.

DidEinsteinsMum Thu 13-Aug-09 19:12:58

Golf is something they can always come back to. My ex has an on off relationship to golf and also is very much a fair weather golfer wink My contribution to ds' golf: stamp your feet, wiggle your bum and swing.

In case you wonder he is only 4 1/2 though and it helps him to focus and not get so frustrated. Feel a prat sometimes though blush

abraid Fri 14-Aug-09 09:55:56

DidEinsteinsMum. You're right: it if doesn't work out this summer, there's plenty of time and at least they know some of the basics now.

DidEinsteinsMum Sat 15-Aug-09 01:38:35

Just thought, if it is the formal rules that are an issue have you just thought about taking to the driving range to hit a few balls and see you can get furthest, thus making it a game and putting some fun back in. We just go as and when and buy a range token. There are only 3 rules: No shouting, safe behaviour and listen.

Safe behaviour - not fetching balls off range, not standing behind other golfers, etc.

enjoy the summer.

WriggleJiggle Sat 15-Aug-09 04:28:05

I'd certainly try changing coaches. Golf, like any sport should be enjoyable when you're learning and playing. Golf is a great sport to learn, and if the coach is putting them off they really need to change coaches. It just sounds like bad coaching to me. Coaches are there to encourage not discourage.

It sounds as though the golf coaching is doing more harm than good at the moment.

New (positive) coach = new (positive) experience

abra1d Sun 16-Aug-09 16:46:51

Thanks again, for the suggestions. I think we may do the range/or the change (!).

The coach is quite a young man. Perhaps he feels he has to be on their case all the time for the purposes of discipline.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now