Talk

Advanced search

Does anyone have any tips for getting very fit from being very unfit?

(3 Posts)
LadyOfWaffle Sat 08-Aug-09 14:47:20

DH is joining the RAF in about 10 months so needs to work alot alot on his fitness. He is going from about as unfit as he has ever been , and overweight to needing to be able to do 6-8 mile jogs and 1.5miles under 10 minutes. Mentally he is very up to it, but I am trying to find out the best way of going about it as the last thing we want is an injury. Would it be wise to take it very slowly, or just start and see how he gets on? He went for his first actual jog this morning after night shift so have yet to ask how he got on - wondered if we should map out 1.5mile and get the time shorter, or he should just see how long he can jog for?

They (RAF) recommend aerobic, muscle and flexibility training so I wondered how much of each he should be doing also? He used to be quite bulky and not so althletic so how can he stop becoming too muscular and more athletic? Sorry, lots of questions ! Any tips at all would be appreciated. Thankyou

RubberDuck Sat 08-Aug-09 14:50:56

Is this any good to you, LadyOfWaffle?

Get Army Fit

Personally though, I would consider joining a gym and get proper advice on a safe program tailored personally to your dh. Not cheap, of course, but considering he needs it for his career it would probably be worth it.

LadyOfWaffle Sat 08-Aug-09 21:16:06

That is excellent - thankyou! We thought about joining the gym when just jogging, walking and cycling weren't enough but I see your point, it probably would be the best idea, or hire a person trainer [sob] Thankyou!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now