Talk

Advanced search

Barefoot running? Anyone tried this?

(13 Posts)
OrmIrian Wed 05-Aug-09 19:19:52

I am mulling this over. I have tough old soles and I am seriously tempted by the idea of potentially fewer foot/leg injuries. Walked about 3 miles today sans feet and I did get the feeling I was walking in a more natural balanced way - but it's a big step (no pun intended) to running.

OrmIrian Wed 05-Aug-09 19:20:21

sans shoes not sans feet. Oh dear....it's been a long day.

blametheparents Wed 05-Aug-09 19:21:11

Interesting.
Will watch this one with interest.
Would you road run?

MummyElk Wed 05-Aug-09 19:26:26

oooh i read a really interesting review about a book about this.
www.amazon.co.uk/Born-Run-ultra-runners-Ultra-running-Super-athlete/dp/1861978235/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8 &s=books&qid=1249496662&sr=1-2

I think I would. but it's a bit of a commitment. and quite a cultish thing to do? but it intrigues me. the guy who wrote the book above was amazing about it

OrmIrian Wed 05-Aug-09 19:31:24

It's what I mainly do blame. I have tried off-roading but the fps round here are impenetrable hmm

themoon Wed 05-Aug-09 19:36:03

I think you would be okay on grass or sand, but the impact of concrete paving slabs would knacker your joints.

OrmIrian Wed 05-Aug-09 19:38:47

Apparently not moon. According to the article in our paper.

blametheparents Wed 05-Aug-09 19:47:02

I know it sounds weird, but would running in just socks give the same effect and benefits?
It would just give your feet a little bit of protection from stones, broken paving slabs etc.

I have very sore heels at the moment and am not running while taking meds from the doctor, and although they feel better I suspect it is due to not exercising and the meds, as soon as I run again I am gueeing it will hurt. I intend to invest in some new trainers (again!) to try and help, but your theory is interesting.

OrmIrian Wed 05-Aug-09 20:10:42

It might help. But I suspect the socks might have to be chucked grin

I am also wounded - I broke a metatarsal last summer and there has been a niggle since then. Flared up again last week and had to walk back from a 10miler on Sunday. That has been the major incentive for me to think about it.

liath Wed 05-Aug-09 22:42:58

I've been dipping my toes into this, so to speak. Haven't read the book but it sounds fascinating. There are some reasonable websites about it and a forum in the US runners world. I think the main thing is that the transition has to be really slow as your feet won't be used to running without shoes. It's good fun, though despite the seriosuly funny looks you get off people.

PerArduaAdNauseum Wed 05-Aug-09 22:46:15

According to this, you don't have to be shoeless to be barefoot - here. I don't run but I do have a pair of these and it's an addictive sensation - walking over sharp gravel transforms to a foot massage... Mmm...

daftpunk Wed 05-Aug-09 22:46:19

have done it on the beach...never on grass, might try it though..

RemyMartin Wed 02-Sep-09 16:45:08

I love the idea of this, have you tried it yet? I would be worried about dogshit though!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now