Talk

Advanced search

Anyone roadbiking ladies on here?

(24 Posts)
Platesmasher Sun 02-Aug-09 22:30:20

DH is a keen cyclist and I'm starting to think I might take it up.

Am doing 10 mile rides on my mountain bike at the moment and am contemplating getting a road bike through the bike to work scheme.

What bike do you have?
What tips can you give a beginner?
and Is it ok to take it up when you are way bigger than any other road cyclist you've ever seen and will look hideous in all that lycra?

grin
TIA

Platesmasher Sun 02-Aug-09 22:49:46

really no-one?

HowVeryDareYou Sun 02-Aug-09 22:55:33

Similar position - currently have a v old MB but want to get a Specialized Dolce (or similar) but... am nervous about clip in pedals & drop handle bars, yes, I KNOW hat's what makes it a road bike but it's a very different position from a mountain bike so am umming & ahhing.

New 2010 models are out so I'm hoping people might upgarade & put their old ones on ebay for me to bid on!

Currently doing 70+ miles a week but would like to go further faster!

Don't worry about the lycra aspect, you will be going too fast for anyone to clock what you look like!

Platesmasher Sun 02-Aug-09 23:01:37

oh hello,
yes got my eye on the specialized dolce too. my MTB is specialized too so feel confident it'll be a decent bike. think i prefer the 2009 colour, not sure there is any difference other than that?

have used the SPD pedals before and gave myself a nice concussion when i fell down a hole in the lake district. it wasn't pretty and i don't wear them now.

although tonight i was cruising along at a fair speed and thought the pedals would be good at that particular moment. my main worry is unclipping quick enough and falling the wrong way.

we recently moved from very hilly devon where i would not have considered it, but now we are in a much more rolling landscape, it's much more fun.

paddingtonbear1 Sun 02-Aug-09 23:03:48

hi there, I am a keen cyclist - I think there are a few of us on here, maybe noone around at the moment!
I ride to work 3 days a week. I've got a few bikes - my fave is my touring bike but I don't often take it to work as it's worth a fair bit. I tend to take my 'hybrid' which is a cross between a mountain bike and a 'road' bike. Proper mountain bikes are too slow on the road I find, but a lot of road bikes have drop handlebars which I like but I wouldn't recommend for a beginner. A hybrid has straight handlebars, is sturdy but the tyres aren't as thick as mountain bikes, and is fine for roads and some cycle paths. Have you got a local bike shop you can go and try a few out?
Don't worry about all the lycra - I do wear some and I'm not exactly skinny! But the trousers I tend to wear aren't the really skin tight type, they're the baggier sort.
If you lived near me I could introduce you to my club, there's lots of other women and we really like to encourage new cyclists!

paddingtonbear1 Sun 02-Aug-09 23:07:07

I don't use the clip in pedals either - my dad does but I get a bit nervous about them. The other week someone from my club skidded on mud and went into the canal - OMG! she didn't have those pedals fortunately. Some people love them though.
specialized are generally decent bikes, a couple of the ladies in the club have those.

Platesmasher Sun 02-Aug-09 23:08:35

I've heard that a few other women in the area have recently started roadbiking and are trying to put together a club so now would be a good time to join...before they get too fast!

I'm in Dumfries and Galloway.

I will need a very small frame and it seems most shops stock larger ones for 'trying on'.

paddingtonbear1 Sun 02-Aug-09 23:16:07

nowhere near me then - I'm near manchester. My hybrid was fairly cheap as they go, and I didn't get that much choice for trying as I'm only 5ft tall! Bike shops will order stuff in though, one of our club had to wait a couple of weeks for hers recently (think it was a specialized, can;t remember the model)

flippineck Sun 02-Aug-09 23:29:57

Yep, I'm a keen cyclist. Well, was - baby number two is 12 weeks old and I haven't been on my bike since February of this year when my bump was getting too big!

I really would recommend trying a bike in a bike shop if you can. I was convinced that a Specialized Dolce was THE bike for me until I rode it, I bought a Trek WSD in the end, but was also tempted by a Bianchi.

The women in my cycling club are all completely different shapes and sizes, and range from teenagers to octogenarians! All wear whatever is most comfortable for cycling, not what looks best. I do wear (some) lycra for the functionality and I admit I don't look wonderful in it.

As mentioned above I have a Trek road bike, that's my going out on my own fast(ish) bike, but I use a mountain bike with slick tyres for my everyday carting children around bike as it's more stable with a baby seat on the back and has a sloping top tube so easier to get on and off without hitting said child.

I do use SPDs on my road bike - I think they're great, more efficient pedalling, better positioning etc. They're really easy to get used to as well, you can adjust the release so that it's easy to get your feet out. Oh, and expect to come off a couple of times while you are learning, it's part of the deal! I don't use the SPDs on my mountian bike.

It's a good idea to join a club if you can - good motivation, meet new people and discover routes you never knew about. They're usually a good source of spares and advice on all sorts of things too.

Hope you get some more useful suggestions. Enjoy!

bloss Sun 02-Aug-09 23:45:47

Message withdrawn

Platesmasher Mon 03-Aug-09 16:46:49

great thanks.

have applied to my works cyclescheme today for my voucher. i don't have any way of sitting on any of these bikes as there are no shops locally that stock the small frames all the time. so sorry flippineck

the local bike shop however have ordered the specialized dolce for me. if it's not right I don't have to buy it as they are happy that they will be able to sell it anyway.

got some good advice on the local ladies that have just started getting together and it does sound like the ideal time to join...before they get too fast.

will dust off my spd's and give them a try when i get the bike

thanks for the advice all.

Platesmasher Tue 04-Aug-09 19:28:17

Can anybody recommend me some cycling clothes for women who aren't skinny...yet. grin

lljkk Thu 13-Aug-09 19:02:17

If it's not too hot, why not tracky bottoms and a t-shirt, Platesmasher? Just whatever is comfortable, really. You don't need special clothes at all. For hotter weather I often wear some light weight cotton 3/4 length trousers that I can roll up to just above the knees. Either that or just ordinary shorts.

You can browse the cycling shops for some padded shorts that look like ordinary shorts, if you need some padding down there. You can even buy 'inners': basically, padded cycling underwear that you can wear under something else.

Lycra still insulates when wet, is light-weight, relatively aerodynamic, and dries quickly if you get caught in a shower. But in most situations Lycra doesn't offer immense advantages over most other fabrics, so hardly necessary except for competitive riding.

justineandcarrieneedanewlawyer Sun 16-Aug-09 18:42:04

thanks lljkk.
i get my bike some time next week and am so excited. my sister is picking hers up the week after.
i'm going to go to a shop and try some stuff on and see what feels comfortable physically and 'psychologically'.

still ploughing on with riding my mountain bike 2-3 times a week until i get my new bike though.

justineandcarrieneedanewlawyer Sun 16-Aug-09 18:44:08

platesmasher here btw

justineandcarrieneedanewlawyer Sun 16-Aug-09 22:03:43

another 10 miles tonight. feeling fitter already.

mimsum Sun 16-Aug-09 22:18:40

this place does lovely, droolsome cycling clothes for women - they even have a plus size section

justineandcarrieneedanewlawyer Sun 16-Aug-09 22:21:45

thankyou!

lljkk Mon 17-Aug-09 08:41:08

Good 4 U, J&CNAL.
DC were rowing 4 ages about where 2 go yesterday, so I finally pedalled off w/out them (harsh Mom alert blush). I Covered about 20 miles in the end.

TheDMshouldbeRivened Mon 17-Aug-09 08:50:18

i don't wear lycra. Ghastly stuff.

Doyouthinktheysaurus Mon 17-Aug-09 09:00:40

I wear baggy shorts with a padded liner which are great. They are comfortable and really high waisted so you aren't showing you back while cycling.

They are really lightweight fabric too so they dry out really quickly if they get wet.

I'm not brave enough to wear lycra yet.

branflake81 Wed 19-Aug-09 10:40:22

I'm glad I found thsi thread.

My DP is a keen cyclist and although I have a mountain bike I struggle with it and think I'd quite like a slick road bike.

I borrowed my dad's and although it was too big for me it has really encouraged me to look for a bike.

Bit nervous about the traffic though!

Platesmasher Wed 19-Aug-09 20:30:24

just tractors round here.

i bet your DP knows some good routes that avoid the worst traffic. but then most cyclists love to get a map out too. be prepared to be bored.

Platesmasher Sun 23-Aug-09 09:33:19

yikes.
just ordered some ladies bib tights.
the look bizarre but i'm assured nobody will see the bib part.
am going to wear DH's jerseys for now.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now