Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

How much easier is a cross trainer than running?

(15 Posts)
giraffesCanRunA10k Fri 24-Jul-09 13:24:26

I know this is a rather random question, but a sort of "lots easier" or "a bit easier" answer will do!

So for example if I did a distance of 10k on a cross trainer, how much easier is that than what running 10k on a treadmill is going to be?

giraffesCanRunA10k Fri 24-Jul-09 23:58:16

moondog Fri 24-Jul-09 23:59:45

It's easier, depending on what resistance you put it at, but it is bloody boring.Personally,I think running the only way to go.Do you run insode or outside or both?

dinny Sat 25-Jul-09 00:01:15

ooooh, I always wonder this too....

what would be a good workout on X trainer?

Heated Sat 25-Jul-09 00:06:56

Well it's easier on the knees, that's for sure. I built up a good sweat on the xtrainer and have quite taut arms as well, but I miss the striding out. I watch Hugh Laurie's House while training, otherwise it would be monumentally boring.

giraffesCanRunA10k Sat 25-Jul-09 00:47:03

Run inside and outside - much prefer outside running, always think I am going to fall off a treadmill! But I have paid up for the gym so figure I should use it, do you know what resistance would be a good level to be closer to running?

It is boring but I can have music on and close my eyes - I can't close my eyes on the treadmill.

Run outside as well but have no idea how to work out distances!

moondog Sat 25-Jul-09 01:03:33

Measure a route out in your car.
I have a 10 k one that i like.What I do is get someone to drop me and then I run home. That gives me a psychological boost.If I ran in a circle, would feel like a hamster.

Good point re eye closing!

I find what has made an exercise routine sustainable for me is doing a variety of stuff-walking, swimming, running, aerobics, other gym stuff.

I am presently struggling with heat and humidity in bangladesh which is a killer-even in a gym with a/c!

moondog Sat 25-Jul-09 01:04:46

Stairmaster thingy good for stamina and calorie burning.
Rowing also good.

giraffesCanRunA10k Sat 25-Jul-09 16:01:14

Thanks moondog. I might try that - get the bus and run home. I am impressed at you going to the gym in that heat and humidity! Is that where you live? It makes me feel bad for not running today and just doing a 6k walk instead because its sunny and warm blush

giraffesCanRunA10k Sat 25-Jul-09 16:02:26

Ah unfortunately I can't row - have a bad wrist injury and am waiting for operation to fix it so rowing is too much strain.

moondog Sat 25-Jul-09 16:06:45

Bangladesh some of the time as dh works here.Much easier to run in the hills of Snowdonia!
A 6 km walk is great though.

BikeRunSki Sat 25-Jul-09 16:28:05

You can measure your run routes on line, here map your passion. You need to join the Real Buzz website, but it's a really nice, chatty, helpful site for hobby sporty people.

BikeRunSki Sat 25-Jul-09 16:30:08

Back to your original Q though - I find teh cross trainer much easier than running, but prefer running outdoors to anything in the gym.

Joolsiam Sat 25-Jul-09 16:33:59

I set the cross-trainer on random, level 14 and try to vary the speed to get in a bit of interval training - sprint when the resistance is lower and slow down on the climbs.

I attempted the treadmill for the first time around 2 months ago - found it much, much harder

dinny Sat 25-Jul-09 17:22:23

can someone tell me a good weekyl routine on x-trainer to lose post-preg weight and increase fitness levels.... i love running but it's just not realistic atm (new baby)

how many times a week, how long? thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now