Talk

Advanced search

Want to start running but no idea where to start.

(14 Posts)
Kayzr Thu 23-Jul-09 09:40:37

I'd like to start running to help me lose weight and to help tone up.

All I really know is that I need some decent footwear. But not sure what is good and what isn't.

Thanks

cocolepew Thu 23-Jul-09 09:45:32

Get a pair of decent, comfortable trainers, I got Nike Run ones ffor around £20 in a sale. Try to get ones with good support. I started running in New Balance trainers because I know a lot of people rate them. I've ended up with plantar fasciitis and had to stop running.

Good luck smile

Cataline Thu 23-Jul-09 09:46:02

There's actually a great article in this months Slimming World magazine. It's aimed at absolute beginners and seems to be an easy peasy 10wk programme starting off really slow. I did the first one last nifght and feel fin ethis morning so it must be good!

There are tips about footwear and stretches too.

Cataline Thu 23-Jul-09 09:47:03

apologies for typos! It's the Aug/Sep issue btw.

belgo Thu 23-Jul-09 09:47:33

Go to a proper sportswear shop, one that will put you on a treadmill and analyse the way you walk and run, and put together with your weight, find the best trainers. This is very important for the health of your joints.

I personally wouldn't advise running if you are very overweight, as it will put a strain on your joints. You'd be better off losing the weight first and toning up with lower impact exercise such as cycling or swimming, or even just fast walking, in particular hill walking.

weblette Thu 23-Jul-09 09:51:41

A proper, well-fitted sports bra is also a complete must.

This thread has some great advice.

Good luck!

RedLollyYellowLolly Thu 23-Jul-09 09:51:57

Footwear - agree that a decent shop with a gait analyser is the best way to go. You shouldn't find yourself pressured to spend more than you should spend on decent running shoes elsewhere - c. £75/80 - but obv. you could spend less on the highstreet.

Sportsbra!

Stopwatch

Start slowly. Run/walk sessions and don't try to run for more than 30 secs-1 min intervals to start with. Build up slowly.

Have fun! grin

Kayzr Thu 23-Jul-09 09:55:16

Thanks. There is a running shop in the big city near me so will go there.

Annner Fri 24-Jul-09 22:04:35

(shyly enters thread)

I did the first run of the first week of Couch25K today, and it wasn't too bad. Go for it!

LolaLadybird Sun 26-Jul-09 21:59:14

The Runners World website has a really good beginners section here and most of it is accessible without subscribing.

misdee Sun 26-Jul-09 22:00:25

there is a fantastic podcast for running, will try and find it. i heart Rob lol.

misdee Sun 26-Jul-09 22:01:53

here

janmoomoo Sun 26-Jul-09 22:56:20

I have used those podcasts, they are really great. Brilliant for a beginner.

I reiterate everyone elses point about going to a proper sports shop and getting fitted for trainers. Better to pay more than have cheap trainers you cant use because of injury.

Also it is brilliant motivation to actually enter a race about 8-12 weeks away, that will make sure you train! Look on runners world.

Merle Fri 31-Jul-09 09:10:40

Kayzr you could also look into what's going on at your local running club. Some of them have beginner's/ladies running groups. They are really good and suppportive/social. You would get some excellent training advice and it would be a lot easier to keep going. Where's your closest town?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now