Talk

Advanced search

Bike carriers for cars

(8 Posts)
BlueKangerooWonders Fri 10-Jul-09 11:44:35

Anyone know where I can go for advice for the above?

Don't really want to show up at Halfords with all dc in tow - is there somewhere I can read up first? Thanks.

SexyDomesticatedDad Fri 10-Jul-09 16:51:12

Look on the Halfords website - its quite good (no I don't work for them).

GrimmaTheNome Fri 10-Jul-09 16:55:05

My DH did ask at Halfords, as it happens. The advice was that the best carriers are the ones which attach to a towbar rather than strapped to the car. (it does depend on what sort of back end your car has of course. Also how tall and strong you are.).

So we got a towbar fitted and ordered a midpriced carrier... which didn't arrive in time so the garage let us have a top-of-the-range Thule carrier instead at cost... still £££ but tis fab, really easy to load the bikes.

SexyDomesticatedDad Fri 10-Jul-09 17:01:18

We have a Galaxy / Sharan / Alhambra which you can get a special rack that is custom designed to 'hang' onto the rear door and clamps to the underside - its fab too and saves having to be 7' tall to load up bikes to the roof.

Thule is very good - Halfords have a sale on right now - the Thule one for one bike is around £75 and fits onto your roof bars. May need an extra bike when we go away so was looking there earlier today.

BlueKangerooWonders Fri 10-Jul-09 17:03:40

Thanks all. We've got a Toyota Verso, and I can't find any info specific to that. The towbar thing is interesting. Roofbox.com seemed to be quite good as well.

GrimmaTheNome Fri 10-Jul-09 17:05:39

bikes on roofs are strictly for fit young men with very light road bikes. Not short mums with heavy mountain bikes!

lisad123 Fri 10-Jul-09 17:12:41

it all depends on how your boot opens. I got mine from freecycle

GrimmaTheNome Fri 10-Jul-09 17:17:12

I think there are more options for something with a fairly vertical back like a verso than if it had a sloping back.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now