Talk

Advanced search

Tour De France 2009 widows clubs

(23 Posts)
iMum Tue 07-Jul-09 08:59:16

Dont know if there is already a thread for this year.

Wasn't it exciting yesterday!!! Didnt Cav do well!

dh and ds1 were practically wetting themselves!

positiveattitudeonly Tue 07-Jul-09 16:32:38

Brill! I have been at work all day today, so will catch up this evening on today's action. Although I have updates on twitter constantly. Love it! Best 3 weeks of the year.

mrsmaidamess Tue 07-Jul-09 16:35:40

Oh I don't think I should be in this club. I thought it was going to be a place for Mnetters who are completely uninterested in the TDF , but their dh's are.

<skulks off>

GrapefruitMoon Tue 07-Jul-09 16:37:14

Err surely a widows club should be for those of us whose dhs/dps are obsessed, not those who enjoy it too? grin

GrapefruitMoon Tue 07-Jul-09 16:37:39

Crossed posts with MrsM!

mrsmaidamess Tue 07-Jul-09 16:40:17

FWIW my dh is off to Spain tomorrow to watch some mountain stages. he is taking his TDF officail survival pack (I kid you not) that I bought for him from Smiths.

ShowOfHands Tue 07-Jul-09 16:44:59

DH sulked for at least an hour yesterday because the bad man on the radio revealed Cavendish had won the stage before dh got to watch the highlights on ITV4. You'd think somebody had hidden his bike the way he was stomping about complaining.

Oh and 7pm btw? Thanks TV scheduling folks. That'll get dh out of any of the bath/bed routine for the next 3 weeks then.

I've memorised a few stock facts about Cavendish and Leipheimer so I can sound interested and knowledgeable occasionally. I'll gen up on Cadel Evans later in the week.

Bettymum Tue 07-Jul-09 16:48:28

<settles down on the sofa to watch three weeks of men in lycra, sad that Basso and Valverde aren't riding but hey we have Contador and his fluttery eyelashes>

Love it
Love it
Love it

grin

Bettymum Tue 07-Jul-09 16:49:40

ps. ShowofHands all you need to know about Evans is that he has a squeaky voice and if you step on his dog he'll kill you wink.

lljkk Tue 07-Jul-09 16:51:00

I think there should be a separate thread for fans and widows, too.
Luckily, DH & I are both fans.
Unluckily, DC all couldn't give a fig and spend all the time we try to watch it screeching in protest about this that and the other .
Don't know about widows, but DC's mother may be heading for prison if she follows her natural instincts to lock the lot of them in a cupboard each evening from 7-8pm.

ShowOfHands Tue 07-Jul-09 16:53:04

I do quite like it Bettymum but can't get dh to speak/act/move when it's on.

We're going to an MN meet-up in a couple of weeks- a bbq -and my dh and another MNer's DH are going to sit indoors and abuse the satellite television.

We like Euskatel-Euskadi here. Very colourful they are too.

Tillyscoutsmum Tue 07-Jul-09 16:54:38

I posted on the other one as well but that did seem to be for TDF enthusiasts rather than those of us who endure it for our dp's (and maybe occasionally enjoy the odd little bit of it....maybe.... just a teeny bit)

MrsM - was the survival guide the great big pack in a yellow box. I think dh has that as well.

DH has so far been watching the full 4 hour shows plus the highlights which is a bit annoying..... apparently you don't get the in depth interviews on the original shows hmm

DH is also pushing for Cavendish as a middle name if current baby is a boy (he did then ask whether I would consider it for a girl as well, but I had to draw the line somewhere !)

ShowOfHands Tue 07-Jul-09 16:55:48

Cadel Evans really, really annoys me. Yes, don't stand on his dog or he'll cut your head off. Pleasant.

ShowOfHands Tue 07-Jul-09 16:58:07

Tillyscoutsmum, grin

Cavendish? Seriously? He does know that the guy has a first name that's, you know, a first name?

Tillyscoutsmum Tue 07-Jul-09 17:07:55

I know grin I do quite like it though blush... There's a bit of trend for stupid unusual middle names in dh's family. Somerset, Rennie and Melbourne are amongst them shock. Mark is a bit, well, dull for a middle name don't you think ??

Cadel is quite a cool name but I agree, he doesn't seem to be a particularly likeable person

Bettymum Wed 08-Jul-09 11:18:18

Did you watch the team TT last night? I really really wanted Garmin to win, they were sooooo close. Very exciting when Astana came in 40 seconds ahead of Saxobank, but pleased that Cancellara stays in yellow for another day. Contador looked like he was working really really hard for the team. I love the team TTs, we went to watch one in Eindhoven a few years ago and it was so exciting, the riders are so FAST! Amazing when they come whizzing past.

EffieGadsby Wed 08-Jul-09 11:30:10

Could someone explain a little something for me please? Am a TdeF newbie. In Astana, they were all wearing the same jersey, except for Contador, whose jersey was the same style but had different colouring to the others (I think his had red bits where the others had blue bits). Why is that? Astana say there is no 'team leader' as such.

Kayzr Wed 08-Jul-09 11:32:56

Love it!!! I love these 3 weeks!! Poor DH has me stuck to the sofa and watching out for twitter updates from Armstrong and Leipheimer

Bettymum Wed 08-Jul-09 11:34:36

Hi Effie,
In the Tour you can wear your champion's jersey in that discipline. Because Contador is the Spanish TT champion, he can wear his Astana/Spanish champion kit. You won't see him wearing it on a normal road stage. You might also have seen one of the Garmin riders (have totally forgotten his name) wearing a natty Stars and Stripes kit, as he's the US TT champion.
And re the team leader well that's another story...it is allegedly a multi leader team Contador/Armstrong and maybe even Leipheimer.
You will soon be hooked! It is a total soap opera.

EffieGadsby Wed 08-Jul-09 11:50:55

Bettymum, thank you. So Contador won't be wearing a different jersey to his team mates today, as it's back to normal road stage. I'm doing as much reading as possible to swot up quickly, so I get the most out of it! It does seem very complex; I tried to learn a bit about it when I went to watch them go through Kent in 2007 (I think), but lost track of it last year. I feel I'm going to like cycling.

Bettymum Wed 08-Jul-09 12:25:19

Yes, that's right Effie. I am hoping to see him wearing the yellow jersey soon! (This is the jersey for the overall leader of the Tour).
We watched the start of the Tour in Hyde Park in 2007, it was so much fun. When David Millar went past I was leaping up and down like a mad thing cheering him on.
Then we went and tried to row a boat round the Serpentine. It's harder than it looks grin.

Bettymum Thu 09-Jul-09 09:09:08

I heart Thomas Voeckler!

Cosmosis Thu 09-Jul-09 16:32:20

I heart Voeckler too grin

Re Cadel Evans, all you need to know about him is he's a right wingey sod. And yes, definitely keep away from his dog!

ShowofHands does your DH not do what we do and not listen to the radio while the tour is on?!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now