Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Which martial art did you/your child choose and why?

(4 Posts)
ihatemyjob Mon 06-Jul-09 18:30:33

I was thinking of seeing if my 6 yr old would like to try a matial art but I know nothing about them. How do you choose; there seem to be so many (including one that at the same sport centre is spelled 2 different but similar ways depending on which day you do it.)

I suppose sometimes the choice would be whats on near you at a reasonable time and price.

One where you could try a few sessions before investing in clothing or equipment would be good.

I also read of some that let adults and children learn together which could be quite fun.

Any thoughts greatly appreciated.

Jux Mon 06-Jul-09 18:38:28

DD wanted karate and went for a while but I think the guy running the classes was a bit of a wild boy and disappeared. She'd still like to do it, but I have not yet been able to get her to sensible lessons.

I, however, have just started Tai Chi. It is a very undemanding class for people with disabilities so it's very gently done and the teacher gives us a rest after each movement - we flop down in our chairs grinning thankfullygrin

RubberDuck Mon 06-Jul-09 18:45:20

TBH it's the teacher that makes everything - see if you can go for a trial class for a few of them or sit in. Avoid like the plague any McDojos (if there's really young kids who are blackbelts then they're dishing them like sweeties/grading frequently to get as much cash out of you as possible and has no real meaning or achievement).

Personally, I do Wing Chun (which is a chinese martial art/style of Kung Fu that Bruce Lee originally trained in), but I'm not sure how well it would translate to a child's class - I can come home VERY bruised some weeks, though I expect they're much more careful (and more evenly matched) in a child's class.

My instructor is extremely good and I get a lot out the class - he pushes us hard. I get to wear street clothes not an expensive outfit, which is a huge bonus too in my book.

I think the type of martial art matters less than the actual instructor/school set up really. Go to a few, see what the vibe is, don't panic the first time your child gets sent home bruised.

ihatemyjob Tue 07-Jul-09 18:42:51

thanks for that. I will definitely do a trial class or two.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now