Talk

Advanced search

Which martial art did you/your child choose and why?

(4 Posts)
ihatemyjob Mon 06-Jul-09 18:30:33

I was thinking of seeing if my 6 yr old would like to try a matial art but I know nothing about them. How do you choose; there seem to be so many (including one that at the same sport centre is spelled 2 different but similar ways depending on which day you do it.)

I suppose sometimes the choice would be whats on near you at a reasonable time and price.

One where you could try a few sessions before investing in clothing or equipment would be good.

I also read of some that let adults and children learn together which could be quite fun.

Any thoughts greatly appreciated.

Jux Mon 06-Jul-09 18:38:28

DD wanted karate and went for a while but I think the guy running the classes was a bit of a wild boy and disappeared. She'd still like to do it, but I have not yet been able to get her to sensible lessons.

I, however, have just started Tai Chi. It is a very undemanding class for people with disabilities so it's very gently done and the teacher gives us a rest after each movement - we flop down in our chairs grinning thankfullygrin

RubberDuck Mon 06-Jul-09 18:45:20

TBH it's the teacher that makes everything - see if you can go for a trial class for a few of them or sit in. Avoid like the plague any McDojos (if there's really young kids who are blackbelts then they're dishing them like sweeties/grading frequently to get as much cash out of you as possible and has no real meaning or achievement).

Personally, I do Wing Chun (which is a chinese martial art/style of Kung Fu that Bruce Lee originally trained in), but I'm not sure how well it would translate to a child's class - I can come home VERY bruised some weeks, though I expect they're much more careful (and more evenly matched) in a child's class.

My instructor is extremely good and I get a lot out the class - he pushes us hard. I get to wear street clothes not an expensive outfit, which is a huge bonus too in my book.

I think the type of martial art matters less than the actual instructor/school set up really. Go to a few, see what the vibe is, don't panic the first time your child gets sent home bruised.

ihatemyjob Tue 07-Jul-09 18:42:51

thanks for that. I will definitely do a trial class or two.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: