Talk

Advanced search

A question or two about Running

(18 Posts)
morethanyoubargainfor Sat 04-Jul-09 19:03:00

I decided to start running, and went out on my first run 11 days ago. I am following a programme for complete beginers but started on week 2 as i walk for approx 2 hours a day so felt i didn't need to that bit iykwim.

I have been following plan to the letter running 5 days out of 7 and increasing times slowly. Here is my question, according to my plan today i should have anohter increase so i am doing 5 minutes of walking to 4 minutes of running for 30 minutes. I have just got back but i struggled to do 2 miuntes of running but i find 5 minutes of walking too long so have been doing 4.
Why can't run for longer? yesterday i was comfortably running for 2.40 and walking for 4. Am i expecting too much?

Can i havae any tips on how to increase running time, because apparently next wednesday i am supposed to be able to do 5 and 5, that doesn't seem achievable at this time. I am startin to worry that i am going to fail at this and really don't want to sad

I NEED HELP! (sorry to shout but i am desperate and have AF today!)

morethanyoubargainfor Sat 04-Jul-09 19:48:46

grin

DrNortherner Sat 04-Jul-09 19:50:58

What are you eating before you go out and how long before you run?

morethanyoubargainfor Sat 04-Jul-09 20:27:26

Well i have to confess that eating isn't my favourite pastime and i often forgot to eat blush

I aam a fan of carb based food though, but i suppose thinking about it i often have lunch around mid day but then run in the late afternoon/evening, tonigh i went out at 6pm but hadn't eaten since 12.

Being ignorant would that really make a huge difference?

Also does the heat impact on you?

Twink Sat 04-Jul-09 20:58:14

Am in a rush now, or would answer properly but if you come over to the runners thread I'm sure you'll get some good advice.

morethanyoubargainfor Sat 04-Jul-09 21:06:05

Thanks twink, have done.

Furball Sat 04-Jul-09 21:27:42

I find that if I don't have a days break, I can hardly run at all.

I've learnt my lesson, go every other day and have been fine for the last 18 months!

notyummy Sat 04-Jul-09 21:35:45

Heat def has an impact.

You say you walk - do you power walk so you are out of breath?

The hardest thing about starting running is getting used to really pushing yourself aerobically. It feels hard! You do need to push yourself a bit though or you will never get beyond this barrier. Keep go for the requisite time, even if it is just a verrry slow jog.

Are you listening to music? The right music can help a lot.

morethanyoubargainfor Sat 04-Jul-09 21:46:28

Yes i listen to the rock and R &B tracks and find that helps.

When i walk i walk incredibly fast as that is my naturual pace, sometimes out of breath and i do power walk in betwenn running sessions.

I have rest days mondays and Fridays as per plan, and stick to it all other times apart from running times, ( i do push myself and find some running easier than others on the same run IYKWIM).

On Thursday i was walking for 4 mins then runnig for 3 and found that comfortable with a 5 second walk after about 2.30mins.

I feel it in my knee really as it has had 15 years of abuse for being my lead knee in nursing!

I am hoping once it cools down a bit i will find it a little easier to keep to times.

notyummy Sat 04-Jul-09 21:52:04

You prob will -sounds like you are doing the right things. I run reg but find the heat very sapping. Make sure you well hydrated when you start. Food makes some difference, but TBH, at the start when you are doing realtively short distances I don't think it would be the critical factor. It would tend to have an impact if you were running 40 mins or more.

morethanyoubargainfor Sat 04-Jul-09 21:57:16

40 mins! are you mad! grin <<whisphers hopefully by October!>>

I have to admit i HATE carrying things so never take water with me and don't always drink loads before i set of.

I also run on roads and pavements as i find it more difficult to run on grass, it is the opposite to when i am walking.

I also have to remember 18 months ago i wasn't really a walker but now will happily walk up to 15-20 miles in one day ( and regualry do if i have lots of dogs in) and took part in the moonwalk this year. I am just impatient!

lulalullabye Sat 04-Jul-09 22:05:23

Just a quick question, how does nursing affect your knees ?

morethanyoubargainfor Sat 04-Jul-09 22:27:57

You are always on them!

Especially when moving paralysed patients in and around thier beds etc, trust me it affects them!

morethanyoubargainfor Sat 04-Jul-09 22:28:50

and using them, bending so many times a day to help with stockings,socks,shoes etc.

You would be amazed!

lulalullabye Sat 04-Jul-09 22:50:28

I must have been lucky after 18 yrs then grin

maltesers Sat 04-Jul-09 22:58:04

MORETHAN....for. I am a fitness instructor and do go jogging sometimes...1-2x per week. Some days you just feel more sluggish than other days.. there is not always any proper reason that you can pinpoint. Well done, keep going. Music with a good beat that you like gets you moving..eat well and drink water.
Dont forget to eat....its very important...carbohydrates and sugar for you ...sounds like you need the energy as you are not a good eater...
Eat cereals, bread, cake, milk (not skimmed)
Fruit, dairy the lot really...
Dont smoke (if you do)
Rest and get your sleep.

Good luck !

morethanyoubargainfor Sun 05-Jul-09 10:01:44

thanks maltesers, i don't smoke, gave up 7 years ago. Before that was on 50 a day so wouldn't have been able to un then!!

I really do need to concertrate more on eaing, i will try grin

Lula, You certainly are one of the lucky ones!

lulalullabye Sun 05-Jul-09 11:06:39

I have to admit, I do have knee problems but from horse riding when I was younger. Had no problems for the last 15yrs until I started to run 2 mths ago shock

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now