Talk

Advanced search

I feel like I'm about to sign my life away

(13 Posts)
LollipopViolet Sat 04-Jul-09 18:21:46

And in a way, I am. Basically, I'm 19 and bad lifestyle choices mean I'm, quite frankly, fat and grotesque. So, yesterday I tried the gym my friends all go to regularly, and enjoyed it, my mum wants to go, to use the sunbeds hmm and has said to get a membership. And tomorrow, she's taking me to sort it out. So soon, I shall be able to look at photos of me and not feel ashamed. But....I dunno, I've always had pay per use gym membership, at a diff gym, and it never lasted...hopefully this will, especially if my friends go.

It's Fitness First if you're interested, any experiences/stories/workout tips for me? I loved the atmosphere and the staff were brilliant, but I so can't afford to keep buying day passes. I'm going for the £17.95 p/m Express membership. Hmmmm, with my mum coming too, I wonder if she's going to surprise me by paying... doubt it, but either way, I don't mind

Joolsiam Sat 04-Jul-09 18:30:21

I've been with Fitness First for years and I love it

Cheap and cheerful but very friendly. I don't know what Express membership gives you, but if you can get to studio classes, I'd highly recommend them I find I work much harder in group exercise classes, it is more fun, I've made friends and really really look forward to going

LollipopViolet Sat 04-Jul-09 19:02:27

Express membership is just for my home club (which is a Fitness First Express) and I think it lets me use whatever I fancy, I just have to pay £1 a visit, much better than £10 for a day pass lol. Sauna here I come!

FigmentOfYourImagination Sat 04-Jul-09 19:09:26

hang on, you pay monthly membership but still have to pay £1 a visit ? Sounds weird. Do they have a pool ?

I was a member of a pool-less gym for 3 years and would have gone much more frequently if there was a pool. I only joined that particular gym because there was a special offer on with full membership for £17pm rather than the full price of £35pm. If I was to join a gym again I'd only join one with a decent sized pool.

FigmentOfYourImagination Sat 04-Jul-09 19:10:54

I know you pay more for those sorts of gyms as they tend to be Cannons/David Lloyd type places but I'd be prepared to pay that bit extra.

LollipopViolet Sat 04-Jul-09 19:17:59

I'm not sure what the £1 is for.... will definately have it explained to me, chances are my mum will get us on the right plan lol. I work for Alton Towers and we get something free when we join so will take my staff ID, which should help.

Do you have a council leisure centre near you? They usually have good gyms at decent prices. Fitness First are ok tho, basic but all equipment usually ok.

LollipopViolet Sat 04-Jul-09 19:35:52

I've got to say, our council leisure centre has a posh private health club, basic membership there, £29 a month! But, they have a council run pool, so if I feel the urge to swim, that's where I go.

But you are thinking of paying £17 a month and then £1 a visit on top of that for fitness first, so basically if you are going more than 12 times a month (which you should be) then the council posh one makes sense AND you probably get swimming included in the gym price.

Joolsiam Sun 05-Jul-09 10:15:36

I pay annually in advance for my Fitness First membership - Platinum club, home club only. I usually get a deal where if I buy 12 months, I get another 3 months "free", so the monthly cost works out as around £32

The £17 deal sounds like it is a saving, but only if you don't visit regularly - doesn't really encourage the right fitness behaviour

I go 4 - 5 times per week, so wouldn't save anything on that deal and might well lose out.

LollipopViolet Sun 05-Jul-09 18:04:57

Yeah, I'm now erring towards the £23 a month plan, because that seems better value, but still very cheap. My mum went in today to try and get info and they just said I could join online or in person. So have arranged with 3 friends to go tomorrow at 10. Now, pay annually, or monthly, opinions please?

Joolsiam Mon 06-Jul-09 11:27:52

£23 is a bargain

I paid monthly for ages, then got offered a better deal if I paid annually. I love the gym - it is a huge part of my life and I couldn't imagine not going, so am happy to pay up front.

If you are unsure whether you would stick to it, decide what your motivators are - would paying for the annual one give you the motivation to keep going for a year rather than giving up and wasting the money ?

If you pay monthly, you would still have to pay a cancellation fee if you decided you didn't want to keep going, but at least you wouldn't lose the whole amount.

Decisions, decisions ! I think personally I'd pay monthly for a few months, then decide to go annual if I'm still enjoying it and feel comfortable that that is the gym for me.

LollipopViolet Mon 06-Jul-09 13:30:38

Unfortunately, my membership wouldn't be £23, it'd be £27, my 2 friends joined together so got a deal. I've gone onto the lower plan for now, because the lady helping me navigate it all said I can go up a plan, but you can't go down, so I'm seeing how I go, especially once back at uni. Had a nice workout today:

10 mins bike
5 mins crosstrainer (I hate them and did it as a warmup, must try harder!)
20 mins treadmill
About 15 minutes doing various weight machine things.

Have had a deal where I've paid £35 this month, but if I do 3 sessions with a personal trainer, plus 7 on my own, in the month, I get the £35 back. My first session is 10.30 tomorrow, can't wait!

Weighed myself too, and now have a starting point

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now