Talk

Advanced search

Am loving getting out on the bike, but OUCH - are gel saddles worth buying?!

(18 Posts)
DottyDot Sun 28-Jun-09 20:15:10

Am vastly overweight but trying to lose weight and am starting to love going out on bike rides. Just back from a 4 mile cycle (up and down lots of hills - can barely type! grin) but my bits are suffering... blush

Is it worth getting a gel saddle or do I just need to put up and shut up and wait for them to go permanently numb?! grin

othersideofthefence Sun 28-Jun-09 21:04:33

They are brilliant.
I have a gel saddle and a gel cover - I think I must be extra sensitive.

PortAndLemon Sun 28-Jun-09 21:05:48

Yes, they make a huge difference (although expect to still have a bit of an ouch -- but a LOT less of an ouch)

aGalChangedHerName Sun 28-Jun-09 21:06:45

Couldn't go out on mine without a gel seat. I used to be crippled without it blush

yappybluedog Sun 28-Jun-09 21:10:48

I hear you, had the same trauma today

never heard of a gel saddle, but I like the sound of it

Wallace Sun 28-Jun-09 21:14:04

Padded cycling shorts help too.

I just got a road bike and had to borrow dh's padded shorts because I was so sore after the first time I went out

PortBlacksandResident Sun 28-Jun-09 21:20:33

I bought a bike to lose weight. After a couple of days i told DH that although i may be slimmer & fitter by Autumn - he certainly won't be getting any for a while <ouchey>.

Overmydeadbody Sun 28-Jun-09 21:24:00

The more cycling you do the more used to it you will get!grin It'll give you an arse of steel lol

I'd invest in some padded cycling shorts, better than a gel seat which I find feels more like I'm wearing a nappy.

Persevere with the cycling though, you will get used to it, I promise. I cycle 4 miles a day on average for school run and don't need any sort of padding for that, but will wear cycling shorts if I'm going to be in the saddle for 10 miles or more.

DottyDot Sun 28-Jun-09 22:20:42

Thanks all - will investigate gel saddles and I'd never heard of padded cycling shorts! grin

I'm really chuffed 'cos started cycling about 6 - 8 weeks ago and nearly cried the first time I attempted more than a mile or so! The 4 miles tonight had a couple of steep stretches and I managed without getting off the bike (although at one point I think I saw a snail overtake me...) and didn't collapse in a heap when I got home! grin

PortBlacksandResident Sun 28-Jun-09 22:30:34

It's the getting off the bike that does for me <ouchey again>. I'm okay when i'm on it but when i get off i look like Steve Martin dancing in 'The Man with Two Brains' - think open kneed.

DottyDot Sun 28-Jun-09 22:53:36

have just ordered gel saddle cover from Amazon - arrives on Tuesday which isn't a moment too soon! will keep an eye open for saddle shorts, although I might have to overcome my sports shop phobia to get them...

am just amazed how addictive ycling seems to be - I'm sadly looking forward to cycling to my WW meeting tomorrow! and am planning what I think will be a 6 mile route for Tuesday (with gel saddle cover on of course!).

Cosmosis Mon 29-Jun-09 11:30:40

You defintely need padded shorts. If you don't want to just wear shorts, you can get padded liners to wear underneath normal shorts or trousers.

Where is it hurting? if it's just your sit bones, the shorts will help, as may a gel saddle / saddle cover, or even a slightly different saddle - there are so many different shapes as differen people have different width pelvises etc. Other than that, you will just have to grin and bear it for a little bit and you will toughen up a bit and get used to it!

If the front of your ladybits is going a bit numb / tingly, you will probably have to adjust the angle of your saddle so that the nose (front) of it is pointing slightly downwards.

cycling is great, enjoy it!

Doyouthinktheysaurus Wed 01-Jul-09 19:13:55

I have a bike with a gel saddle and do find it very comfy. I also have a new mountain bike that has a normal saddle which I'm considering replacing with a gel saddle so I would say yes they are worth it.

I just got cycling shorts with padded liners today aswell. It feels a bit like wearing a nappy but hopefully it will help.

I did 15 miles off road yesterday without the shorts and I could hardly sit down when I returnedgrin

DottyDot Wed 01-Jul-09 20:53:11

Well I can report back that I got the gel saddle today and am just back from an 8 mile ride (my furthest so far!).

It didn't hurt until about the 7th mile - not bad as I'm usually 'ouch'-ing after the first 50 yards! smile

Think I'll do a few more rides before I invest in cycling shorts but am v. glad I invested in the saddle..!

UnquietDad Wed 01-Jul-09 20:54:45

Is this like a saddle for upper-class young ladies? A "gel saddle"? Is there a "chap saddle" too?

Fennel Wed 01-Jul-09 20:56:18

I had a gel saddle for a while. I liked it but I left it outside a shop in Manchester and it got pinched (be warned, dottydot).

but you do get quite immune, I liked the gel saddle but didn't need it, as a regular cyclist.

DottyDot Wed 01-Jul-09 21:05:55

grin UQD! I like to think I am a laydee on my laydee's bike with a shopping basket at the front... blush

Was being laughed at on the way home though by youths as I was soooo bright red and exhausted angry (that's how red I was...)

dobby2001 Sat 11-Jul-09 17:38:12

You can get gel covers to go over exitisitng saddles too - alot cheaper and i found when i wore my padded shorts for long rides the gel cover was too much so i could remove v.easily.

If you want some variety on your route try checking out bikely - people put routes on there they have devised and you can search under town and type of course too grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now