Talk

Advanced search

Do any of you do spin classes? Can ask something...

(11 Posts)
MrsMcCluskey Fri 26-Jun-09 11:30:58

How do you stop your under carriage getting sore?blush
I go twice a week have tried vaseline - but still come away tender.
I wear seamless pants and loose shorts but ye Gods its unpleasant.
I love the class though and dont want to stop!!!

beaniebaby25 Fri 26-Jun-09 11:39:21

Hi Mrs Mc. I usually go to Spin classes about twice a week and as far as I know there's no answer to this, I am always sore after too. I also seem to have a rather bony bum (also have fair share of lard, to be clear) and it really is quite painful. Its better if you wear jersey type joggers rather than say running trews (kind of sleek and slippery, almost fall of bike wearing these and pain is lots worse). But joggers make you really hot!

I've thought of putting my hand towel over the saddle, but havent done this yet due to fears I'll look like a weirdo blush

So, in essence, I have no answer... so shall stick around and see if anyone else does! grin

MrsMcCluskey Fri 26-Jun-09 11:41:35

was thinking of buying a padded saddle cover to takee with me - but will feel really self concious.
I always wonder how the men cope with it too!!
I wear a loose thin cotton jersey croppes wide legs! THey aare about the comfiest - avoid anything with a large centre seam - ouch! and thongs are agony!

Joolsiam Fri 26-Jun-09 11:42:06

I find it only gets sore down there for the first couple of sessions - I do it twice a week and don't have a problem any more (but if I miss a few sessions, yes it does chafe again ..)

If you've just started, I'd give it another week and you should be OK.

Otherwise, I see a lot of people who bring their own gel saddle covers - I guess you can get them from sport shops ...

Is your saddle perhaps too far forward or back, or the handlebars too low ? It may be worth asking your instructor to check you are in the right position, as I guess that could cause a problem too.

Tis a fab calorie killer though - I love it

MrsMcCluskey Fri 26-Jun-09 11:52:19

Ive been going for about 6 months!!
My instructor is a young man I coulldnt ask him how to stop my 'bits' gettting sore!!

I keep my handlebars high on highest level.
Might try bringing saddle further forwards.

IT is a great class and has made such a difference to my legs!

Joolsiam Fri 26-Jun-09 12:00:11

I find it better with lower handlebars - makes me lean forward further and somehow that shift in weight not only makes it easier to do the sprints, it kind of takes the pressure off the undercarriage grin

MrsMcCluskey Fri 26-Jun-09 14:58:15

ohhhh might give it a try. Thanks

gomez Fri 26-Jun-09 15:01:26

Buy padded cycling pants!

Or don't wear pants at all - I find the egde of my knickers can cause a problem.

bellavita Fri 26-Jun-09 15:03:56

I used a gel seat which fitted over the saddle. In fact we all did in our classes. I didn't wear any pants either under my shorts.

alarkaspree Fri 26-Jun-09 15:04:08

I used to wear either cycling shorts or at least proper running legging things with no centre seam, with no pants.

It would also be worth asking the instructor for a general overhaul of your set-up. Just say it's uncomfortable, no need to go into detail.

MrsMcCluskey Sat 27-Jun-09 08:03:18

thanks guys
will try the saddle
dont want to wear padded shorts as i normally do a pump class before hand

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now