Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

I watch Wimbledon most years but still get confused re the rules- help!

(11 Posts)
ilikeyoursleeves Wed 24-Jun-09 16:35:18

I usually get the gist of it by the time it finishes but it still really confuses me. blush Can anyone give me a quick and simple guide to the scoring system? Thanks

FAQinglovely Wed 24-Jun-09 16:37:28

ok what do you want to know?

FAQinglovely Wed 24-Jun-09 16:40:46

this help?

ilikeyoursleeves Wed 24-Jun-09 16:40:52

Just really how the scoring system works, how the points go up and how it then turns into someone winning a game or a set etc... And what deuce means etc. Sorry I am thick!

elliepac Wed 24-Jun-09 16:43:15

hope this makes sense.

Points go as follows
win
Player has to win by one more point than the other.

Only situation this is different is if score reaches 40 -40. This is called deuce. They then play two more points.

Advantage
win

However, if you get to advantage then los next point it goes back to deuce until someone wins 2 straight points.

Wimbledon has 5 sets in a men's match and 3 sets in a womens. You must win a set by 2 games having won either 6/7 games ie 6-4 or 7-5.

If it reaches 6 games all, it then goes to a tie break game where the first to get to 7 points with a 2 point gap wins. However tiebreaks go on until there is a 2 point gap, no deuce like in normal game so it could go up to 13 - 11 for example.

To win a match you must win 3 sets in a mens match and 2 in a women's

Only other thing i can think of is that in the final set there is no tie break you just keep going until someone has a 2 game lead.

Phew, too much brain power used there. Need a lie down grin

Hope it makes sense.

ilikeyoursleeves Wed 24-Jun-09 16:44:07

Aha FAQ thanks! That makes it clearer now

ilikeyoursleeves Wed 24-Jun-09 16:45:39

Thanks elliepac! Hope you are recovering well from all that mental exertion I can now watch big Fed knowing the rules for once yay!

elliepac Wed 24-Jun-09 16:46:15

balls, all that typing and all i needed to do was link. bugger. grin

wem Wed 24-Jun-09 16:46:38

Blimey, just tried to type it out and it's so confusing down in black and white. I can't remember learning the rules to tennis, it's so weird when you think about it isn't it?

FAQinglovely Wed 24-Jun-09 17:10:49

elli - I started typing and then as I was watching the tennis on the BBC website realised it had the help thing on there grin

FAQinglovely Wed 24-Jun-09 17:13:21

elli - I started typing and then as I was watching the tennis on the BBC website realised it had the help thing on there grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now