Talk

Advanced search

Wobbly upper arms?

(10 Posts)
Countingthegreyhairs Tue 02-Jun-09 14:44:44

For the first time in my life my upper arms look - well - a bit lardy and wobbly - and I seem to have very poor upper arm strength ...

What do I do?

Can anyone recommend any exercises pls or point me in the direction of any good websites...ideally, I'm looking for exercises I can do at home every day.

Oh and how long will it take before I see some improvement?

Thanks for any advice ...

callalilies Tue 02-Jun-09 14:47:26

Stand arms length away from a wall, feet together. Put your hands flat on the wall shoulder height, just wider than shoulder width apart.

Slooooowwwly lean into the wall then sloooowly out again, like slow motion press ups.

Do that a few time each day and it should make a difference reasonably quickly.

angelene Tue 02-Jun-09 14:54:59

Then move up to press ups - even doing one and then the rest with your knees on the ground will make a difference.

Press-ups are the best exercise of all - they work your arms, chest, back, stomach - and you get a real sense of achievement when you get up to 10 and more!

Countingthegreyhairs Tue 02-Jun-09 14:57:17

Thanks Callalilies

vertical press-ups eh? That'll be useful later on ...

Atm, I'm recovering from a broken ankle so can't put my weight on my feet and so my arms are the only bit of my wobbly body I can exercise

I've just googled these exercises (prob should have done so before posting here) what do you think?

video.google.com/videosearch?sourceid=navclient&rlz=1T4GGLJ_enBE325BE202&q=upper+arms+exercises+UK&u m=1&ie=UTF-8&ei=Cy4lSvr1FoW2-AanjLzXBg&sa=X&oi=video_result_group&resnum=4&ct=title#q=bingo+wing+exe rcises&emb=0

Castiel Tue 02-Jun-09 15:01:54

Press ups and tricep dips (keep your legs straight to make it harder, ie stay on your heels and just lower your arms, no knee bend)

tricep extension, can of baked beans or bottle of water, bending at the elbow and pushing arm back up into straight line.

overhead tricep extension again with bottles of water or can of beans.

Running's good too for a general tone up.

AnnieShamrockInYourEar Tue 02-Jun-09 15:03:24

Pilates. A class or a DVD. Focus on the arm exercises.

Castiel Tue 02-Jun-09 15:04:07

x posts, ouch about the ankle.

There are lots of videoes/info on the web, just be careful, some of them show very bad form and you risk injury. Others though, from reputable sites are useful.

callalilies Tue 02-Jun-09 15:04:39

Those tricep extensions with bottles or whatever look a good bet if you need to do something sat down.

Castiel Tue 02-Jun-09 15:06:01

Meant to add, you should work your biceps as well as they act like a counter to your triceps. In fact, you might find that generally working the arms and shoulders as a whole can really help.

Countingthegreyhairs Tue 02-Jun-09 19:03:26

Thank you for all the replies

That's brilliant Castiel - much appreciated -I think I have inadvertently been doing those tricep dips when dragging myself (and my dodgy ankle) backwards up the stairs to bed! Using crutches have helped my arms a bit too!

They still need loads of work though. Noted about working both biceps and triceps.

And yes will definitely try the tricep extensions sitting down ...

Pilates also a v. good idea

Thanks alot everyone!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now