Talk

Advanced search

Exercise bike/cross trainer - will it be OK with bad knees?

(5 Posts)
BananaSkin Thu 26-Feb-09 21:43:45

I am thinking of buying a cross trainer/exercise bike. I have exercised a lot in the past (gym and running) and suffer from bad knees when I overdo it.

Do you think I will be OK with one of these? Would an exercise bike on its own be better?

Thanks

PS:Please don't tell me to go swimming or some other exercise - I don't have the time or childcare to do so

gigglewitch Thu 26-Feb-09 21:51:13

I was advised to do cycling (and swimming) after knee surgery, and basically go for anything which will strengthen your quads and all the upper leg muscles, which in turn will support the knee. If you feel the need for 'safety' initially then perhaps wear a light elastic-style sport support on your knee/s. sort out a decent gradual programme and if you increase your time slowly enough you hopefully won't end up with injuries. I don't see what the problem would be with a cross trainer if you use it for abs and upper body and miss out anything stressful on your knees until you have built up strength - several months into the cycling side of it.
btw, I'm a PE teacher which makes the whole thing even more, erm, fun hmm but I promise you it can be done... just apply the 'FITT' principle - which is frequency, intensity, time and type of exercise. in other words - how often, how much resistance you use and how many reps, how long per session, and type of activity - cycling, presses, whatever.

Good on you, and good luck smile

bosch Thu 26-Feb-09 21:55:06

I've just started going to the gym and have vaguely bad knees from previous gym membership.

Cross trainer doesn't feel as challenging on my knees as exercise bike.

BananaSkin Thu 26-Feb-09 22:00:17

Great thanks grin.

ramo84 Sun 26-Jul-09 11:13:40

Hi,

Should my leg be straight img148.imageshack.us/i/straightu.jpg/ at the lowest point when riding on an exercise bike or should there be a bend at the knee img268.imageshack.us/i/bentn.jpg/?

Thanks in advance smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now