Fitness trackers that counts steps while pushing a pram

(32 Posts)
Notlongtogo82 Mon 14-Jun-21 12:57:28

Does anyone have any recommendations for a fitness tracker/watch that will count steps while pushing a pram/buggy.

Had ds just over a week ago and keen to get back into walking and my fitness back. Currently have a garmin Vivoacymtive 4s and disappointingly it doesn't seem to be tracking my steps while pushing the pram.

Wondered if anyone had any suggestions for another watch that does.

OP’s posts: |
idontlikealdi Mon 14-Jun-21 13:01:49

Put it on your ankle

LongLiveGoblingKing Mon 14-Jun-21 13:03:34

I have been known to stick my Garmin on my ankle (using a hair tie to extend it) of I'm going for a long walk. It's not 100% accurate but is better than being on your wrist and not counting anything.

Curlypop Mon 14-Jun-21 13:04:52

Apple Watch does

MaverickDanger Mon 14-Jun-21 13:06:51

My Fitbit does.

StrawberriCream Mon 14-Jun-21 13:06:54

Fitbit tracks when pushing prams, my husbands garmin watch doesn't no experience of other trackers

OhWifey Mon 14-Jun-21 13:07:21

My Fitbit doesn't

Advertisement

momo20 Mon 14-Jun-21 13:07:59

My fitbit versa 3 does

4PawsGood Mon 14-Jun-21 13:10:39

My phone does when it’s in my bag.

4PawsGood Mon 14-Jun-21 13:11:10

(Meant to say, presume you’ve discounted that but thought I’d mention.)

TakeYourFinalPosition Mon 14-Jun-21 13:11:22

My Apple Watch doesn’t… ironically I was told to try Garmin grin

BuffySummersReportingforSanity Mon 14-Jun-21 13:12:03

My Fitbit Charges always have (although it invariably logs it as time on the elliptical, but who cares. My FIL reports the same thing happens with pushing a lawnmower).

nomorespaghetti Mon 14-Jun-21 13:14:25

My Apple Watch does. I do the school run with the buggy for younger DC, and it’s about 3.5 miles x twice a day, so there’s no way I want my tracker to skip all that effort!

TakeYourFinalPosition Mon 14-Jun-21 13:28:41

Ooh that's interesting, @nomorespaghetti, what type have you got? I've got a series 6 and while it will count some steps when I've got the pram, it counts LOADS less than when I walk the same route without it. Which then feels like a massive waste of effort, I agree grin

I'm not sure I ever tested my series 3 with a pram, so I don't know if that did any better...

MySocalledLoaf Mon 14-Jun-21 13:29:05

Fitbit Versa doesn’t. Doesn’t if you are carrying a toddler either.

Okbutnotgreat Mon 14-Jun-21 13:43:23

You need a watch that has its own gps tracker like the Fitbit Versa 3 not one that uses motion only. If you have a phone you could try the Strava app.

nomorespaghetti Mon 14-Jun-21 13:46:36

I’ve got the newest one TakeYourFinalPosition (6?) If yours isn’t counting it could you track it as a workout while you’re pushing the buggy? I compared my iPhone in my pocket and my watch during my walk with the buggy, and they were pretty consistent.

EducatingArti Mon 14-Jun-21 13:48:04

My Fitbit thinks I am outdoor cycling when I push a buggy or toddler trike!

BlueyIsMyBae Mon 14-Jun-21 13:53:23

I tend to put my garmin in my pocket or bag for a long walk. Not 100% accurate but better than nothing.

Notlongtogo82 Mon 14-Jun-21 15:03:10

Thanks everyone, some mixed answers. Was trying to avoid putting my watch in my pocket/bag as thej I lose the heart rate and intensity minute features but looks like the best solution at the moment.

Annoyingly my old (much cheaper) garmin used to track my steps with the buggy a few years ago without fail, but unfortunately I sold that one to upgrade!

OP’s posts: |
trevthecat Mon 14-Jun-21 15:04:04

My Fitbit reckons im cycling when I push the pram 🤣

ProfessionalTeaDrinker Mon 14-Jun-21 17:40:21

If you record it as a walk, so set off an activity, I think you get a more accurate recording as it amends the steps to the GPS distance. I think. It's been a while for me! But I'm sure this is what my friends do and say it's better, if not perfect.

cannaethink Fri 18-Jun-21 18:30:02

My Fitbit versa 3 recorded steps when I was sitting in a parked car yesterday 🤔

SquigglePigs Fri 18-Jun-21 18:34:40

My Fitbit does, although annoyingly doesn't when I'm pushing a trolley. I assume it's because I walk faster with the pram than the trolley but it's a bit irrigating.

fellrunner85 Sat 19-Jun-21 09:40:27

The issue isn't the type of tracker per se, it's how you're tracking it.
A GPS tracker, if you set it to record as a walk, is the most accurate way to do it. And Garmins are the best.
But ordinary fitbit type trackers that just sense whether your arms are moving are not will always be patchy if you're pushing a pram, as your arms don't move! As a pp said, you can put your watch on your ankle or in your pocket so it gets the "jiggle" by they really are inaccurate.
My MIL loves her fitbit as she reckons she gets 2k steps just cooking. Er no... you were stirring a pot grin

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in