Daft questions from a beginner runner

(10 Posts)
PaganOfTheGoodTimes Tue 08-Jun-21 11:31:10

😳 I finished c25k in spring and now run 6ish k three times a week, but now have some stupid questions! So here goes ..

Can I have your recommendations for
- a good not heavy sun cream
- do I need a special runners cap as I burn easily and if so is there a brand you recommend?
- what do I do with my phone that allows easy access for fitness apps, it’s too hot and too sweaty to chive it down my bra as I was doing, I’ve tried an armband but didn’t feel I could get to apps fast enough...

I’d appreciate any help - thanks!

OP’s posts: |
BikeRunSki Tue 08-Jun-21 11:44:27

1. I like Nivea kids, factor 50
2. I wear this [[https://www.themountainfactor.com/product/brands/patagonia/patagonia-duckbill-cap/?attribute_pa_colour=gypsum-green&attribute_pa_size=all&gclid=CjwKCAjwqvyFBhB7EiwAER786WsQ2Ob8W6BobpcWa4ZtfYCeZdClUU_-oTosdHt5Skn-Nb5wtxZadxoCsSYQAvD_BwE I wear this.
3. Google “running belt”, or find leggings/shorts with a pocket. Ron Hill and Alpkit do some, as do many others.

BikeRunSki Tue 08-Jun-21 11:45:07

cap

randomsabreuse Tue 08-Jun-21 11:53:47

1. I just use whatever I have lurking for the kids. Boots sensitive face seems to be good for me and sensitive redhead DD.

2. I got a cheapy "running" cap from Sports Direct. It's a bit more breathable than a normal baseball cap. Need to relocate it or buy another as it's vanished!

3. Thigh pocket of leggings for quick access, assuming the leggings stay up well. Also back pockets might be big enough, not that it's predictable.

Flip belts are popular, or you can get a waist belt which you can turn around to open.

Greybeardy Thu 17-Jun-21 16:30:19

1& 2 - no idea!
3. Flip belts are fab.

zafferana Thu 17-Jun-21 16:35:11

1) Garnier Factor 50 dry mist
2) Nike run cap
3) Crosface running belt - it holds my phone, keys, lipbalm

PaganOfTheGoodTimes Thu 17-Jun-21 17:51:20

Thanks 😊

OP’s posts: |

Advertisement

TheChosenTwo Thu 17-Jun-21 18:45:58

I use Fenty hydra visor spf but it can sting a bit if you get a sweaty head and it gets in your eyes. (I don’t)
Supergoop spf doesn’t sting me though.
Both specifically facial spfs.
I don’t wear a cap so can’t answer that one.
All my running leggings have deep side pockets for my phone.

GappyValley Thu 17-Jun-21 18:53:34

1. I can’t get on with any sun creams when running
They all make me sweat and overheat, and it stings when it runs in my eyes
I try and do my runs early or late on hot days
2. I have got this one which I’ve worn for a couple of races when it’s been hot - it’s a bit ‘Florida Pensioner’ but let’s the heat escape through my head
www.sportsshoes.com/product/ski1066/skins-run-visor/

3. Leggings or shorts with side pockets
They are really secure, so much easier than fiddling with the zip of a belt or front pocket

Spudlet Thu 17-Jun-21 18:55:07

1. I use a kids one for running, and Novea face for my face and neck.
2. Decathlon is generally great for running gear and won’t break the bank. I have a cap from there and another from Ronhill, both are great.
3. I always insist on bottoms with phone pockets these days, I can’t be doing with armbands! I have a pair of shorts from M&S and an ASICS pair that both have iPhone sized pockets. I do use a watch for running tracking though so I don’t need my phone as much. You can pick up something like a Garmin Forerunner 10 for less than £20 on eBay, so that’s a nice toe into the water of the world of sports watches, if you fancy one. Saves a lot of faffing with your phone.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in