Rowing

(5 Posts)
BountyIsUnderrated Thu 27-May-21 14:02:03

Just wondering if anyone had any advice regarding rowing as a beginner.
I did my first work out yesterday for 30 minutes with a 5 minute break twice and woke up this morning aching all over so think I've overdone it.
As far as I know I'm doing the proper technique so don't think that's a problem, it didn't feel like hard work at all for the first 15 minutes and I didn't realise how much I pushed it until I finished and felt like I'd been hit by a truck.
I'm very unfit have literally no muscle and 3 stone overweight as I don't really exercise.
Should I be doing shorter workouts and is it normal to feel this way? It's more a sore achy feeling than not being able to walk etc.

OP’s posts: |
Laufeythejust Thu 27-May-21 14:08:05

30 minute of rowing! I’d be dead and I work out 5 times a week. James smith did a video yesterday on how to properly row on a machine which I would recommend to check your posture etc. When I first started working out I did a mixture of exercises- 10 minutes on the cross trainer, 20 minutes of weights and ended with 10 minutes on the rower, or a HIIT session at the end (rowing really fast for a minute then squats for a minute then mountain climbers for 30 seconds then a minutes rest X4). Try mixing it up a bit to give the muscles a bit of a break.
Well done for starting though- once you get through the sore muscle period it’s all uphill from here!

Laufeythejust Thu 27-May-21 14:08:41

Up not uphill 😂

BountyIsUnderrated Thu 27-May-21 14:15:13

Hmm I will admit I did go slow at first as I was getting comfortable with it but definitely started sweating once I started going faster at the 10 minute mark.
I have looked into technique as far as I know it's supposed to be one swift movement where your legs are doing most of the work, correct me if I'm wrong.

Sounds like I did do too much then, maybe I will drop down to 20 minutes with a 5 minute break in between. I'm more concerned about my health at the moment, need to get back into things post baby.

OP’s posts: |
Cormoran Sat 05-Jun-21 21:17:53

This is by far the best Rowing channel
www.youtube.com/channel/UC6k6vvs0mc25M4Ximk6S0xg

Could be the technique, could be your fitness level....
so many tutorial, check. it out

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in