Garmin

(11 Posts)
Dentistlakes Sat 03-Apr-21 17:36:41

I have an Apple Watch, but I’m getting frustrated with the very short battery life and am considering a Garmin. I’m starting to get more into running and run 7-8k 3 times during the week with a longer run at the weekend. I’m interested in looking more closely at my heart rate and the Garmin 245 music looks like it might be a good bet. I’m also keen to have a watch which I can download music to so I don’t have to take my phone.

Do you have one and would you recommend? I would like to be able to set a max/min heart rate and get some kind of alert (without having to look at the watch constantly) when I’m outside that zone. I wasn’t sure if the watch can do that or even if it’s a thing. Also interested in any other recommendations of other models or makes.

OP’s posts: |
fellrunner85 Sat 03-Apr-21 18:44:45

I have the Garmin 245 and I love it. Does everything you need and is v reliable.
It does have vibration alerts when you go outside your HR zones, and also has a whole losd of other gadgetry I don't really use!

Dentistlakes Sat 03-Apr-21 19:31:50

fellrunner85

I have the Garmin 245 and I love it. Does everything you need and is v reliable.
It does have vibration alerts when you go outside your HR zones, and also has a whole losd of other gadgetry I don't really use!

That’s very helpful, thanks! Do you have the music one? I’m wondering if it’s worth the extra money or if I’d just end up taking my phone anyway for safety.

StillNoFuckingEyeDeer Sat 03-Apr-21 19:59:53

Can I just ask you to consider still taking your phone with you when you run. You never know when you'll need it. I've used mine to call an ambulance for a runner who suffered a cardiac arrest and to call DH when I fell and injured myself and had to be collected. Both times I was at least a km from 'civilisation'

Dentistlakes Sat 03-Apr-21 20:09:25

StillNoFuckingEyeDeer

Can I just ask you to consider still taking your phone with you when you run. You never know when you'll need it. I've used mine to call an ambulance for a runner who suffered a cardiac arrest and to call DH when I fell and injured myself and had to be collected. Both times I was at least a km from 'civilisation'

Yes, that’s the kind of thing I was thinking about. Running without a phone is risky. I don’t tend to run in isolated places but I do run early (5.30 ish and maybe earlier when I increase distance). I think I would feel uneasy without it.

fellrunner85 Sat 03-Apr-21 20:15:00

No, I don't have the music one, but I don't like running with music anyway. I like to hear the sounds around me and be aware of my surroundings - I find it more relaxing that way.

I don't run with my phone either, unless I'm going out on the remote moors on my own, but I always let someone know roughly where I'm going and how long for.

randomsabreuse Sat 03-Apr-21 20:29:35

I have the Garmin 245 without music. I really like its training plans and it can vibrate at me for lots of things (too fast, too slow, cadence too fast or slow). Haven't experimented with HR but assume it could do that as it has HR zones set up.

It's ok as a very basic smart watch - I have it set up to show WhatsApp, email and text which means I can run when DH is on call so long as I stay close but not have to look at my phone every time I get an email to check it's not DH texting me to get back now! Definitely as smart as I want or need, but less smart than a lot of dedicated smart watches.

Advertisement

Sammysquiz Sat 03-Apr-21 20:32:28

I have the Vivoactive 4 with music and it’s fantastic, I’ve really upped my running game with it. I set it to vibrate every time I drop below a certain pace on a run, and I’ve knocked 4 mins off my 5km time as a result!

Dentistlakes Sat 03-Apr-21 21:11:30

This is all really useful, thanks! I’m thinking the music option probably isn’t that important, but the notifications about pace etc definitely would be. I’ll definitely take a look at the vivoactive too as I’ve heard good things about it too.

FusionChefGeoff Sat 03-Apr-21 21:38:32

I have a Vivoactive and love it. The training plans are amazing - details in the app and every run is sent to the watch with pace / times / laps / alerts etc it's ace.

ElsieBobo Fri 09-Apr-21 00:12:51

I have a simple 45S and it’s great. I figured I have no need for one w music as I want me phone on me for safety, so I use that and Spotify via Bluetooth headphones. Getting a garmin was a game changer for my running. Have never been a gadget person but I LOVE it.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in