Talk

Advanced search

Getting to end of C25K. 10K or something else next?

(7 Posts)
Inniu Sat 19-Oct-19 18:02:09

Did W7R2 today so due to reach the end of C25K soon.

I just run on my own.

Should I try to work on my speed next or just go straight in to the 10K programme?

Griefmonster Sat 19-Oct-19 18:14:05

Depends on your reasons for running. There is a brilliant pod cast of Dr Rangan Chatterjee's With Sanjay Rawal. Would recommend that for thinking about running in a wider way. My goal was time for me, head space and anti-anxiety so for me I wanted to consolidate the habit. Got in to a routine of 3x5k runs a week before going for a longer distance. During these you can work on speed or stamina (hill training for e.g.) or just enjoy the view! After a year I upped to 10k then 15k to almost half marathon. I also switched to trail running quite early on so not so focussed on distance or speed but on terrain. Whatever you do, have fun! And we'll done.

FusionChefGeoff Sat 19-Oct-19 18:51:50

Agree - totally up to you!! Personally, I preferred the accomplishment of distance, an hour to myself, slightly achy legs and nicely tired at the end of the day which suits longer distances so I just kept increasing 1 run a week until I was at half marathon distance smile

However, DH prefers the intense speed / muscle burn / bragging about pace over shorter distances so he focuses on speed (not that he runs much anymore but it's just an example!)

It's also about lifestyle - I work for myself so can work my day around a 2 hr run if I want to. If I was up and out of the house 7am - 7pm every night I'd probably aim to be a speed queen instead!!

BrassicaBabe Sat 19-Oct-19 21:05:06

I remember having a little slump after finishing C25K too.

I really enjoyed the structure of c25k so was a little lost when it finished. No great advice I'm afraid. But wanted to say I know how you feel.

Inniu Sat 19-Oct-19 21:11:12

I don’t know what I want so I might listen to that podcast.

I stopped working last year so have quite a bit of time when the children are at school if I want to do longer runs.

I think I am worried about losing my way a bit after the end of the C25K structure if I don’t have another program ready to go.

BestIsWest Sat 19-Oct-19 21:35:16

Has anyone done the graduates programme www.nhs.uk/live-well/exercise/couch-to-5k-plus-running-podcasts/?

(I’m only on w6 but know I will need the encouragement of someone in my ear telling me I’m halfway)

SquishySquirmy Sat 19-Oct-19 22:53:07

Park run?
I finished c25k fairly recently, and I've just enjoyed mixing it up a bit - some 10k "runs" (I still need walking breaks for longer distances, but I am gradually reducing them), some 5ks like park run where I focus on reducing my time, and some trail type runs where I'm less focused on speed and time, more focused on nice scenery etc.

I try to do at least 1 run of each type a week, if I didn't mix it up I'd get bored!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »