Talk

Advanced search

C25k

(5 Posts)
thistooshallpass2018 Mon 15-Apr-19 23:05:03

Has anyone completed the c25k when massively over weight. I've probably got around 9 stone to lose. I really want to and have wanted to completed the c25k for years but my weight makes me think that I can't. Any advise or tips much appreciated

Pardalis Tue 16-Apr-19 21:01:23

I'm really overweight. I'm on week 3 of c25k and it's brilliant. However I already was walking 5-6 miles 5 times a week so wasn't going in completely cold.
I would maybe consult your GP first - get a bit of a check up of BP etc and perhaps take the c25k slower.
Honestly, the first run I did I thought I was going to die - ha ha

RubySlippers77 Tue 16-Apr-19 23:47:51

Hi OP, I think C25K is designed for you to take it at your own pace, so hopefully you would be fine smile but yes, definitely see a doctor/ nurse first to make sure there's no reason you shouldn't do it, and go from there.

Could you join a gym and get support that way too? Usually when you have an induction they will run some basic tests and give you tips on how best to start exercising, what pace would be best for you etc.

Maybe you could sign up for a 5K race (such as the Cancer Research one) to give yourself something to aim for? After all it doesn't matter if come the day you walk it, but there would be support material with that too!

WatcherintheRye Tue 16-Apr-19 23:53:07

Sorry to derail the thread, but I also want to do C25k, but am too self-conscious to ever attempt running in public. Has anyone completed it using a treadmill? Is that possible?

DramaAlpaca Wed 17-Apr-19 00:02:07

Watcher I did it on a treadmill, it's absolutely fine to do it that way. Just set the treadmill to a slight incline as that is more like outdoors & also will protect your joints.

OP, just take it at a slow pace & you'll be fine. The secret is to go slowly at first, much slower than you think you should. You are building up your stamina in the first few weeks. Also, you might find it best to leave three days between runs rather than two, to give your body time to recover. That's what I did. And make sure you stretch afterwards - not before.

It's a fantastic programme. I'd never have thought I'd be able to run for 30 minutes without stopping, but I could after about 12 weeks.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »