Talk

Advanced search

Will I lose weight doing this?

(33 Posts)
Rspu1384 Sun 14-Apr-19 19:05:44

Hi 👋 ive been trying to lose weight the past year and only managed to lose about a stone if that. Just through cutting out sugary drinks/ sugar.
I’m thinking about walking for an hour a day every day, would this make any difference? At the moment I don’t really do any exercise. I go on holiday in September and reallly want to lose at
Least 2 stone and tone up. Would
Walking an hour a day and eating healthier be enough to see a change?

DawgLover Sun 14-Apr-19 19:09:14

It depends on whether that walk is brisk enough to create a calorie deficit compared to whatever your calorie intake is.
Get yourself a fitbit/pedometer/track steps in your phone and track what you're eating on something like my fitness pal. If you expend more than you eat (medical issues aside) you should lose weight.

DawgLover Sun 14-Apr-19 19:10:55

Though if you're looking to lose 2 stone and tone up in less than 6 months it might be a better idea to ensure your overall diet is healthy as possible and take up a sport/workout you enjoy?

meditrina Tue 16-Apr-19 07:53:18

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

meditrina Tue 16-Apr-19 07:55:45

Sorry - wrong thread! I'll ask for it to be deleted

GregoryPeckingDuck Tue 16-Apr-19 07:55:55

The only way to loose weight is to have a calorie deficit. If the walking is enough to cause a deficit then yes (although I doubt it will be as much as you like). You won’t tone up unless you are walking up hills/satires though.

MIdgebabe Tue 16-Apr-19 08:00:45

You will need to ensure that you firstly don’t reduce other activity, etc cut back on the housework, spend more time in front of the tv and secondly that you don’t compensate by eating slightly more,. Both are so easy to do because our bodies prefer to store calories!

Gwenhwyfar Fri 26-Apr-19 08:53:56

I was at my biggest weight ever when I had a 35 minute walk to work and the same back. Unless you're exercising for hours a day, it's mainly diet.

Becathourus Fri 26-Apr-19 09:29:58

Diet is a huge contributions to weight loss (losing about a stone in a year is brilliant!), try cutting out gluten and possibly turning to a veggie and fish diet.

All the best of luck!

Gwenhwyfar Fri 26-Apr-19 10:15:12

"possibly turning to a veggie and fish diet."

Being veggie has nothing to do with losing weight. You can easily be a fat vegetarian.

Justheretosee Fri 26-Apr-19 10:21:36

Basically you need to be in a calorie deficit of 3500 cals per week to loose one pound of weight how you achieve this deficit is up to you - ie diet,walking,weight lifting - to tone up weight lifting is probably the best option - but also may involve joining a gym!

As previous posters have suggested think about apps like my fitness pal and an activity tracker - these have worked for me I aim for 10000 steps and 3x40 minute gym sessions i am 5”2 and in September on holiday I was 11.12 - I said never again! Going away this year in June and i am currently 10.7 aiming for the 10stone mark! I haven’t been to strict but I do count calories on weekends - even when I’m on a “weekend off” like lost weekend when I ate my body weight in eggs!

If I can help you in anyway just ask (not that I know much I do a lot of reading --on Instagram--)

Redcrayons Fri 26-Apr-19 10:34:51

Upping your exercise is great, but it's really about diet.

Becathourus Fri 26-Apr-19 10:35:22

I wasn't telling OP to become a vegetarian to lose weight but that cutting out most meats could help, we don't know what they eat on a day to day bases so was just offering to replace most meats with vegetables and fish.

I only said that based on experience, I lost a lot of weight by cutting that out and swapping for fish and vegetables.

Chocolatecoffeeaddict Fri 26-Apr-19 13:52:48

Giving up meat won't help you lose weight. Lean meat is one of the free foods on Slimming World and has always helped me lose weight as it is filling but very low in fat, high in protein.

Gwenhwyfar Fri 26-Apr-19 18:56:32

Chocolate - I started eating meat to lose weight. Chicken salad and chicken sandwiches have fewer calories than cheese ones.

BeansandRice Sat 27-Apr-19 06:47:35

Lean meat - eg grilled skinless chicken breast - is high in protein low in carbs and really good “value” calorie wise.

The only way to do it is via creating a calorie deficit. And the only way to do that is to record EVERYTHING you eat via an app. I have a FitBit and use that - it matches effort (steps + exercise) and calories.

It also makes you think twice before stuffing yourself with empty calories, when you require yourself to record everything you eat.

When I started out, I weighed everything too. I educated myself in what I was eating - it was very instructive! And I lost around 13kg stone quite easily over a year and an extremely fit ( I took up resistance training as well). I didn’t look overweight before because I’ve always exercised. But I have changed my whole body shape now.

memaymamo Sat 27-Apr-19 06:56:25

Another vote for calorie tracking. It's really the very best way to get a sense of what you're putting in vs spending out.

For example, a half hour walk at a normal pace only burns about 150 calories. If you come home and eat two plain biscuits with a cup of milky tea, you've eaten 150 calories and cancelled out the energy you spent on the walk. However, if you are equipped with the information on what is in your food and how much different exercises help, then you can make smart decisions about how to eat.

Things like crackers, pasta, bread etc have so many calories that you might not be aware of. Cutting down on carbs like those can help as much as cutting out soft drinks.

Try My Fitness Pal or Lose It.

Walking is a great activity regardless of the calories though, it's good just to get out and about and you can try to walk briskly.

boxlikeamarchhare Sat 27-Apr-19 07:00:05

Yes, I think it would OP but you need to walk actively and get your heart rate up a bit. A brisk walk with a bit of uphill could burn 300-350 calories an hour.

I lost a stone and a half in six weeks doing the 5:2 diet and walking an average of four miles a day. I am 50, peri-menopausal.

Wheresmyvagina Sat 27-Apr-19 07:01:58

Walking won't cause you to lose any weight by itself but it will help if you also cut down on calories

bluebluezoo Sat 27-Apr-19 07:10:20

Cutting out gluten will also do fuck all for weight loss.

-sometimes cutting out random things will work, if you cut out pasta and have just the pasta sauce with veg. But if you cut out pasta and replace it with rice, for example, you calories are the same and it will make no difference, even if you have removed gluten hmm

As for the walking, depends on your body type. At first it may make a difference, then as you adapt to it you will need to increase distance and/or effort.

Ellabella989 Sat 27-Apr-19 07:13:37

I walk for an hour most days and I don’t particularly have a bad diet. My weight has totally plateaued doing this (don’t gain any weight at all but also don’t lose any and I also haven’t been getting anymore toned).
The only way I can start losing weight again is to drop the calories I eat a bit more.

boxlikeamarchhare Sat 27-Apr-19 07:17:21

Of course you can lose weight with walking alone, if you burn 2500 active calories a week that you haven’t been burning because you have been sat on the sofa instead of moving you will lose weight.

Fazackerley Sat 27-Apr-19 07:18:54

I've lost 5lb in the last couple of weeks by eating three meals a day and NOT SNACKING except on fruit. I also now eat at least 6 portions of fruit and veg a day. I still eat carbs - eg I eat wholemeal toast and peanut butter and apple and a banana for breakfast, a tuna salad sandwich or hummus pitta with loads of salad then plain Greek yogurt and blueberries and a small portion (tiny!) of whatever dinner is with loads of veg. I walk 10000 steps a day sometimes 15000 and exercise makes no difference to my weight loss .

Fazackerley Sat 27-Apr-19 07:20:32

if you burn 2500 active calories a week

You still won't lose a pound. And that's a shit ton of walking, fast walking too. Going out for a leisurely amble won't cut it

HogMother Sat 27-Apr-19 07:20:47

what about YouTube workouts at home, or running rather than walking?
Your diet still needs to be monitored though.
Also drinking water is helpful.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »