Talk

Advanced search

Park run

(24 Posts)
fatcatshavemorefun Sat 13-Apr-19 19:23:44

Just did my first ever park run and am totally converted! Does anyone here do park run?
Am pleased with my time as I didn’t feel I was putting much effort in compared with how bloody exhausting challenging I find running on the treadmill and I sprinted the finish! I finished C25K last year having never been a runner and I know there are a few C25K threads on here so hope this is encouraging!
Too scared to go to my local park run though as they seem to be serious runners and all finish sub-30, so I traveled to a bigger and more mixed one grinblushblush

Taswama Sat 13-Apr-19 20:28:02

Well done! There was a park run thread before.

emummy Sat 13-Apr-19 21:25:55

Glad you enjoyed it! I am on the committee of my local Parkrun, we've just held our 10th event and I love it! I prefer to volunteer instead of running and I find it just puts me in a good mood for the rest of the day, it's so positive and enjoyable. Still get scared doing the run director role though!

jenthelibrarian Sat 13-Apr-19 21:36:50

My OH runs and today I volunteered for the first time and helped with marshaling and bar-coding the finishers, before getting my exercise endorphins in a nice warm, clean gym/Pilates class grin

All the runners and helpers were absolutely lovely, kind and encouraging.
Really nice bunch of people.
Will go again.

Geekster1963 Sat 13-Apr-19 22:04:22

I love parkrun, i started going last November when one local to me started. I ran my 16th today and I've volunteerd five times too I love it, so friendly and welcoming.

nqtomg Sat 13-Apr-19 22:10:31

Well done, OP grin I'm a parkrunner, although I've lapsed a little recently but got back on it today, I did my 39th smile it's really addictive once you start chipping away at that time!

megletthesecond Sat 13-Apr-19 22:53:01

Here.
Please do go to your local one though. They'll be a tail walker or two so you won't be last. It may not be as speedy as you fear either. And it may be fairly flat which helps everyone.

megletthesecond Sat 13-Apr-19 22:53:53

There'll be

OrangeJuiceandArmchairs Sat 13-Apr-19 22:55:58

Me! Im nearing 50 events now. I think it's the best thing that this country has seen for a looooong time.

There are podcasts, challenges and all sorts to be enjoyed too smile

TriSkiRun99 Sun 14-Apr-19 16:34:11

I’m a regular ParkRun goer and think it’s great, we make a family event of it with my youngest getting her tenth one last week smile and eldest trying for a sub-30 now. We’ve also volunteered 4x, I help every 8wks with my DD. I wish more people would volunteer it’s really easy and rewarding too.

stucknoue Sun 14-Apr-19 16:48:16

Yes, there's a few of us. Got son yesterday but I'm still so slow. My aim is 35 mins by summer!

Hailthelime Sun 14-Apr-19 16:58:38

Me! Ours in just across the road from us. I'm nearly at 80 runs and I have my volunteer T-shirt. So fab to see so many friends at the start of the weekend. My 14 year old son volunteers each week. (Cos his Mum makes him-he does absolutely nothing else out of school). X

fatcatshavemorefun Sun 14-Apr-19 21:18:18

Ah that’s a good idea re: volunteering! Might volunteer at my local one before actually running at it to get a feel for it. Was so happy at the big non-local one and am apprehensive about this smaller, faster one but volunteering first could be the answer, thanks!!

TriSkiRun99 Tue 16-Apr-19 16:26:31

Just email the volunteer coordinator off the park run home page for your local one. It’s really easy you don’t do much but it’s rewarding and you get a great feel for how people run your local one. We have the usual 20min running club speedily ones (who very often stay on & cheer on the slower ones), lots of women in the 30-35min bracket, then the younger kids, and still the really inspiring ones giving it their all coming in later. It’s a great way to start a Saturday smile

MelanieCheeks Tue 16-Apr-19 16:40:15

Come and join us on the "parkrunners assemble" thread!

I've been a parkrunner for 6 years, and can't wait to do my 250th this Saturday! I'm also a serial tourist, have run at 60 different events and I blog my visits at Dancingatlunacy. Currently writing up last weekend's visit to Paris wine

CalmConfident Wed 17-Apr-19 20:17:06

Yes, long term park runner here !

Murine Sun 21-Apr-19 15:30:37

Me! I’ve only done 6 so far having only started running in September but I love it.

Nesssie Fri 03-May-19 15:04:06

Started PR about 2 years ago and ran my first half marathon this year, booked in for 3 more this year! I had never run a step before PR!

I'm also so much more confident, going to new locations on my own!

BGD2012 Fri 03-May-19 15:06:09

My 11 year old does the 5k each week and my 6 year old does the 2k. They are great.

Coldandfrosty Fri 03-May-19 23:10:10

I love it. I have the bug.

Have set my alarm for 7am to drive for an hour tomo to try a different one by the beach.

I'm.not very fast at all. But it doesn't matter at parkrun.

PintOfThatCatPiss Fri 03-May-19 23:14:50

I’ve signed up but never been because I’m scared.
Have never run before.
If I walk a lot of it and jog will be be on my own?

Aldicheckoutworkout Fri 03-May-19 23:31:25

I love parkrun although not always when I'm actually running and have done over 100. My 9 year old DS has started doing it and I'm enjoying some 1-1 time with him as we run together and go to the cafe for breakfast. A junior one has recently started near us so trying to encourage DS to do that as probably a better distance for him.

OrangeJuiceandArmchairs Sat 04-May-19 13:40:53

@PintOfThatCatPiss no you won't be alone. Even if you walked the whole thing you'd be with the tail walker.

Have a look at the events results page for a clue about numbers and times smile

Coldandfrosty Sat 04-May-19 16:03:54

No no you wont be last/alone. Honestly please try one. OR just go and watch one then you will see people go at whatever pace they want.

If you look online at the results page you can see how many people usually do it and the longest times people take. Small parkruns that have about 30 odd people will proportionally have less slower people. But ones that have 400 odd will have loads of slower people.

But either way you'll be very welcome.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »