Talk

Advanced search

Feeling awful after Marathon - normal?!

(16 Posts)
whiteteeth04 Tue 09-Apr-19 11:48:24

I ran a marathon on Sunday (Manchester, pb of over 25 mins in 3:58). It's not my first and last year was back at work feeling a better sore but generally ok.

This year I've taken some time off work and I feel awful. I'm starving, I'm lightheaded and have an upset stomach. Also so sorry everywhere I can hardly walk. And I'm completely exhausted - currently struggling to get out of bed.

Is this normal? I lose my appetite after long runs so didn't really eat on Sunday at all. But can't remember feeling so rubbish after last Marathon!

palindromeam Tue 09-Apr-19 12:13:17

That's quite a big pb. Congratulations.

It sounds like you have pushed your body harder this year to get it.

I would listen to your body. Sleep, eat to replenish your depleted stores and gentle walking to stretch your muscles.

LiliesAndChocolate Tue 09-Apr-19 20:53:02

You need to rest and possibly if not getting better, see a GP.

Marathon are extremely hard on the body and can seriously damage the heart. You also probably have high levels of free radicals still circulating in your body from the oxidative damage and high levels of inflammation as well.

You might also have kidney overload so this will take some dys.

Bottom line, marathons are catastrophic for the health and lower your immune system for a certain amount of time. So you feeling crap is quite normal and take into consideration the accumulative effect of scarring on the heart and decide if this is really something you want to keep doing.

emummy Tue 09-Apr-19 21:52:06

I think catastrophic is a bit strong, and the evidence of heart scarring I'm not sure about; there is conflicting evidence in that score. OP either the extra effort to get that PB (congratulations!) has taken it out of you or you could be coincidentally coming down with an infection of some kind. At the moment I would say rest, make sure you get plenty of fluids and healthy food and see how it goes. If you are improving, great, if you feel worse or are just not improving it might be a good idea to see your GP.

LiliesAndChocolate Tue 09-Apr-19 23:11:25

If running a marathon impacts the body on a multi-organs level, affecting the immense system in the weeks after the event (so getting a cold or similar is quite typical) ,

Death during or after a marathon is far from unheard of, so for those who died, the marathon had a catastrophic consequence.

The OP run a marathon on Sunday and 48 hours later is feeling extremely unwell . I feel awful. I'm starving, I'm lightheaded and have an upset stomach. Also so sorry everywhere I can hardly walk. And I'm completely exhausted - currently struggling to get out of bed.

Was is worth it?

Whatdoyouknowwhenyouknownowt Tue 09-Apr-19 23:14:32

Check for rhabdo?

It's something crossfitters can get, but I assume any max effort might cause it? Goes off to google...

emummy Wed 10-Apr-19 06:55:05

Deaths during or after a marathon are often in people with undiagnosed heart conditions. On this occasion the OP is feeling unwell. It is now yet clear exactly why she is feeling unwell, it may be nothing to do with the marathon or everything to do with it. She has previously run marathons without this happening. Many many people run marathons regularly without any issues at all.
Yes, you can get rhabdo, rare but possible. OP are you passing urine normally and is it a normal colour? I hope you are feeling better today but if not do go and get seen by your GP.

Blueowls Wed 10-Apr-19 07:06:26

I ran my first marathon last year and felt similar for a week or so afterwards OP, so much so that it put me off wanting to ever run another, moreso than the toughness of the marathon itself!

If you don't bounce back over the next day or so I think it might be worth asking your GP for blood tests to rule out things like anaemia and vitamin deficiencies. Marathon running and marathon training takes so much out you.

Congrats on your pb!!

Whatdoyouknowwhenyouknownowt Thu 11-Apr-19 15:46:32

Are you ok?

HollowTalk Thu 11-Apr-19 15:48:06

You say you are starving. Are you eating properly?

Mummy0ftwo12 Thu 11-Apr-19 15:48:55

Have you tried lucozade OP? I had daily hypo's after my one and only long run, was not nice.

whiteteeth04 Thu 11-Apr-19 18:47:53

Ok it's taken me a few days but I'm feeling almost normal now, although still starving. Could be an issue with food/fuel, I don't eat loads and especially not after a big run. Have forced myself to snack a lot which seems to be working.

emummy Thu 11-Apr-19 20:13:04

Glad you're feeling better! If you decide to do another one it might be an idea to review your pre race food & drink, as well as what you had during it and find something you can stomach after. A lot of people seem to swear by chocolate milk after, can't stand it myself!

OhYouBadBadKitten Sat 13-Apr-19 21:15:21

I was the same after my HM but without the hungry bit. I had to cancel some work as I was unable to stay awake. It was a bit scary. It didn't feel like I was pushing too hard at the time.

Romax Sat 20-Apr-19 13:12:44

I’m a very keen runner. 10-12k fast paced.

Why why why do people put themselves through marathons. Our bodies aren’t cut out for it.

FrangipaniBlue Sat 20-Apr-19 13:46:54

When I ran the London Marathon apart from being a bit stiff I felt fine the next day

When I ran the Edinburgh Marathon a month later I felt ill for almost a week.

The biggest differences were the weather (Edinburgh was HOT) and Edinburgh seemed to have fewer water stations. I'm convinced it was dehydration and a bit of heat stroke.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: