Talk

Advanced search

Running thread number 14

(921 Posts)
emummy Mon 25-Mar-19 07:26:24

This is a thread to talk about all things running and support each other through the highs and lows. All are welcome, from absolute beginners to experts!
We keep a running total of everyone's miles for the month, so feel free to add yours on. Current total for March is:

emummy Sat 19-Oct-19 11:17:53

Fantastic spudlet, well done!

Spudlet Sat 19-Oct-19 10:58:58

I did it and I ran all the way - that’s the furthest I’ve run since I did a 10k in 2012! Did it in 34 mins. Feeling quite pleased with myself right now grinblush

PaddingtonPaddington Fri 18-Oct-19 18:28:06

@Spudlet good luck for the parkrun.

Managed to leave work at 4pm and get a longer run in. Was sunny for the first 5 miles then strong wind and driving rain for the last 5!

Spudlet Fri 18-Oct-19 14:18:42

emummy Wish it was, that sounds lovely! I’m about as far away from that as you can be though grin

Ok, I’m going to do it! DH says he might come too and we can get a coffee on the way home 👍 Somewhat heroic of him as that means amusing DS while I huff and puff around! Hope I don’t get lost 😳🤣

emummy Fri 18-Oct-19 13:08:19

I agree, parkrun invites you to 'walk, jog or run' and the tail walker is always there so no one is last. Go for it, have fun, and if your parkrun is one in the northeast of Scotland with a castle then come & say hello, I am barcode scanning!

WaitingforToto Fri 18-Oct-19 11:41:13

Hey @Spudlet, well done for your progress! You absolutely should go for the Parkrun tomorrow - it's a great start to a Saturday morning and you will not regret it! You definitely won't look like a twat either, all levels of experience are welcome which is why it's such a great event. Walk/run combos are totally accepted and cheered on 😀 good luck, let us know how you get on

Spudlet Fri 18-Oct-19 11:14:21

Erm, total noob here, on week 6 of the C25K and thinking about doing my first ParkRun tomorrow morning.... shall I go for it? Will I look like a twat if I can’t keep running the whole way?

WaitingforToto Fri 18-Oct-19 11:13:38

Adding my 33.4 from the rest of the month...

WaitingforToto Fri 18-Oct-19 11:12:20

Steady club run last night which felt steady but was actually fairly quick (for me!)

PaddingtonPaddington Thu 17-Oct-19 21:41:39

Progressive intervals last night and it wasn’t raining for a change.

BusterTheBulldog Thu 17-Oct-19 16:08:21

4 miles easy for me today, did them far too quickly which is silly.

notnowdennis Wed 16-Oct-19 22:27:59

Ah, I see about the miles now!

I did another 3 today, so that’s up to 17 miles run this month.

WaitingforToto Wed 16-Oct-19 19:37:23

Ohh that makes sense then Emummy, thanks! I thought I was just logging my own. I'll add mine for this month after my next run then, sorry if I've confused things with my own personal total 😂

emummy Wed 16-Oct-19 11:00:09

Waiting the number in bold is the total number of miles run by everyone; so if you do 5 miles you add that to the thread total for the month & we reset on the 1st of every month.

BusterTheBulldog Wed 16-Oct-19 09:24:45

Adding my Oct total so far.

Club run for me last night, found it hard. I’ve lost so much speed from marathon training, hoping to get a little back before the end of the year!

WaitingforToto Wed 16-Oct-19 09:24:37

I've struggled to get out for the past week but managed a 5.5 miler in the rain this morning which felt good, and I got a new PB for this little route so all good.

PS -* is everyone logging their distance in bold in miles or km? There's some huge number on this thread, well done all!

emummy Wed 16-Oct-19 08:50:28

Oh the joys of Autumn running! I'm still having a wee break but Dh is off work on Friday and I am going to take him on a run to show him some different routes around town.

TriSkiRun99 Tue 15-Oct-19 13:01:27

Wet run yesterday and then foggy run this morning 12k total. Should have waited as now it’s actually sunny and not raining! Met office said my nearest town had only 1 dry day in October so far...

PaddingtonPaddington Mon 14-Oct-19 22:07:05

Very wet hills session but good fun splashing myself and others!

TriSkiRun99 Sun 13-Oct-19 21:41:19

Well done staying it’s tough doing a long run like that if your not 100%.

I did a lovely damp drizzly ParkRun sandwich on Saturday much prefer that to a hot summers day smile far nicer running conditions for me. Plan to try get two runs in tomorrow as car has to go in the garage (again) so I’ll do 2 longer loops out n back to get it hopefully, but the weather looks like it could be v.wet.

PaddingtonPaddington Sun 13-Oct-19 19:05:53

@stayingaliveisawayoflife well done for getting to the end after being sick.

My 5 mile race today was also slower than last year but I think it was due to the conditions as it was more like a cross country due to all the rain! One more race left this year.

emummy Sun 13-Oct-19 18:21:21

Well done*staying*, big congrats for pushing through when you didn't feel great. Sorry you didn't have a great experience with some of the volunteers, that's a problem with a number of races sadly.

stayingaliveisawayoflife Sun 13-Oct-19 16:49:02

I did the royal parks half today. Gutted as I didn't beat my time from last year. I was sick twice and I think my bug hadn't really gone.
I was slow and I do feel slower runners/walkers get a rough deal. A volunteer got lost when directing me and had to radio in. I lost at least five minutes until I saw a bunch of other volunteers and ran towards them. There was a lot of volunteers just chatting or looking at phones and I do get that they were bored but it does seem like the last runners don't get the same amount of attention.

There were some amazing people and the protesters at Trafalgar Square were a real cheering squad! Many volunteers were absolutely amazing but some did seem to want to be elsewhere and when you are struggling you need a bit of support and not have to wait for conversations to stop before you know which way to go.

I think my distance days are gone. I am going to focus on strengthening my core and doing park runs and short runs for health.

emummy Sat 12-Oct-19 12:57:25

It was amazing! We were all gathered round a few phones at the parkrun start watching. He's a wonderful character, very humble and hard working. We are big Kipchoge fans in this house!

AuntieStella Sat 12-Oct-19 11:56:02

I didn't see it live as I was at parkrun

What he did is the equivalent of a 14:13 parkrun, eight and a half times in a row. For context, of the 51,363,611 parkruns completed globally, only 5 have been faster than his marathon pace

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »