Talk

Advanced search

Running thread number 14

(396 Posts)
emummy Mon 25-Mar-19 07:26:24

This is a thread to talk about all things running and support each other through the highs and lows. All are welcome, from absolute beginners to experts!
We keep a running total of everyone's miles for the month, so feel free to add yours on. Current total for March is:

OhYouBadBadKitten Fri 24-May-19 22:44:45

Nice! Thanks smile

Alex3101 Sat 25-May-19 12:30:19

Parkrun for me this morning.
I've also entered a 50km night trail race in July to use as training for my 50 mile trail ultra in August.

emummy Sat 25-May-19 12:50:29

Parkrun in the sun this morning, got a PB for that course.
Good luck with the ultras Alex, might have a wee go at one next spring...

Alex3101 Sat 25-May-19 13:36:37

Thanks* emummy*
Good job on the Pb

emummy Sun 26-May-19 10:46:47

A very very very wet run this morning, I got completely soaked! Ran the route of next month's 10k with a few extra miles and am a little less worried about the big hill now.

Kedgeree Sun 26-May-19 12:07:57

Same here emummy wet, windy, uphill, slow, legs like lead after going heavy in pump class yesterday 😏. Luckily had lovely friend to run with otherwise I'd have called it at 5 miles. Pushed on a bit and pleased with eight. I'll be glad to see the back of this HM - it's definitely going to be my first and last. I'm a middle aged middle distance diva and I don't care 😂👵🏻 #MAMDD

CarrotPuff Sun 26-May-19 13:53:25

I went for 11m yesterday but only managed 10.5. Kept getting side stitches and just couldn't carry on. Lots of walking breaks, but despite that it was still my fastest 9m+ run 🤷‍♀️

This is my last long run before the race, going to taper next week.

Whoopstheregomyinsides Sun 26-May-19 20:35:42

Carrot and kedgeree - well done. Most of its in my head when I go long so you’ll be fine I’m sure. Especially if you “do the hill” beforehand!! Emummy- well done! I’m feeling all running fluffy again now with this support so thanks. And again apologies for lowering the tone to poo 😳

IRun4Me Mon 27-May-19 10:25:16

I’m liking the idea of #MAMDD grin I’m in awe of all the ultra marathon talk. I think now on it’s 10k’s and the occasional half for me!!
Went for another run with DS. He did well but I’m trying to teach him the psychological aspects of running, such as pacing yourself and also setting waymarkers to keep you going - such as running to the next lamppost and so on.

emummy Mon 27-May-19 14:02:45

IRun I am running with my ds too, he's 10 and pacing is not a strong point! We are doing a run/walk strategy, up to 7 minutes running at the moment.

CarrotPuff Mon 27-May-19 21:21:27

4 miles run this morning.

I like the idea of taking DS(5) on junior park run, does anyone know if you have to register for it or just turn up? He likes running and I think he'd be quite good at it!

emummy Tue 28-May-19 07:56:01

You register them the same as normal parkrun. Hope he enjoys it, they look like good fun.

BusterTheBulldog Tue 28-May-19 10:43:42

20.2 since last post including a easy paced park run, trail 5km race and then running some of upcoming 10k route yesterday. I’m off on hols this week, fully planning to continue training.. grin

emummy Tue 28-May-19 11:50:07

Enjoy the holiday running Buster.
Tempo run this morning, managed to avoid the rain. Have finished my OU course - after 5 years- so enjoying the feeling of freedom! Now to bite my nails till the result in July, and start job-hunting.

TriSkiRun99 Tue 28-May-19 13:54:18

Wow well done emummy 5yrs is long slog hope you enjoyed the course.
I finished reading a book at 11pm last night & said to myself if I wake at 6am I’ll go run before DH has to leave for work - yep I woke up 6am on the dot so got up before I had chance to think went out to do 5k, and got back as DH was ready in his bike to cycle to work. Hoping I can do the same tomorrow or I’ll miss my target this month.

Whoopstheregomyinsides Tue 28-May-19 20:03:30

You’re inspiring me to run in the morning
If my low carbs allow it. Maybe a short one

TriSkiRun99 Tue 28-May-19 21:11:40

I love breakfast but if I get out before 7am I know I can run upto 10k fasted. I do have water though. It was a revelation to me that my body could do it.

IRun4Me Wed 29-May-19 07:18:29

Well done emummy on the studying and good luck job hunting. Have a good holiday buster
Short one last night. I do need to get back in to running in the morning and I also need to start upping my distance again before it becomes too hard as I left it too long.

TriSkiRun99 Wed 29-May-19 07:25:17

Another 6am run squeezed in before DH goes to work. Bit drizzly rain but I was comfy in shorts & T-shirt. I need to get 10k in tomorrow to hit my months target as we are away for a long weekend.

TriSkiRun99 Wed 29-May-19 07:35:14

Does anyone on here weight train and run? I’ve been reading about weight training to build strength and muscle and hopefully burn more fat. I’m still 2 stone overweight despite being very cardio fit, and really want to drop weight healthy. I’ve done it before but I wasn’t running and ironically now I think about I was doing 20mins weighted HITT 3x a week and then walking everywhere as on maternity leave. I started running as I had less time to exercise and discovered I loved it, but it makes me hungry (unlike my DH who finds it kills his appetite 🙄). I’m trying to find a balance as I can’t motivate myself to do squats and lunges with weights as just don’t get the same “buzz” as cardio but know I really need to do it...

Kedgeree Wed 29-May-19 08:13:55

I weight train and run Tri. I run only a couple of times a week because I'm old and my knees are shot. I do a pump class twice a week, HIIT twice, circuits once or twice, yoga once and a PT session where we lift properly heavy. Today I'll do my PT, 30 min pump and HIIT. Run tomorrow probably, maybe Friday.

Kedgeree Wed 29-May-19 08:14:53

Lifting heavy is a massive buzz btw. Just as much as running.

thenewaveragebear1983 Wed 29-May-19 08:33:02

I do hiit workouts at home 2x a week and Do a circuits and a bootcamp type thing once or twice too which is mostly weights/body weight/resistance type exercises. It's definitely changed my body shape (I don't lift heavy weights really, but it's still toned me up a lot) - but that's in combination with running and food control so it's hard to tell what impact it would have had alone.

TriSkiRun99 Wed 29-May-19 14:27:04

I’ve made myself a you tube list of weighted dumbell moves and did some today after my run. My legs hurt from yesterday’s squats n lunges though 😩this is why I get put off strength stuff as I just get DOMs everytime so makes me feel crap. Running, swim and cycling just don’t give me painful muscle soreness. I had to take ibuprofen earlier. Then I don’t associate any form of pleasure from doing it and subsequently have zero motivation to do it again but feel like I should do it...

Kedgeree Wed 29-May-19 14:37:44

The more you do it, the less DOMS you will get - or at least the DOMS won't be quite as bad grin. Training to strengthen your leg muscles definitely makes a difference to your running. I tend not to train legs and run on the same day though...

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »