Talk

Advanced search

Running thread number 14

(425 Posts)
emummy Mon 25-Mar-19 07:26:24

This is a thread to talk about all things running and support each other through the highs and lows. All are welcome, from absolute beginners to experts!
We keep a running total of everyone's miles for the month, so feel free to add yours on. Current total for March is:

emummy Wed 24-Apr-19 20:21:03

Sorry to hear that Buster but it sounds like the right thing to do. London can be a great experience, it would be a shame not to be able to enjoy it. Enjoy the cheering!

emummy Thu 25-Apr-19 10:44:04

Relaxing forest run in the sunshine with dog today, very pleasant!

Kedgeree Thu 25-Apr-19 10:45:51

Checking in - 6 miles on Tuesday.

jumperoo0 Thu 25-Apr-19 10:54:26

Can I join please? Going on my first run since having DS 6 months ago. Half marathon booked for 5 months time... grin

emummy Thu 25-Apr-19 11:10:24

Welcome jumperoo0! Enjoy your first run and good luck with the half. Plenty of time....

TriSkiRun99 Thu 25-Apr-19 12:43:43

onanothertrain I swear by a Bra Band - I’ve tried an eBay copy but only the real deal works brill for minimising the boob bounce even whilst wearing a shock absorber run bra. I honestly couldn’t run with out it. It’s big bit of elastic that wraps over the top of the bra so any sports bra will do. No fiddly straps and just Velcro’s at front or you can slide it round.

Quick lunch 3.1m today as legs weary after cycling to work n back yesterday, and Monday’s 10m.

emummy Fri 26-Apr-19 10:48:47

Intervals today. I usually run Saturday but tomorrow will be crazy busy so out today.

Rollerbird Fri 26-Apr-19 11:25:53

I'm going to join!! 😁
I'm down for a 10k mid/end of June.
I started running about a month ago and have run the 6 miles SLOW once.
Usually do 3 miles medium
Did this today!

Rollerbird Fri 26-Apr-19 11:27:14

Meant to say that I am trying for 3 x a week, but seems like usually manage 2 x.

emummy Fri 26-Apr-19 14:59:35

Welcome Rollerbird! Good luck with your 10k training. I have a 10k mid-June too, trying not to think about the hills involved...

OhYouBadBadKitten Fri 26-Apr-19 17:23:32

I got a sub 1 hour 10K today grin I did have to stop a couple of times as I felt quite sick, but I did it.

OhYouBadBadKitten Fri 26-Apr-19 17:23:56

OhYouBadBadKitten Fri 26-Apr-19 17:24:46

Rollerbird you sound in a great position for your race smile sorry, I should have looked before I typed.

Rollerbird Fri 26-Apr-19 19:03:46

I don't think it's a 'race' as such for me! 😁
But - hopefully aiming for as near an hour as possible
I will try a 10k on Sunday (rest tomorrow) and time it.
I've been trying not to measure my distance/time properly as I don't want to get discouraged at the moment, just keep running.

Whoopstheregomyinsides Fri 26-Apr-19 19:44:12

10.7 miles today. Back on carbs and felt way better than earlier in week
Half marathon not quite as scRy now.

thenewaveragebear1983 Fri 26-Apr-19 19:50:02

I did my last run before my half on Sunday. I usually eat relatively low carb, but have been eating absolute crap recently, so after 3 strict days this week to shift some bloat and water retention I'm going to carefully introduce some starchy carbs, eg porridge tomorrow morning and see what happens. I know I'll need some fuel for my race. I tried out a sis gel today, which didn't appear to have any adverse effects.

Whoopstheregomyinsides Sat 27-Apr-19 07:58:04

I went back on carbs the last 2 weeks as I was really struggling to run without them. Hopefully gentle ones will be ok for you. Well done on training for s half without then. I’m in awe. It really shifted the weight for me but just couldn’t move my legs. Going to try it again after my half is done (19th May Manchester- anyone else doing it?)

thenewaveragebear1983 Sat 27-Apr-19 08:11:53

Whoops the problem is, I haven't been really 'off them' - I tend to make meals low carb and then end up eating sugary rubbish, which is a rather disordered and chaotic way to eat. I'm really trying to cut out the sugar, but I think in tandem with that I need to introduce the starchy carbs- since my body fat has dropped (was 3 stone overweight, now I have this weird GI Jane thing going on....) I just find my body claws back every burned calorie in the easiest, quickest way.

TriSkiRun99 Sat 27-Apr-19 10:27:13

Park run (+1k from car) this morning absolutely brutal gusty 50mph wind and sand blasting grin my DD was determined to do it as she “felt springy” She set off really fast but the last 0.5k crashed so just missed her sub-30m goal as the wind was too strong.

I’ve tried low carbing as my body craves carbs then sugar then carbs but like you guys I just couldn’t exercise much & felt leaden. I do have to watch the cause and effect of carb- chocolate cycle as my hormones run rampant in middle age 😬. We have wholemeal bread/pasta/rice and I eat eggs a lot for breakfast but logging on MFP my protein always seems lower so I’ve just ordered some protein powder to see if that will help?
Good luck to those running events this weekend hopefully the wind will drop for Sunday.

Whoopstheregomyinsides Sat 27-Apr-19 13:55:10

I’m same with carbs. Had a bagel thin. Then crashed then just had another. I can’t stop once I pop

Whoopstheregomyinsides Sat 27-Apr-19 14:00:30

I need to hop back in the blood sugar diet thread and remind myself of menu choices and get shopping

Whoopstheregomyinsides Sat 27-Apr-19 18:53:06

In the meantime I’ve had salt and pepper chips - must get out and run tomorrow and try to offset the madness! That’s my dirty food secret out. Seems I can lose weight or run...I’m too greedy to find balance - eh away with work and I’m 5 days into solo house running. Hats off to anyone who does this alone all the time

nrpmum Sat 27-Apr-19 18:58:15

Can I join. I really need help finding my mojo. I am hypothyroid and I think have finally found the right level medication but had meningitis last year, which sparked it. Started back running this year but it has been sporadic whilst the GP has been trying to get meds level right.

Struggled with 3k and until last year was running 15k three times a week.

OhYouBadBadKitten Sat 27-Apr-19 21:05:03

You are very welcome nrp. You'll get there, you sound determined.

AuntieBulgaria Sat 27-Apr-19 21:12:38

Well done on your 10.7 miles Whoops.

TriRunSki - what sort of Triathlon are you training for? They have just started lake swimming season at our country park - does anyone ever do breaststroke in open water?

I have started a Nike Run Club half marathon plan for my event in Sept. First run was just 3k on Friday but I felt really heavy and slow.

I squeezed in a 5k this morning before it got too wet and windy and felt considerably better.

Tomorrow is supposed to be a 'benchmark' run - warm up and then 3 minutes full blast. I'm going to London Marathon spectating though so not sure when I'll manage that.

Sorry - posting on the app means I can't see the previous posts to remember the mileage total. blush

Whoopstheregomyinsides Sun 28-Apr-19 07:47:08

Can’t wait to watch London marathon on tv today. It’s so inspiring.

IRun4Me Sun 28-Apr-19 08:36:18

That is a shame Buster but sounds the right decision. You definitely want to feel ready for a marathon and enjoy it.
Good luck to all those with races today.

OhYouBadBadKitten Sun 28-Apr-19 09:00:34

flowers Buster.

emummy Sun 28-Apr-19 09:33:45

Lovely run in early morning sunshine today, now camped on sofa to watch London, bringing back happy memories!
I hope when the medication is sorted you will feel better nrp, I am hypothyroid too but have been on the same dose for a few years now.

291.7 mine & Auntie's

thenewaveragebear1983 Sun 28-Apr-19 11:49:33

Half done, 1hr 59! (According to Fitbit- still waiting for official times but- yay! I'll take that)

Rollerbird Sun 28-Apr-19 12:19:57

Awesome! That's great.

OhYouBadBadKitten Sun 28-Apr-19 12:22:30

Well done!!! That's a fabulous time.

emummy Sun 28-Apr-19 13:43:57

Woo-hoo bear! That's fantastic, well done!

Crazycrazylady Sun 28-Apr-19 13:57:06

Looking for advice please. Took up running 3 months ago. However my knee started to bother me ( in inside) , kept going but after one particular race about two weeks ago it seized up completely and I could put no weight on it.. feels better now in that I've no pain when I walk but still painful when I try and run.. I'm loosing my fitness fast.. my Physio' has said it's inflamed and will settle but would I be mad not to wait anymore and give it a go. Anyone had anything similar?

emummy Sun 28-Apr-19 22:07:39

Has the physio said what is actually inflamed? If something is still giving trouble after 2 weeks of rest, maybe you need some stretches or strengthening exercises to do? Often knees can get sore because of tightness or weakness in muscles higher up the leg. It may be worth seeing the physio again for another assessment now that the some of the pain has reduced.

thenewaveragebear1983 Sun 28-Apr-19 22:28:14

Official times are in: 1.57.34 chip time and 2.01 gun time. I came 875 out of 1850, so top half of the board. Very pleased. Currently undoing all my efforts with red wine and cake.

IRun4Me Mon 29-Apr-19 06:50:37

Well done averagebear that’s brilliant. And I hope you enjoyed the well deserved wine and cake.
Sorry crazy no other advice to add. But I hope it gets better soon.
Didn’t think I was going to get a run in this weekend but managed to go yesterday afternoon. I don’t normally enjoy afternoon running especially on a Sunday but it was a really nice one.
Think I’ve got a couple of runs to add.

OhYouBadBadKitten Mon 29-Apr-19 07:34:46

That's so good averagebear. Well done!

Rollerbird Mon 29-Apr-19 10:07:02

I intended to run on Sunday but after a 7 mile dog walk with dh I couldn't find the motivation 😞

nrpmum Mon 29-Apr-19 15:25:41

@emummy thanks. I think I need to start short and work longer again. I walk the dogs every day too

FATEdestiny Mon 29-Apr-19 17:19:13

So inspired by yesterday's marathon. I've ballot entered VLM. Fingers crossed!

thenewaveragebear1983 Mon 29-Apr-19 19:51:52

Nice one fate. I don't think I could put the training in for the full one, I already run for hours each week, I don't think Dh would be too supportive if I doubled it!!!

OhYouBadBadKitten Mon 29-Apr-19 21:06:25

Good luck FATE!

A gentle 3m run today. 302.8

OhYouBadBadKitten Mon 29-Apr-19 21:13:12

It's tempting to enter, but my physio says no and the training takes so long.

thenewaveragebear1983 Mon 29-Apr-19 21:22:25

I've just entered a local 10k for October. I was thinking today that my time yesterday shows that I probably don't really push myself to my max in training, and certainly not recently. So I've challenged myself to work on my pace for this one!

CarrotPuff Tue 30-Apr-19 12:32:52

Can I join too please?

I've signed up for my first half at the beginning of June. Only completed c25k in January, but ran 7 miles this weekend and that felt very doable!

Also trying to lose some weight, but ive actually put on some weight this month, with all the muscle repair and stuff, although I think a licence to eat everything in sight since I've started might do more with it than actual training blush

Rollerbird Tue 30-Apr-19 14:17:36

I didn't go running Sunday as planned but I did 6 miles today (yay). 😊
Timed myself at 1hr and 1 minute, so hopefully my June 10k should be achievable in a bit less than an hour?
Hour is the goal but hopefully less.
I am so proud of myself. The first 2 I did at 100 % comfort, 3rd and 4th mile was a tiny bit more pushed. 5th mile pushed more, 6th mile my hip and knee bothered me and I went slower.
Planning to run again on Thursday or Friday but a 3 miler.

Kedgeree Tue 30-Apr-19 16:19:01

12km in the sun today. Inspired by thenewaveragebear to up my pace for my half in July!

emummy Tue 30-Apr-19 18:43:46

Welcome Carrot! If you're up to 7 miles you're doing great. I know what you mean about the eating!

jelly79 Tue 30-Apr-19 22:59:32

Hi smile can I join you? I have been running regularly for nearly 2 years since I had my son. Helps with headspace and keeping the weight off smile I've done a HM, a few 10k races and try to get out a couple of times a week but either do 5/10k per run. I'm losing my motivation a bit, not sure if I'm a bit bored and need some drive....

IRun4Me Wed 01-May-19 08:13:15

Welcome Carrot and Jelly
I know my motivation can wane at times Jelly. Do you need a goal to aim for? Or change of route/distances? What about running with someone? I know if my motivation goes I need a goal - either a race or setting myself a challenge.
Well done Rollerbird definitely deserve to be proud.
All the Marathon talk has made me realise I definitely don’t want to do another (at the moment grin) So glad I did it but happy to leave it at the once.
Managed to get out yesterday. So much happening at the moment, but need to get out for the headspace but finding the time is so hard. So having to squeeze short fast runs in here and there which is not my ideal but probably good for my speed training.
320.4 Is that now it for our April total?

emummy Wed 01-May-19 11:17:15

Sounds good IRun! No running from me today, bootcamp in the sunshine instead.
Welcome Jelly! I think if you're short of motivation it can help to think about what you get from running. Is it for fun, competition, health, mental health etc? Finding new routes can be good, joining a running club, goin to your local Parkrun if you don't already. If you like to race, maybe have a look for one that is interesting - maybe a particularly scenic route or in a place you'd like to visit or a different distance, like a 10 mile, or try trail or relay races.

emummy Thu 02-May-19 11:06:16

Wet cold weather has returned! Hilly damp run through the forest, dog had a lovely time finding all the muddy puddles to roll in. Took it easy, last run before Sunday's 10k race. Although I will be tail walking at parkrun on Saturday with my light sabre!

Rollerbird Fri 03-May-19 09:40:38

Shorter ru and to see how fast an easy 3 mile was.
I couldn't help pushing myself and the last mile was as fast as possible.
Killed me but I am happy. 3miles in 27.37
Total distance 3.65

AuntieBulgaria Fri 03-May-19 18:57:06

Great time Averagebear. Hello to everyone.

I've started my half marathon training plan.

Supposed to be 2 x 30 mins runs and 1 3 mile run this week (all jeffed). Had a speedy but shorter than necessary one at lunchtime on Wednesday and a plodding one this morning. 5.4miles in total.

Am going to try and follow the long slow run idea despite the fact it's only 3 miles on Sunday.

CarrotPuff Sat 04-May-19 07:35:40

Roller that's amazing time!

Went for a run yesterday morning, it was my fastest 3 miles ever, in just under 30 mins! Was super proud of myself!

Rollerbird Sat 04-May-19 10:49:07

My clutch went on my car yesterday (yay!)
So I RAN to the gym this morning!
No idea of time, as my fitness tracker ran out of battery.
Easy easy pace.
2.5 miles there, then weights, then 2.5 miles back!! 😁

emummy Sat 04-May-19 11:35:02

Great running everyone! Tailwalking at parkrun today, rather chilly but at least it didn't rain. 10k tomorrow in Aberdeen, hoping the wind at the beach is not too ferocious

TriSkiRun99 Sat 04-May-19 18:18:45

ParkRun sandwich today so got 7k done, after 5k on Thursday. Swam & cycled thurs & Friday as on 2wk countdown to my Tri. We in Southampton tonight as DH running his first event Marathon tomorrow. FingersXed the hotel isn’t too noisy as we very close to the start it looks like a few runners starting here too.

CarrotPuff Sun 05-May-19 11:23:40

8 miles done this morning, and I don't even want to die. Did some stretching afterwards too, which I've been ignoring so far 🙈 and my hip feels so much better already!

What's a sandwich park run btw?

Rollerbird Sun 05-May-19 11:32:41

Well done carrot
That's a long way!

emummy Sun 05-May-19 11:59:35

Well done Carrot.
10k race for me today, got a pb so very happy!
A parkrun sandwich is run to parkrun, do parkrun, then run again after.

OhYouBadBadKitten Sun 05-May-19 16:56:01

10k race for me too and knocked loads off my pb. Well chuffed!

OhYouBadBadKitten Sun 05-May-19 16:57:00

Well done Carrot and well done Emummy!!!

CarrotPuff Sun 05-May-19 17:22:48

Haha emmu, that makes sense! Well done on you pb and Kitten too!

I need a proper running bra, as I got a cheapie yoga one and need far more support on long runs. How does everyone find sizing on the shock absorbers? I'm usually 30G.

Iblinkedandiamold Sun 05-May-19 18:04:41

Hi can i join. I'm not really a runner, more a jogger. Only started in October with park runs. Today I did a 10k mini marathon. I did it in 1hr 10/11 minutes.
Don't know if I made it over the line before the clock changed to 11 minutes.
I managed to jog most of it, only walking a little so I was more chuffed with that than the time.
I just need to brag really. I am so pleased with myself. I am also starving and exhausted.

Rollerbird Sun 05-May-19 18:17:42

@carrotpuff I rate the shock absorber.
I'm a 32 g
M and s very high impact bras too

CarrotPuff Sun 05-May-19 19:16:52

Thanks roller, did you get the same size as your normal bras?

Rollerbird Sun 05-May-19 20:41:13

The shock absorber I got 32ff
Fit is tight (as it should be)
M and s don't do a 30 band. Mine is 32 g so the same, and I am happy with it.

OhYouBadBadKitten Sun 05-May-19 20:50:57

Well done Iblinked, that's an awesome time for a first 10k smile

emummy Sun 05-May-19 20:51:43

Well done * kitten*, great stuff!
Welcome Iblinked! Well done on your 10k today.

OhYouBadBadKitten Sun 05-May-19 20:52:09

I have a shock absorber but not the actual running one as I can't work out how to get into them grin

Whoopstheregomyinsides Sun 05-May-19 21:25:47

Well done all of you who’ve done races.
Did 12 miles today with a hangover. I don’t recommend it but my head feels in a better place for the half now. A tapering two weeks now I think

OhYouBadBadKitten Sun 05-May-19 23:03:45

That was brave grin

Even my ribs hurt tonight after the race, never mind my arms. Is that normal?

Whoopstheregomyinsides Mon 06-May-19 09:43:45

Everything hurts today. Maybe I was still drunk?! I’m planning a hot bath later and a restful week

Whoopstheregomyinsides Mon 06-May-19 09:49:30

So yes totally normal but well done !!

OhYouBadBadKitten Mon 06-May-19 10:54:37

That sounds a good plan! grin
I'm very sore, but at least my breathing doesn't feel squashed today! That was weird last night, as though I couldn't breathe deeply enough.

Whoopstheregomyinsides Mon 06-May-19 15:26:55

I kind of want to go out again but will resist and do a little one tomorrow Instead after work as work will mean I need it!

OhYouBadBadKitten Mon 06-May-19 17:02:07

me too. I like those endorphins, but they aren't. worth risking injury for. I've been out for a gentle walk instead.

thenewaveragebear1983 Mon 06-May-19 18:28:00

Whoops it's probably more your core muscles rather than your actual ribs, I did a fast run into wind a few weeks ago and had very similar pain, felt like I'd been in a fight!

I have had a rather marvellous 3 days off; a bit of post race, foot healing time out. I'm hoping that I'll be back with mojo and metatarsals fully restored from tomorrow!

Rollerbird Mon 06-May-19 19:12:41

I did 3.82 miles today and it was so slow!
My legs were so heavy and tired - no idea why. I was over 11 mins each mile today versus under 10 mins per mile a few days ago for the same distance.

Whoopstheregomyinsides Mon 06-May-19 21:48:56

I think we all have harder runs at some point. You still beat anyone on the sofa like me, hobbling about!

OhYouBadBadKitten Mon 06-May-19 21:54:32

That's what it's like Bear, but it's side rib pain. I'm not moaning though, it shows I put effort in grin

It's funny how it goes Rollerbird, have you been overdoing it do you think?

countdowntonap Mon 06-May-19 22:12:29

Can I join please? After running outside since Feb, I did my first race yesterday - 10km in 51.22 minutes.

The atmosphere was amazing, and I’ve truly caught the running bug after years of thinking that running wasn’t for me. Looking forward to being further inspired by this thread.

OhYouBadBadKitten Mon 06-May-19 22:19:39

woah countdown, that's a very good time!

Rollerbird Tue 07-May-19 06:13:15

countdown Well done! Wow!

I'm using this thread for support and to keep myself accountable - my diet has gone to pot, so maybe lack of energy is linked to that?

thenewaveragebear1983 Tue 07-May-19 07:39:24

Roller it can be due to your cycle too, in the weeks between ovulation and day 1 of your period (luteal phase) you can get that heavy legs feeling, plus I find I get a stitch more in that week. I read a runners world article on it once that was very informative

emummy Tue 07-May-19 11:14:46

Welcome countdown, what a fantastic result!
Hope all the racers have recovered; I had a terrible sleep last night so instead of today's planned tempo run I went easy and just plodded along.

emummy Tue 07-May-19 11:16:06

Oops wrong total, should be 63.8

countdowntonap Tue 07-May-19 19:08:52

Thanks, everyone.
If you have a race in the evening, after work, when do you eat your main meal? I’m not sure how to beat fuel an evening race.

thenewaveragebear1983 Tue 07-May-19 20:39:56

Countdown I'd really struggle with an evening race to be honest, Is this something you have imminently? I almost never run in the evening so I think I'd have to specifically train in the evenings to do it. Probably eat an early lunch (11am?) for a 5pm/6 pm start, maybe a isotonic gel at about 5 ish to help avoid a stitch?

CarrotPuff Tue 07-May-19 20:58:28

I sometimes run after work, and I just run without eating and have dinner afterwards. Same way like I don't eat before morning run.

Went for my short mid week run and decided to challenge myself and ran up a steep hill. Sod that for a laugh! It was my slowest run ever, even once the hill was done!

Whoopstheregomyinsides Tue 07-May-19 21:09:31

2.1 slow miles done. I mad I was posting on Facebook I’m sure I should describe as “easy recovery run now I’m tapering” but in reality it was short and slow because I’m knackered after too much BH wine and scared of my Achilles not playing ball! Still, nice and cool and easy.
Hope everyone is ok!

BusterTheBulldog Tue 07-May-19 22:10:46

Well done on your pbs oybk and emummy!

I’m back on the thread after a slight sulk after deferring London. 24 miles so far in May. Lovely easy 4 last night and 7 at club tonight.

TriSkiRun99 Wed 08-May-19 21:06:08

Just done my wed eve run. I wouldn’t chose to run this late 8-9pm but my DD is at her sports training so I run instead of just sitting there waiting for her and usually do 8-10k. The Trouble is it then takes me ages to get to sleep tonight as my body winds down, and then I’m up at 6am for work so do feel abit jaded in the morning. I’m up to 25k so far in May which is about 16.5m I’ll add on.

emummy Thu 09-May-19 11:34:43

Lovely sunshine today but still freezing! Did an interval session on hilly forest tracks, good workout for my brain trying to time the hard efforts for the downhills!
Welcome back Buster!

IRun4Me Thu 09-May-19 17:17:48

I’m still here and lurking hardly been out running recently and not been out for well over a week. Had lots of reasons (excuses) including a big birthday which seems a very large number shock
But hoping to get back in to it this weekend

thenewaveragebear1983 Thu 09-May-19 18:22:34

Is it normal to experience a post race period of 'blues' do you reckon, or am I just being dramatic?! My race was on 28th, I then had 2 more really good runs (felt like i was still on a bit of a high?) then since then i've really really struggled. My last run was awful, today's was ok but not great- the whole way just feeling really demotivated and 'meh' and also didn't get that nice 'glad I went' feeling afterwards.

Doesn't help that my trainers have ripped so I was wearing my old ones which felt heavy on my feet, but that's not normally a major issue like it was today?

Have ordered some new Brooks though, they should be here soon grin

OhYouBadBadKitten Thu 09-May-19 21:11:58

The Brooks will help!
I'm struggling to get out too sincethe weekend, knackered and it keeps pissing down.

Whoopstheregomyinsides Fri 10-May-19 20:09:01

I think new shoes are always helpful. I also think some weeks are just hard then it gets better again.
3.5 done today - tapering before the half next weekend but felt quite good. Achilles holding up and treating myself to a massage for shoulders and low back to try and be on form! Bother can’t see number now

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »