Talk

Advanced search

Running thread number 14

(288 Posts)
emummy Mon 25-Mar-19 07:26:24

This is a thread to talk about all things running and support each other through the highs and lows. All are welcome, from absolute beginners to experts!
We keep a running total of everyone's miles for the month, so feel free to add yours on. Current total for March is:

emummy Mon 25-Mar-19 07:28:09

The old thread is finally full, so started a new one. Not that I will have much to add this week, am planning a rest week to let my sore heel recover.

thenewaveragebear1983 Mon 25-Mar-19 09:19:48

Thanks for the new thread emummy

IRun4Me Mon 25-Mar-19 13:09:23

Thanks emummy And I hope the heel recovers soon. How are you feeling today apart from that?
I’ll hopefully be out this week. Cycled to work and legs aren’t feeling too bad this morning. I think the walking around London after the half, to catch the train, helped with a warm down. But the test of time will tell grin

Daisydoesnt Mon 25-Mar-19 13:26:18

Just calling in to say a massive well done to IRun and emummuy for your HMs this weekend!!!

FATEdestiny Mon 25-Mar-19 14:00:16

Congrats on your PB at the weekend mummy!

emummy Mon 25-Mar-19 14:51:06

Thanks FATE and * Daisy*!
Irun I feel fine, apart from a horrible sore throat. The heel has been sore on & off for a few weeks so this seems like a good chance to rest it. Otherwise I would be out running this week.

Kedgeree Mon 25-Mar-19 20:12:51

Congrats to all this weekend's star runners. Well done on the PBs!
14k tonight in 1:23:14, nice conditions, enjoyed it.

IRun4Me Thu 28-Mar-19 20:07:41

First run since the weekend. Legs felt heavy but once got going felt fine.

Daisydoesnt Thu 28-Mar-19 20:11:06

Well done IRun

I'm sulking. I woke up yesterday with a really, really sore lower back, I've no idea why (I do suffer with back pain, but haven't had a bad episode for nearly 18mths). Was meant to run yesterday and then go to yoga, and there was no way I could do either. I could barely walk my dogs along the lane. i am meant to be running my first HM on Sunday and I'm not feeling very optimistic that I'm going to get there sad

emummy Fri 29-Mar-19 07:54:22

Oh no daisy! Is there anything you can do today, like getting a massage or seeing a physio or chiropractor? I hope it gets better in time.

Daisydoesnt Fri 29-Mar-19 08:14:01

thanks emummy. I was supposed to have a sports massage today, which I'd booked just as a nice thing to have before the HM, but got my dates in a muddle as it was actually booked for Wednesday so I missed it (TBH I was so uncomfortable Weds I wouldn't have wanted to go anyway). I am on the ibuprofen, ice & hot water bottles, some gentle stretching and a little walking. I am a little better than yesterday, so fingers crossed I carry on improving.

emummy Fri 29-Mar-19 11:33:50

Fingers crossed for you!

Daisydoesnt Fri 29-Mar-19 11:42:45

thank you!

IRun4Me Fri 29-Mar-19 13:01:30

Fingers crossed Daisy hope the back eases

Kedgeree Fri 29-Mar-19 18:51:31

16km today in the sun, some off road dodging lambs grin. My knees are killing me and I've got a blister, but that's my longest run yet so feeling pleased.
Hope you can get to the start line Daisy.

YorkshireLawyer Sat 30-Mar-19 06:26:31

Hi everyone, can I join this thread please (can’t believe I’m joining a running thread!). I’m doing my first ever 10k race tomorrow. I started running mid January after having my third baby. I started with C25K (although started at w3) and that first day just running for 5 minutes felt like a massive achievement. I then did junior park run with my DS(6) and was thrilled to manage 2k without stopping. Since then I’ve been running 4-5 times per week and have built up my distances - this week I ran 10 miles without stopping (I’m not fast, it took two hours but it felt amazing!).

I’m doing a mix of running on a treadmill at home while DD (now 18 weeks) naps, running outside pushing her in the pram and running outside on my own. I’ve done my local Parkrun a couple of times (have to share with my DH) and tomorrow I’m doing our local 10k which I’m so excited to do, if a bit scared of the hills. I now look for opportunities to fit a run in, even on holiday or when I’ve had a bad night with DD and, four months after having my third baby, I’m fitter than I’ve ever been having never been an exerciser before - I love it!

thenewaveragebear1983 Sat 30-Mar-19 06:33:13

Ooooh exciting Yorkshire! I did my first race in February and what amazed me was how much I enjoyed the atmosphere; as soon as it was over I was planning my next one!
How far have you run in training?

emummy Sat 30-Mar-19 06:52:18

Welcome Yorkshire! So glad you are enjoying your running. Good luck tomorrow, hope the weather is kind and you have a great time.

IRun4Me Sat 30-Mar-19 07:26:27

Welcome Yorkshire and enjoy tomorrow.
How’s the back Daisy are you going to be able to do your half tomorrow?

Daisydoesnt Sat 30-Mar-19 10:29:36

A warm welcome from me too Yorkshire - you sound a bit like me, still amazed that you've fallen in love with running!!! Very good luck for tomorrow, I am sure you will have a blast. Don't forget, don't be tempted to go off to fast - save a bit for a strong finish!

IRun my back is really no better than it was Wednesday, so I am resigned to no HM for me tomorrow. I am absolutely gutted, as I'm in such good shape (I mean, other than my back), and I was so looking forward to it, and hoping to go for a good time.

There is a 10k trail race in my village in a fortnight, which I'm hoping I'll be better for, and then a 10k road race in our nearest town in 5 weeks. So they will be good to look forward to.

What's everyone else up to this weekend? It's lovely conditions for it here; still, quite cold and dry.

emummy Sat 30-Mar-19 12:45:16

Oh Daisy I am sorry. Glad you have some other races to aim for. Just back from parkrun where I was RD today. Lovely sunny day here too. Not running till next week, a session at boot camp running up steps last week has killed my calves!

TriSkiRun99 Sun 31-Mar-19 08:02:07

Good luck yorkshire hope your run goes well today. I’m another mum who can’t quite believe I started running two years ago but it fits in so easily with family life.
Had a lovey family ParkRun yesterday and eldest DD got a PB whilst youngest DD got round without moaning and hardly any walks as she had a friends dog to hold most of the way. The dog really distracted her and is used to running so just kept her at an even pace smile but it was funny at the end my DD always finds a super fast sprint finish no matter how much she was moaning earlier and doggie just looked at her like WHAT you want ME to sprint THIS? It was really funny but she loved it.

TriSkiRun99 Sun 31-Mar-19 08:03:50

Sorry to hear about your back daisy I have always had back issues and it’s SO frustrating when they flare up. Hope a couple of weeks gentle moving & massage releases it.

FATEdestiny Sun 31-Mar-19 09:42:17

Did a half marathon distance run yesterday. Today I've put a pound and a half on, weight wise. Not great when I'm trying to lose confused

Daisydoesnt Sun 31-Mar-19 09:56:44

Thanks everyone - my husband has just told me that he's booked us a lovely holiday for my 50th this time next year, so that's cheered me up no end!

Looking forward to hearing how your 10k went today yorkshire.

FATE I have totally given up trying to work out how the exercise/weight/diet thing works - I understand how it works in essence, but there always seems to be a weird time lag. Perhaps it's mainly water if you've been rehydrating yourself after that long, long run?

thenewaveragebear1983 Sun 31-Mar-19 10:49:59

Fate I find I retain water after particularly long of gruelling runs, I have read somewhere that you hold water round your muscles to repair them (I think?). 1.5lb water is only about 700 ml so it could well be that?

I definitely agree about the time lag for weight loss/ gain/exercise. It's a pain when you're doing really well and gain!

YorkshireLawyer Sun 31-Mar-19 11:12:25

Thank you for the welcomes everyone. I hope your back is better soon daisy. Exciting news about the holiday in the meantime.

Just back from the 10k and I loved it! The perfect conditions probably helped - dry and sunny but not too warm. I ran it in 1:05.37 which I was thrilled with - I wanted to go under 1:15. I also ran the whole thing which was my main aim - there were a few hills, some of them fairly steep (this being Yorkshire) and the course was described by organisers as “challenging”. I haven’t done that much outside running yet and have a fear of hills so I was really pleased to keep going up all of them even if someone with longer legs could probably have walked up them quicker than I ran them. Now in the bath with a cuppa looking for more races to do and looking forward to a steak dinner which may involve some red wine tonight! Happy Sunday to everyone, hope it goes well if you are running today.

emummy Sun 31-Mar-19 11:59:13

Brillian Yorkshire, well done!

IRun4Me Sun 31-Mar-19 15:39:00

Well done Yorkshire and glad you enjoyed it.
That’s lovely Daisyand hopefully cheered you up a bit.
I did a gentle short run this morning whilst the child was at his sports training. I found a new route along the river and it was so nice.

IRun4Me Sun 31-Mar-19 15:42:36

Not sure what the monthly total is and if it’s up to date??
I’ll add mine today from the last total anyway

FATEdestiny Sun 31-Mar-19 21:26:59

279km is my personal total for March, 173.4 miles.

emummy Tue 02-Apr-19 09:52:01

Short easy run in the rain this morning, a welcome dose of relaxation in the madness that is the school holidays!

Daisydoesnt Tue 02-Apr-19 10:33:54

hi everyone and a very well done to you Yorkshire. That is a really good time for a hilly, challenging course! Are you still on cloud nine?

My back is finally easing off, I have a sports massage tomorrow and physio Thursday. I do hope to be able to do a gentle jog maybe Thursday or Friday? We'll see. There is a trail 10k in my village (it literally goes past our front door) a week Sunday and I really, REALLY want to be well enough to do that.

In the meantime I am looking at autumn HMs and plotting work around them!!

IRun4Me Tue 02-Apr-19 19:46:01

Short run this evening. The tank is empty - I need to get to the end of term and hopefully get some r&r. I did end up sprinting at the end as I was trying to beat the rain - didn’t work grin
Glad the back is easing Daisy I’ve got no races in the pipeline. Not sure if that’s a good or bad thing to be honest.

YorkshireLawyer Tue 02-Apr-19 19:54:54

Thank you everyone - yes, still amazed and surprised that I did it! Going to try and find another race to enter tonight - DD still cluster feeds quite a lot in the evening so tend to spend 7-10pm with my bum glued to the sofa so plenty of opportunity to search out a race.

Glad your back is starting to feel better Daisy. The trail 10k sounds good. I’m thinking of looking into a bit of trail running to save my knees. There’s a trail 5k near me on 21 June that I’m going to do and then in the autumn a 10k/10 mile/HM event at the same place. Weighing up whether to tackle the 10 miler!

Awarded myself a day off yesterday but have done a slow 10.5k today pushing DD in the pram. Think that takes the new month’s total to

YorkshireLawyer Tue 02-Apr-19 19:56:30

Oops, cross post!

Total now

thenewaveragebear1983 Tue 02-Apr-19 20:09:05

If you're looking for 'off road' 10kms (I won't say fully trail as such), some of the National trust houses do Trust10 on the last Sunday of each month. My local one is through fields and farmland, i have only done it once but I enjoyed it. It isn't a proper race but it has a nice low key 'racey' vibe about it. Might be worth looking in your local area (I found mine on Facebook)? You don't have to be an NT member to do them either

YorkshireLawyer Thu 04-Apr-19 06:02:28

Thanks bear that sounds like exactly the sort of thing I’d be after, I’ll take a look. Just a quick 5k for me yesterday and won’t be running today as I do a circuits class instead on a Thursday.

IRun4Me Sun 07-Apr-19 12:05:49

Have managed to get out for 4 short runs this week (my target for April is 4x a week). My energy levels are so low but have definitely felt better for the running.

Daisydoesnt Sun 07-Apr-19 14:08:32

Still no running for me (apparently I am being unbearable at home, but I promise not to moan on here!) My back was a lot better after physio & sports massage on Weds/ Thursday, but then on Saturday I came down with a chest infection. And coughing seems to have stirred up the back pain again. Excellent!

In the mean time I am planning races (5-10km) for May/ June/ July and looking forward to pulling back on the shoes somewhen in the next week or two!!

IRun4Me Sun 07-Apr-19 16:56:29

Oh Daisy please feel free to moan away. I think most of us have been in similar positions and feel your pain. Hopefully you’ll be back out running soon.

BusterTheBulldog Mon 08-Apr-19 10:41:06

I lost you all!!

So after having pretty much the whole of March off (5 weeks no running in total!) I’m back in a fashion.

Managed 26 miles last week, 15 of which were yesterday. No idea what this means in terms of making London, or if even sensible too. A week ago I’d assumed I wouldn’t be doing it and cancelled hotel, but now I’m a bit more 50/50...

Also got a stinking cough / cold (again hmm) hoping when that passes I may feel a teeney bit like my old self too...

emummy Tue 09-Apr-19 10:10:10

Lovely run in the forest in sunshine this morning. Took some more time off running last week as my foot was quite sore. Now doing exercises and stretches for it so we'll see.
Daisy that's so frustrating! Moan away on here, we understand.
Glad you're back running Buster; if you do London where will you stay?!

BusterTheBulldog Tue 09-Apr-19 11:46:17

The original hotel was not the best anyway to be honest! Have got a premier inn with free cancellation nearer the start, twice the price though! We will see..... confused

emummy Tue 09-Apr-19 14:18:30

I stayed in the Hilton at Paddington station; perfect for me landing at Heathrow, into the train then across the platform into the hotel. No chance to get lost! Your Premier in sounds good, sorry about the price!

Daisydoesnt Tue 09-Apr-19 18:55:38

Honestly you won't want me, I'm now full of cough & cold and I'm feeling vile!!! Back a little better, just had another treatment this evening but still haven't run.

Buster I'm keeping everything crossed for you that you get to that start line.

BusterTheBulldog Wed 10-Apr-19 10:04:27

Thank you daisydoesnt, I’ve also got that horrid cough and cold, it’s rubbish!

I didn’t realise you’d ran London emummy! How did you find it?

6 slow miles last night

beguilingeyes Wed 10-Apr-19 10:09:58

Hi all,

I'm fairly new to running, did Couch to 5k last year and am sort of consolidating, three runs a week of about 5k . I'm 57 and very slow, but I have a question.

My calves really ache, during and after running. Is there anything I can do to help this? Any exercise? Am I doing something wrong?

BusterTheBulldog Wed 10-Apr-19 10:33:02

Hi beguilingeyes smile
Do you stretch? Standard calf stretches are good. Also sat down with feet out in front of you and using a resistance band or towel around ball of foot to pull back towards you.

I also do calf raises, start with both feet, so stood up, and just lifting your heels off the floor for 5-8 seconds repeating 10 times, three times a day. You can then Progress to single leg ones and then eventually, doing off a step or similar and dropping your heels below the step level. It’s fine to lightly hold on to something for balance.

It may also be worth seeing a physio if they are not improving.

emummy Wed 10-Apr-19 10:55:02

Welcome beguilingeyes! I agree about stretches and calf raises. The physio told me I had weak calf muscles and the raises have really helped.
Buster London was my first marathon and I loved it! Great atmosphere, amazing crowds, just a wonderful experience. Had the usual feeling of wanting to stop at 18 miles, but The RunMummyRun cheer squad at mile 19 picked me up and after that was fine. I hope you make it, although I guess you can defer.
Boot camp in the sun for me this morning. We had frost and -1 to start but much warmer now.

emummy Thu 11-Apr-19 10:46:21

Hilly run in a different forest today, good fun and saw a deer.

BusterTheBulldog Fri 12-Apr-19 15:18:37

Thanks emummy is it pretty flat? I’ve looked at the elevation but find sometimes it ‘feels’ different when you’re out there.

Steady 6 from me last night, wanted to quit at mile one, but ended up being quite a good run.

emummy Fri 12-Apr-19 16:08:04

It is fairly flat Busyer; the main hills I remember are one going up a flyover type thing and a couple of tunnels that are uphill coming out. They are short & not very steep but felt steep at the time! There is one near the end, on the Embankment I think, but the wall of noise that greets you when you come out of the tunnel totally carries you along.

BusterTheBulldog Sat 13-Apr-19 20:54:45

That’s good to know, thank you!

Easy 3 from me, too lazy for park run.

OhYouBadBadKitten Sat 13-Apr-19 21:03:38

You'd all fallen off my radar.
I had my first pain free runs this week since January. I had a good rest after my HM and that seemed to do the trick. I can't believe how unfit and slow I am even though I did have a bit of a bug.

Next race is a 10 k next month if I'm up to it, I won't get a chance to run this week.

emummy Sun 14-Apr-19 10:03:43

Pain free sounds good kitten, hope that continues.
Easy run this morning, ran part of our parkrun course and spotted a sign we forgot to take home! I'll get it later, I didn't think I could run 4 miles carrying a 'caution runners ' sign!

IRun4Me Sun 14-Apr-19 12:16:55

Hello all. Been a bit quiet on the running front - I think mainly due to the holidays. I am starting to feel my energy coming back and managed a comfortable 5 today.
I hope you manage to make London Buster.
You will soon build back up to where you were Badkitten It must feel nice to be back out there.
You should have tied it round your waist emummy grin

Whoopstheregomyinsides Mon 15-Apr-19 21:32:45

May I join you? I’m 44 and did a half last year and then...not a lot. Started back up as I’ve stupidly signed up for a charity one may 19th. Got up to 8.2 miles Friday but it’s been oh so hard and slow? Oh my goodness. So so slow. I’d be tempted to drop out if I hadn’t a charity place. Can anyone talk me round and tell me I can do it? 4 weeks left. I’d beenaiming for 11 miles then wing the last couple. But I’m knackered. Only did 5k tonight and nothing in tank by end but recovered fast. All encouragement would be welcome

emummy Tue 16-Apr-19 11:18:07

Tempo run today, first seed work for 2 weeks so a bit tough!
Welcome Whoops! 8 miles is great, I would say try and get to at least 10, you've got plenty of time. If it's feeling hard, a few things to check would be your nutrition, hydration and whether you might need some fuel while running. When you did your half last year did you use gels or anything like that? Taking something from about 5 miles onwards might give you more energy. You can definitely do it! You could also look at doing a run walk strategy, many people find they can do that faster than purely running. Good luck!
Yes IRun, I would have looked brilliant with a 2 foot wide bright yellow sign hanging off me! I have collected it since, took the car though!

Luaa Tue 16-Apr-19 20:30:06

Hi everyone. I've had a very off on relationship with running for years. I want to be good at it and enjoy it, but I'm just not very good at it.

I've recently started running again and I'm very very slow. I don't know if I should work on increasing my speed or distance first, any advice?

When I have tried to go a bit faster, I tend to give up, so recently I have decided to do slow but keep running, but I don't know if I should push through with the faster running?

Daisydoesnt Tue 16-Apr-19 21:28:22

hello everyone and welcome Whoops and Luaa.

Whoops as far as I can see you still have 2 long runs and then 2 weeks taper till your Half, so why don't aim to just build up over those two long runs to 10 miles (say aim for 9miles this Sunday and 10miles the next?) If you manage to get to 10miles that only leaves an extra 3 to go on the day, which is a ParkRun, and everyone can jog round a Parkrun (yes that's the sort of nonsense I fool myself with out running grin

emummy and others on here are far, FAR more experienced than me but the other thing I would add is that make sure you are getting plenty of rest in between your workouts, so that your body can recover.

Luaa I found (and again, there are others on here far more knowledgeable than me) that the best way to improve your speed is to first improve your stamina. You want to be in the position when you are running that you know you can do the distance comfortably, it's just the clock you are running against. So for instance if the distance you want to get "good" at is 5km, I personally would be building my weekly long run up to 10km over a period of time, so that the 5km distance is well within yourself. Also build different sorts of workouts into your weekly programme - a long run, perhaps a hill session, and a shorter, faster run. Your body definitely responds best when you challenge it in different ways.

So much for the theory! My back is better 3 and a bit weeks later, but I've still got a nasty chest infection and have just started on antibiotics. Not sure when I will be running again but i hope its SOON!

Whoopstheregomyinsides Tue 16-Apr-19 21:58:09

Aw thank you for having me.
I’ve been dabbling with low carb hoping to lose weight and be lighter and therefore faster but maybe playing with fire, with 4 weeks to go. I’ll do 9 Sunday and 10 next week and see how I go. Not going to beat records but I’ve done it before and can again right?! Breathe...

Whoopstheregomyinsides Tue 16-Apr-19 21:59:10

And get well soon Daisy

AuntieBulgaria Tue 16-Apr-19 22:19:55

Hello!
I'd love to join you on the thread. I started running with the Jeff Galloway run walk run approach in January 2018 and have just signed up for my first ever half marathon - Bedford - in September.

I have lots and lots to work on. I'm reasonably comfortable 'Jeffing' up to 10K but have only done three or four runs longer than that, with one 16k/10m one that suddenly tipped me over into thinking a half was a possibility rather than a ridiculous idea.

My technique and overall core fitness is a bit crap though - I'm coming back from several weeks off before Xmas with runner's knee, for which the sports physio holds my lazy arse muscles responsible.

So my challenges are to do my knee strengthening exercises, to do proper warm up and stretch down after runs and to find a plan with some tempo stuff to build up my overall store of running experience over the spring and summer.

Looking forward to training with you all. Xx

Luaa Wed 17-Apr-19 02:11:03

Thank you Daisy that was kind of what I'd thought, but wasnt sure if it was right or not. 5k is the distance I'd like to run most often and improve my speed at, bit I do have a personal goal to run 10k by mid June too, so your plan would help me with both 😁

thenewaveragebear1983 Wed 17-Apr-19 11:04:56

My half marathon bib arrived today, and brought with it a feeling of impending doom....

BusterTheBulldog Wed 17-Apr-19 14:40:42

Hello all new people! smile

I’m doing Bedford too Auntie, looks like a fun one. I’m can’t stress enough how important it is to engage your glutes / quads more if you know they are lazy. I’ve been injured since Dec with the same issue, although I’m on my way back, it’s been a slow and painful journey! If you can incorporate strength work as well as stretching it’ll really help you smile

17 miles on sun, 7.5 at club run last night and 4 from intervals today. First attempt at intervals since bad injury, found it pretty tough today!

AuntieBulgaria Wed 17-Apr-19 14:58:17

Thanks Buster - I was attracted by the 'no cut off time'! My aim is for somewhere in the 2.15-2.30 bracket but I want to cover the distance and enjoy the experience rather than going out too hard and then regretting it! (Other than parkrun I've only done 2 'races'.)

Have you done the event before? It sounds like you've a lot of experience.

AuntieBulgaria Wed 17-Apr-19 14:59:48

Thenewaveragebear - which event are you doing? Is it a first half for you?

thenewaveragebear1983 Wed 17-Apr-19 15:40:00

Auntie I'm doing Stratford upon Avon, it's on 28th April. It's my first one, and my 2nd ever race (I did a 15km in February)

TriSkiRun99 Thu 18-Apr-19 08:22:02

Good luck bear don’t get the fear, your be fine you have done lots of training, enjoy the atmosphere.

I’ve managed to get out on a couple of runs this week but it’s harder in school hols finding time without kids when I’m not working. Going to try do a longer run Friday but equally I really need to get out on my bike as I have a Tri in 4wks time and I have serious fear for that as I’ve not been out at all on my bike and done zero “brick” sessions where I’ve cycled then gone for a run straight after so I may have to use my Friday morn to get that ticked off and then make a decision if I pull out the Tri.

BusterTheBulldog Thu 18-Apr-19 09:53:41

I haven’t done it before auntiebulgaria I haven’t done too much racing either, the only running races I’ve entered have been in the past 12 months. I am in a running club though which really helps with knowing what’s on and where!

3 miles from me early this morning, it should have been 5, but I remembered just how much I hate first thing in the morning runs! confused

emummy Thu 18-Apr-19 11:46:39

Lovely sunny run today, very hilly though! There's a new 10k in my town in June that I've signed up for so I ran part of the route today, including a very long hill. I did over 500 feet of climbing in 5 miles. The biggest hill is tough, think I will need a lot of practice on that!
Welcome new people! Luaa I would also get used to a distance first before trying to speed up. It is good to feel confident that you can run, say 5k, and then start doing bits of speed work to get faster. Although of course it's up to you if going faster is a goal, the lovely thing about running is that you can do it in the way that you enjoy.
Good luck with your training Auntie, good to see stretching and strengthening exercises in the plan! I really think that doing regular core and strength exercises at home have made a big difference to my stamina and reduced injury.

Kedgeree Thu 18-Apr-19 11:53:53

Morning all, beautiful day for a run but I'm resting today. Did a quick (for me!) 5k on Monday and will do my long run (18k) tomorrow. It'll make a nice change to run in the sun, and hopefully feel like July which is when I'm doing my half grin.

AuntieBulgaria Thu 18-Apr-19 13:52:35

Emummy - wow that's a lot of elevation. I run around Cambridge, the most uphill I get is running over cycle bridges.

I went out with a running group last night for the first time. Because I 'Jeff' (run walk run) I've always thought I'd not fit in well but I took a jeffing friend with me and by the end there were at least two other women thinking about giving it a try. And we weren't far behind the main pack either.

So that was a sunny 6 miles.

137.6 + 6 = 143.6

emummy Thu 18-Apr-19 16:09:03

I have only 2 flat routes near me, this part of Aberdeenshire is distinctly hilly! I suppose it's good for me really....

Whoopstheregomyinsides Thu 18-Apr-19 21:41:22

I did 4.6 miles last night. I low carbed yesterday and it was hard until I took a gel and I hated the first 4 miles then suddenly 15 minutes after gel my legs were flying. Weird. But left me feeling a bit more positive I can do my weekend long run and be ready for my half in 4 weeks. Have tentatively eaten carbs today too. Felt naughty !

emummy Fri 19-Apr-19 08:28:27

I heard on a podcast that low carb is different for different people, so some people need a slightly higher amount while others can go really low so may be it's about finding the level that works for you, sticking there fore a while and then going a bit lower if you want to?

IRun4Me Fri 19-Apr-19 08:30:33

Hello and welcome to all the new people smile
AuntieBulgaria you are near my neck of the woods - and yes isn’t it very flat!!
Good luck to all those with races coming up. Buster have you made a final decision about London yet?
No running for me this week as we have been away but have been doing lots of walking so not been lazy grin Planning on getting out on a couple of runs this weekend and hopefully back in to normal routine next week.

TriSkiRun99 Fri 19-Apr-19 11:04:15

Cycled 20k then straight into5k run this morning, my first Tri training session and my stamina was fine just nursing a pins n needles foot -after riding. This made my run slow but I was really pleased that after no time on the bike outside my run fitness crossed over easily on a hilly bike route. Beautiful day for it, may go sea swim later to end the day.
Hope you all have sunny Easter adventures too smile

AuntieBulgaria Fri 19-Apr-19 13:59:28

Good luck Bear - it sounds like a nice place to run. If you've not done it before it can definitely be your best one so far!

Irun4me - I ran a 10K in Peterborough a few weeks ago, they sneaked a small unexpected hill in to that; it wasn't the going up that was the issue so much as a going down again that I found hard work oddly.

As it was such a lovely morning and we'd nothing planned I had a go at jeffing the whole half marathon distance. Just to reassure myself that it's not an impossibility now I've paid my entry fee.

I tried a gel for the first time which I didn't enjoy but did seem to help between 12k and 15k. I didn't carry any water with me as I'm not keen on being encumbered but I might have to think about the options there.

I've found some new places that chafe and have a blister at the end of my freaky long toe but was very pleased with my 2:17 time.

Kedgeree Fri 19-Apr-19 18:30:46

Horrific hilly run today, only mitigated by beautiful weather and scenery. I went on a new route recommended by a friend who's doing London next week. I'm not doing the new route again. Woe. 12 miles, 2 hours.

Whoopstheregomyinsides Fri 19-Apr-19 19:42:52

That’s a great time Auntie
I’d love to be as quick. I was supposed to long ru tonight but I’m too tired. Drove 100 miles and walked 6 and good for nothing now

emummy Sat 20-Apr-19 10:44:06

Hill reps this morning in toasty warm sunshine. Glad I took my water with me; I left it at the bottom of the hill and at one point was pouring it over my head! I managed 15 which I'm super chuffed about, I've only managed 10 on that hill before. No very badly in need of a shower!

173.6 including my miles plus Kedgeree and Auntie

IRun4Me Sat 20-Apr-19 11:12:45

Well done everyone on all the achievements.
Lovely run this morning, went before it got too warm. Did just under 4 miles but did it in quite a fast time. I think it is because I didn’t have to keep stopping for the dog!!

Whoopstheregomyinsides Sat 20-Apr-19 18:24:53

9 miles done. Carbs were back in the menu and I’m so very relieved to have managed it. Was so hot and sweaty and slow. But done

Whoopstheregomyinsides Sat 20-Apr-19 18:25:06

AuntieBulgaria Sat 20-Apr-19 20:31:23

Well done Whoops - the feeling of having done it is nearly almost definitely worth the feeling of doing it!

OhYouBadBadKitten Sat 20-Apr-19 20:52:07

Well done everyone!

Can definitely recommend bodyglide for chafing issues. A lot less sticky than vaseline.

No runs this week until today but I've been very active. I discovered this evening that eating jam tarts just before a run leads to digestive issues. Oops! It was a bit of a shock to be running in the heat.

emummy Sun 21-Apr-19 09:54:40

Slow & steady run in the sun this morning, legs definitely feeling the effect of the hill repeats yesterday! Now for chocolate! Happy Easter everyone!

Whoopstheregomyinsides Mon 22-Apr-19 13:45:51

Very slow run with birthday boy DS1 on his new bike - stop start but 3.8 miles
Really warm

AuntieBulgaria Mon 22-Apr-19 22:41:57

OYBBK - the bodyglide is on order! As is a new runderwear bra.

Joined in with another local running group today for a 5k. Not too achey after the long run on Friday but it did feel a bit like hard work. Will stick to shorter runs this week I think.

Good running week to you all.

emummy Tue 23-Apr-19 11:11:09

I love Runderwear - haven't tried the bra but the pants are great!
Tempo run in the sun today, cooler than last few days but way warmer than the forecast - I think the BBC weather forecasters just make it up!

OhYouBadBadKitten Tue 23-Apr-19 17:20:39

I hope it helps Auntie.

A really quick (for me) 3.5 miles with an attempted quarter mile sprinty thing at the end cos I was getting bored.

I had to go to the chemist to drop off a prescription, so I did that on my route. Arrived hot and panting and was quite alarmed to discover that they did for once have some of what I needed in stock. Declined taking it with me and I'll pick it up tomorrow with my rucksack instead.

OhYouBadBadKitten Tue 23-Apr-19 17:21:00

oops. 207.9

Whoopstheregomyinsides Tue 23-Apr-19 22:00:44

3.5 really sluggish horrid miles but with a friend so nice to see her
211.4? Forgotten last number!

IRun4Me Wed 24-Apr-19 07:33:38

Have managed to get out twice so far this week. Trying to fit in shorter runs more often at the moment.

onanothertrain Wed 24-Apr-19 08:21:57

Can anyone recommend a good sports bra? I have a couple if shock absorber ones but arthritis makes them difficult to get on. Has anyone tried a front zip one?

BusterTheBulldog Wed 24-Apr-19 16:00:18

Yes I have irun4me, I’m deferring. I’m still running with pain, and mentally I’m just not in the right place now. Physio thinks I could run / walk it round but may cause more damage that could take months to fix. I also think if I’m likely only doing London once, I want to do it well (for me!) and enjoy it. I’m pretty gutted about it all sad

I do feel a bit of a fraud though as I’ve missed about 350 miles of training, so feel like I’ve missed out on the training / fun planning of the whole thing too. Going to go and cheer on sun and hope It inspires me for next year!

14 since last post.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: