Talk

Advanced search

Is running enough?

(20 Posts)
SunnyNights Sun 24-Mar-19 19:36:25

I run for thirty minutes (little over three miles) three times a week. I started regularly again in January after a long break last year due to repeated bursitis - which is now gone thankfully.

Most days it's easy-ish, some days it's a struggle but I always do at least thirty minutes of running.

But, now to my actual question! Is this enough to be fit and healthy? Should I be doing other workouts? I don't want to really but worried I'm not pushing myself enough....

I am trying to lose weight too, have so far gone from 12:10 to 11:12 but want to lose another stone really.

curtaintrail Sun 24-Mar-19 19:42:52

I plan on doing this too now the nights are lighter. We're supposed to be building muscle by lifting weights too I think ... something to do with a faster metabolic rate if you have more muscle

RoseAndRose Sun 24-Mar-19 19:43:49

I think NHS advised 150 active minutes a week.

Your running sounds great, perhaps you could add a flexibility/weights/resistance sort of workout to complement it and bring your time up to the recommended level?

Cuddlysnowleopard Sun 24-Mar-19 19:47:08

You are best doing some form of weights as well. I try and do a mix - maybe two cardio (running), and three weight training per week. This is recommended as you get older, for muscle, bone density etc.

I'm definitely fitter and more toned using weights as well.

MrsJamin Sun 24-Mar-19 19:52:23

Yes I was going to suggest weight training especially for women as we age. I do kettle bells 3 times a week for 25 mins and the difference its made is amazing. I was doing a good amount of cardio but feel very different now I do weights in terms of my figure (weight has stayed the same but my waist has shrunk). Running and weights is a good combo and specific exercises in the gym will help you run better and be less prone to injuries from running too.

SunnyNights Sun 24-Mar-19 19:59:21

Thanks for the replies, it is as I feared, that I really need to include some strength training as well!

I knew it deep down, but was kidding myself that running was enough grin

I've heard great things about kettlebells, and my arms need a serious amount of toning so this sounds just the thing.

So would two sessions of running and two of strength training be enough?

Cuddlysnowleopard Sun 24-Mar-19 20:03:46

Just to warn you, I find the weights quite addictive grin

sleepwhenidie Sun 24-Mar-19 20:06:25

Just to add to the weights recommendation...a couple of sessions of yoga to stretch everything out again and help prevent injuries smile

Cuddlysnowleopard Sun 24-Mar-19 20:24:58

Yes, yoga is great. My weekly routine is currently 2 X cardio, 3 X weights, 4 X 15 mins yoga session. Nothing more than 30 mins. I feel fitter and look better than I've ever done (and I'm mid 40's).

SunnyNights Sun 24-Mar-19 20:26:44

No more than thirty minutes sounds ideal!

I've just found a fitness blender upper body workout which doesn't need equipment so might give that a go tomorrow morning...

TriSkiRun99 Sun 24-Mar-19 21:49:30

Easy to do twenty minutes body weight strength exercises made up of squats, lunges, arm curls, plank and arm lifts - it’s in Joe Wickes 15min meals book - knackers me and I run 20-30k a week but the strength stuff is really good plus I swim to x-train. I downloaded a free IntervalTimer app which pings at me every 30-45secs depending on what I’m doing. So 20 squats is 40secs, plus 20secs rest, then 35secs plank etc only takes 20min total with cool down stretches. Free do it home, I use Argos 3kg weights but you could easily use tins or water bottles to lift.

SunnyNights Mon 25-Mar-19 07:32:52

Thanks for this; will look up the Joe Wicks routine too smile

AuntieStella Mon 25-Mar-19 07:38:33

I run a minimum of 3 times a week (often more)

I complement it with Pilates and/or a resistance band class.

tiredandgrumpy Mon 25-Mar-19 07:49:07

Definitely do some sort of weights/core/flexibility training. I say this as someone who used to just run 3 times a week. Then I messed up my achilles. Took ages to recover. Now I mix it up. Pilates/barre training is great to support running.

SunnyNights Mon 25-Mar-19 08:34:47

That's a good point, it was horrible when I had bursitis last year, and because I had only been running I was at a loss what to do instead.

Did try swimming but didn't like it at all!

timeisnotaline Mon 25-Mar-19 09:15:27

2 x weights and 2 x running will be enough. Or 1x weights and 3 x runbing / 2 x running and another aerobic eg boxercise.

However also for the runs you should be mixing it up a little - either do some fartlec type things (1 min push it, 30 sec recovery, 2 min pushing it , 40 sec recoveey ... ) there might be an app for it- or easier , pick a couple of sections and push yourself for those. Make them at least 3 mins long. If you make sure there is at least one faster section each run you will find you get faster generally - even if not aiming for faster it’s more muscle use and feels great.

thenewaveragebear1983 Mon 25-Mar-19 09:22:06

I found once I did a strength session and bootcamp my running improved too because I wasn't so prone to knee/ankle pain. I like the variety of the different workouts. There are some really fun ones on YouTube if you like doing them at home.

SunnyNights Mon 25-Mar-19 14:46:01

I never even considered doing bursts of faster running, I've just been plodding along.

I might start that this week, I know deep down I could push myself more than I am. My inclination is always laziness though! blush

timeisnotaline Mon 25-Mar-19 15:28:35

That’s why you start with short bursts grin. But if you are running 3 x a week you will find quickly that the faster will feel good and that your legs want to speed up on their own and that’s where the endorphins hit.

shitpark Mon 25-Mar-19 19:08:18

I run 4 times a week and weight train 4 times a week. I basically do around 20 minutes of weights and then run 5 - 10k. This works well for me. Even after a three week break due to illness , I slipped back into it very easily, probably due to muscle strength.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: