Talk

Advanced search

Please help! 10K in 6 weeks and clueless!

(9 Posts)
LittleMissPlump Sun 17-Mar-19 18:45:42

I’ve signed up to run the Bristol 10K in May but I’m panicking because I feel completely out of my depth and I cant find a training plan online that fits in with my current running ability, (which isn’t great!!) I can run about 5k but have to stop after about 3k for a bit to get my breath back. I could manage about 3 runs a week but am unsure how I should be increasing my distance,pace and the length of time that I can run without stopping! Any help greatly appreciated!!! grin

emummy Sun 17-Mar-19 19:37:03

There are apps to get you up to 10k, following on from couch to 5k, so you could have a look for those. Otherwise the general principal is just to increase the distance you go by a little each week. It doesn't matter if you need to walk; in fact you might find it best to plan a walk-run strategy, where you run eg for 10 minutes, then walk for 2 and so on. If you can run 3 times a week make one run your long run where you add a bit of distance each week, and do that at an easy pace. If you can, make one of the other runs an interval run, where you run quite fast for maybe 2 minutes, then walk/jog for 2 minutes to recover and repeat that 4 or 5 times. Speed work like this is really helpful. But really you just want to aim to get up to close to 10k before your race and cover the sitance. Don't worry too much about speed and try to enjoy the running. Good luck!

AuntieStella Sun 17-Mar-19 20:13:50

I agree with emummy

And wouid be going for a race plan that is likely to be well within your current level

Run 4k steady, walk 1k, run 3k easy, walk 1k, run last 1k with everything you've got left

cestlavielife Sun 17-Mar-19 20:38:12

The Sami Murphy b to 10 k podcasts series is a five week programme podcasts with music
You can find a link via the healthunlocked forum search Sami Murphy b to 10k samantha murphy bto10k

Or bluefin
itunes.apple.com/ca/podcast/bridge-to-10k-free-podcast/id586957184?mt=2.

LittleMissPlump Sun 17-Mar-19 21:01:12

Thank you so much emummy and AuntieStella for taking the time to post, I will definitely check out the apps available- I did use one before when I was new to running and it really helped. I also hadn’t considered planning walking segments into the actual race but it makes total sense! Thanks again!

cestlavielife Sun 17-Mar-19 21:06:50

The Sami m series has walking breaks built in . I like it. Starts with 10 mins run / one min walk x 4 and builds up to 3 x 15 17 18 etc until 2 x 30 all with walk breaks. (But i will be looking at aiming for 1 hour 30 when I do 10k end may ..... not speedy here.

evilharpy Sun 17-Mar-19 22:31:01

If you need to get your breath back after 3k it's probably because you need to slow down. Pick one run a week and make it a bit longer every week to increase your distance. Make it slow slow slow. You should be able to chat to a friend the whole time.

I have a 10k in two weeks that I'm really not trained for. I'll cover the distance but my time will be poo grin

Sammysquiz Mon 18-Mar-19 09:23:48

I do the Bristol 10km every year and lots of people walk parts of it, so don’t feel you have to run the lot if you’re not able to. It’s also very flat which makes things easier!

Richlyfruited Sun 24-Mar-19 11:18:43

I'm doing the Bristol 10k too for the first time this year. A group of us did couch to 5k last year, loved it and kept on running!

Each week we're increasing the distance and adding in hills (Bristol will be flat but hills are amazing training!). I'm regularly now running 8-9k but as suggested above going back to doing some intervals has really helped with stamina and fitness levels.

The best advice we've had for the day will be to pace yourself at the start despite what everyone around you is doing!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: