Talk

Advanced search

What and when to eat prior to exercise.

(7 Posts)
Satina Thu 14-Mar-19 19:35:48

I'm overweight and unfit.

I've recently lost 17lbs, which has taken me out of the 'obese' BMI category, through a low calorie diet.

I've now started using the gym. I ate a bar (I replace some of my meals with products from Exante as they're quick and easy) just before going to the gym, as I thought it would help with energy. Unfortunately, I ended up feeling sick.

What foods are good to eat pre-hard-workout that will give me optimum energy, but not make me feel sick and when's best to eat them?

Any advice from more experienced exercisers is much appreciated.

lljkk Thu 14-Mar-19 19:59:40

You probably have to experiment to find out what works for you (sorry).

Ideally I swim or run as empty as possible. Ideally at least 2 hours since eating anything.
In reality, I often have a small snack less than an hour before without trouble (I guess small = < 200 kcal on an otherwise empty stomach). Many people would say the ideal snack is high protein & low fibre/fat.

Cycling I could do after any amount of food except not a big meal (so I guess still < 100 kcal).

lljkk Thu 14-Mar-19 19:59:51

< 1000 kcal...

shitpark Thu 14-Mar-19 20:48:13

I find it better to eat after I run/gym. Eating before always makes me feel sick.
It is actually unlikely that you need to eat before working out, far better to eat a sensible meal after wards, much better than a bar.

shitpark Thu 14-Mar-19 20:48:45

And huge congratulations on the weight loss by the way

SmarmyMrMime Thu 14-Mar-19 23:17:03

Banana, at least half an hour before, an hour is even better.

Being well hydrated first is important too.

Satina Fri 15-Mar-19 06:49:04

Thanks all.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: