Talk

Advanced search

Would you do 10K race if hadn't run for a month?

(7 Posts)
Anjelika Mon 11-Mar-19 21:06:11

I've been running for over 5 years. Usually run 2-3 times a week - park run and a longer run of between 7 and 9 k. Got struck down with flu a few weeks ago and haven't run for 3 weeks now. 10K race is next weekend. Might be able to fit in a 5k this week but might not. Would you run it after a 4 week break?

Politicalacuityisathing Mon 11-Mar-19 21:11:07

Yes. One 5k 2 or 3 days before would be fine before 10k. But I'm not fussed about times so depends how competitive you are.

Surfskatefamily Mon 11-Mar-19 21:18:25

I would do it..probably be a bit stiff a day afterwards but would cope

BusterTheBulldog Mon 11-Mar-19 21:20:02

Yes! Just have a gentle jog at some point, don’t worry about distance just turn your legs for 20mins, you’ll be fine, better than fine! grin

Anjelika Mon 11-Mar-19 22:34:01

Thanks everyone. I'm disappointed I won't be able to do a good time but I'm sure I'll get round.

SmarmyMrMime Mon 11-Mar-19 23:53:19

Yes, but I wouldn't aim to set myself up for a particular time.

You have a good long term fitness base, and that takes a long time to fade.

Some shorter gentle runs before should help remind the muscles what they need to do, but you may get a pleasant surprise from being well rested.

OccasionallyIncomplet Tue 12-Mar-19 00:47:39

Yes - but take it easy. If you previous could run 7-9k then stretching to 10k isn't too much of a challenge. You might be a little stiff the next day however.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »