Talk

Advanced search

Heart rate keeps dropping when I'm exercising

(16 Posts)
butterfly359 Thu 07-Mar-19 14:41:12

Hello,
I am wondering if anyone has had any experience with a low heart rate while exercising?
I have a cardio app on my smart watch and the past few days it's been showing my heart rate dropping to between 50-40 bpm while I'm doing a high cardio workout.
My heart rate while resting is usually 50-40 but not while I'm working out. I have an appointment with the nurse tomorrow to get my blood pressure checked. But just wondering if anyone else has experienced this.
T.I.A x

CountessVonBoobs Thu 07-Mar-19 14:49:53

Are you sure the tracker is tracking accurately? If you were having sharp drops in HR while working out, I'd expect you to be feeling very dizzy and ill and struggling to continue. Are you?

IstillmissWoolworths Thu 07-Mar-19 14:58:25

My dad kept thinking his heart rate was very low but felt fine. Mentioned it to the Dr when he was there about something else. There are some heart conditions that can cause a low heart rate, he was diagnosed with one of them and ended up having a pace maker fitted. He was in his 70s though. I'd definitely mention it to the nurse.

WizzyBee Thu 07-Mar-19 14:59:17

Could you not put your fingers on your wrist and get a quick estimate of what your HR is?
Sounds like it's the monitor not picking up properly.

Maybe I'm old fashioned but if I had a monitor giving a wildly improbable reading I'd immediately think the tech was at fault rather than rushing to the overstretched NHS for reassurance!

SeaToSki Thu 07-Mar-19 15:15:56

Check your you heart rate yourself in case the tracker isnt accurate. If you are getting drops when exercising, you need an urgent doctors appointment for a ECG and cardiac consult. Your could be developing heart block and that can be fatal if untreated. Treatment is installing a pacemaker and then you resume normal life.

butterfly359 Thu 07-Mar-19 15:57:11

Hi thank you all for your replies,
I have fainted once in the past while exercising and felt light headed a couple of times, (I stoped exercising when they happened) but I just put that down to the exercise as I was pushing my self at the time.

I've been wearing the watch since Xmas and the dropping heart rate has only been happening this week.
I'm hoping it's just a glitch with the app on the watch. X

SeaToSki Thu 07-Mar-19 22:16:31

If you have fainted or feel dizzy you need to get to the doctor urgently. Please don't mess around with this.

lljkk Fri 08-Mar-19 07:33:20

Totally it's a glitch on watch (I bet).
Measure your pulse by hand instead. You can do that this morning.

AuntieStella Fri 08-Mar-19 07:44:26

Yes, check pulse manually during exercise.

The condition PP mentioned is called heart block and is potentially serious.

I have a low resting heart rate, but it goes up whilst I exercise and I do not feel faint/breathless during exercise I am happy with my running performance. So I don't think I have it. But a resting HR <50 in someone who does not exercise a lot can be a cause for concern.

butterfly359 Fri 08-Mar-19 12:55:02

Thank you all for your replies
I'm a very active person and exercise 5-6 times a week, 4 of those being HIT training, so my resting heart rate being <50 is fine,

I've been to see the nurse who took my bloody pressure and it was 170/42 😞 I'm seeing the Dr on Wednesday (the earliest appointment they had).
I wish it was a glitch with the watch x

SeaToSki Fri 08-Mar-19 21:46:04

In the meantime, if it drops and / or you are dizzy then go straight to a and e

SeaToSki Fri 08-Mar-19 21:47:03

Sorry meant to say drops below 40bpm, and even that is pushing it a lot.

emummy Sat 09-Mar-19 06:19:43

Sorry your blood pressure was high, it may be just a one off though, so fingers crossed. My watch was reading 50 yesterday but taking my pulse manually after doing burpees it was way over that, so perhaps check it manually as well. The doctor can arrange an ECG for you if it is indee dropping. Perhaps don't exercise anywhere alone until you've been seen, and good luck.

butterfly359 Thu 21-Mar-19 06:49:29

Thanks for your replies,
The Dr is sending me for a chest X-ray, bloods and a 24hour ECG. She said my heart is health, but there is an underlying problem somewhere, will know more when the tests results come back x

emummy Thu 21-Mar-19 07:33:10

I hope you get it sorted soon and that it's not a serious problem. Good luck.

SeaToSki Fri 22-Mar-19 16:15:23

Thanks for the update. When you do the 24 hour monitor, make sure you take some exercise while it is on. Also dont use any moisturizer on your torso for 24 hours before they place it as it reduces the efficiency of the contact.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »