Talk

Advanced search

First 10K

(8 Posts)
Lou0390 Mon 04-Mar-19 12:47:48

Hi everyone need some advice please. Got my first 10K in less then 2 weeks and I'm unsure if I should pull out. Basically me and the whole family have been suffering with the dreaded cold virus. Think I'm over the worst but still no energy confused. Prior to this I was following my running programme and managing to run 5k about 2 to 3 times a week. Do you think I can realistically do it or should I leave it. Thank you

AuntieStella Mon 04-Mar-19 19:54:40

What sort of event is it?

If it's one of the big ones, which attract lots of charity runners and walkers, then I think it might still be worth giving it a go. Aim to run/walk, and you might surprise yourself pleasantly.

Also read up on The Taper, and at least pretend you're preparing like an elite athlete!

Lou0390 Mon 04-Mar-19 20:47:27

Thank you. It's a fairly big event and the course is challenging. I was really hoping to run it all but I might have to be realistic and include some walk/run bits. Going for a run tomorrow to see how I feel confused

AuntieStella Wed 06-Mar-19 00:42:50

How did it go today?

This article made me think of you - also includes a 4-day 'emergency plan' grin

www.runnersworld.com/uk/training/a760084/the-perfect-10k/?__s=wqsiyfnwocywfqj5wnmi

Lou0390 Thu 07-Mar-19 08:40:17

Thank you for the article will check it out. Well the run didn't happen as I'm back on the antibiotics. I might try at the weekend but I feel the odds are stacked against me sad

FATEdestiny Thu 07-Mar-19 11:25:05

Run / walk is much better than pulling out.

After my phnemonia a couple of weeks ago my fitness significantly dropped. But I decided to still do the normal distances I run (I do 10km every day), just to allow much more time and walk as much as I needed to.

So my progress went along the lines of:

● Walk 3k > Run 1k > Walk 3k > Run 1k > Walk 2k
● W 2k > R 1k > W 2k > R 1k > W 2k > R 1k > W 1k
● W 1k > R 1k > W 1k > R 1k > W 1k > R 1k.. and so on
● R 2k > W 1k > R 2k > W 1k > R 3k
● R 4k > W 1k > R 2k > W 1k > R 2k
● R 5k > W 1k > R 4k
● R 5k > W 0.5k > R 4.5k
● R 6k > W 0.5k > R 3.5k
... and so on

My point being that you can do any of these options, whichever your fitness allows, and still finish the 10km and get your medal.

Lou0390 Mon 11-Mar-19 17:33:49

Thank you everyone who replied unfortunately I have had to admit defeat, I have perforated ear drum and struggling to walk up the stairs straight sad.
I have entered another race for two months time and feeling determined to do it!

AuntieStella Tue 12-Mar-19 07:02:05

Poor you!

How you're on the mend soon

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: