Talk

Advanced search

GPS tracker

(7 Posts)
TheSteveMilliband Sun 03-Mar-19 12:31:29

I've been doing couch to 5k and enjoying it. But I'm also conscious that when it finishes, motivation might drop a little so thinking of getting a GPS tracker and going on strava to help get me off my bum.
Don't want to spend a lot as an only a beginner, are garmin forerunners the best to get or has anyone come across cheaper alternatives? Do you think a second hand one would work ok?

BlueChampagne Mon 04-Mar-19 13:18:42

Surely there's an app for Strava that you can put on your phone?
I use MapMyRun (free version)!

Desmondo2016 Mon 04-Mar-19 13:22:38

You can use Strava on your phone. Other than the running, what else do you want the watch to do for you? I'm a bit of an addict so may be able to advise!

TheSteveMilliband Tue 05-Mar-19 09:09:55

Oh, rubbish phone - the gps doesn't work well at all. I guess that's an alternative though - upgrading my phone. Works ok otherwise.
Might have a solution by getting dp a shiny new tracker for birthday and getting his old one though ;) (he uses his a lot so can justify an expensive one)

ConfusedMoi Sun 10-Mar-19 14:48:46

I use a Fitbit Charge 2 which I have linked to my iPhone. The Fitbit app then also syncs with Strava. Before that I was using the MapMyRun app on my phone and that worked well too.

AuntieStella Sun 10-Mar-19 15:10:40

I have a very basic Garmin 35 which has functions that will cover what you want at this stage (including talking to Strava)

You can find them quite cheaply on Amazon (or even an actual shop which price-matches).

And, as DP runs, have him ask around his mates to see who got an upgrade for Xmas. There's very little you can do with your old Garmin other than pass it on to another runner at knock down price (or even free, between mates). It's like old baby clothes, in theory you could sell then but in practice you often give them away because everywhere is awash with them.

TheSteveMilliband Tue 12-Mar-19 22:33:12

Thanks for the suggestions- yes, wondered if a cheap Garmin would do everything I want, sounds like I could get a second hand one at a good price. Will look up the Fitbit too - thanks.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »