Talk

Advanced search

Spin class

(54 Posts)
Jennywallpaper Sun 17-Feb-19 16:43:19

I'm booked in for my first spin class this week and I'm wondering what people's thoughts are on it, does it help with weight loss and will it help me loose weight from my legs as they are a problem area for me! I'm calorie counting and going to a PT but they're on holiday at the moment so need something else, and thought I'd give spin ago!

dementedpixie Sun 17-Feb-19 16:44:54

Gives you a sore bum! It's not my favourite class tbh but some people love it

NoArmaniNoPunani Sun 17-Feb-19 16:46:09

I enjoy spin classes. You can't spot reduce fat though

Starlive23 Sun 17-Feb-19 16:47:34

I really enjoy it! If you get a good instructor the time flies and you have the potential to burn a lot of calories depending on how hard you want to work. Hope you like it!

EdWinchester Sun 17-Feb-19 16:47:36

It is def a calorie burner - if you work hard.

If you can, wear shoes with cleats as this gives your legs a better work out.

Spin, rpm and sprint are always overbooked at my gym - it is really popular.

Daisymay2 Sun 17-Feb-19 16:54:46

Kettlebells is better as far as I am concerned. I am biased as I think spinning triggered my tendonopathy- and that was a beginners class. Kettlebells really improves the bum and my thighs really notice when I go to a class. The other bonus is that once your technique is sound you can work out at home.

Jennywallpaper Sun 17-Feb-19 17:59:57

@NoArmaniNoPunani I know i can't pick where I loose from (I wish) but I was wondering if spin would help towards fat loss on my legs, I'm going to a pt but thought maybe some other type of exercise would help.

Jennywallpaper Sun 17-Feb-19 18:02:07

@Daisymay2 I do weights with my pt and I love it, think I might invest in a kettlebell at home to. I don't think I need any extra in the bum area tho lol I'm trying to trim the lower area down a bit grin

MikeUniformMike Sun 17-Feb-19 18:04:31

Spinning should make your legs leaner and stronger. You'll need to put the effort in though.

Jennywallpaper Sun 17-Feb-19 18:04:48

I hope so to @Starlive23 a friend of mine goes and she loves it! I'm just worried cause I'm not very fit and I'm over weight! I'll try my best but I'd like to give it a good go!

PivotPivotPivottt Sun 17-Feb-19 18:06:11

I've just started spin 3 weeks ago. First time it absolutely killed me, my legs were sore for days but before this I didn't do any exercise (joined the gym after starting spin). I read it was a great calorie burner which is why I'm giving it a go and hopefully it will boost my fitness levels. Have done 3 classes and am a sweating, dying mess by then endblush.

Racheyg Sun 17-Feb-19 18:07:00

I do 4 spins a week and love it. I agree with a pp you need a good instructor.

It's a great cardio work out and good for the legs. I do weights as well though.

GypsyRoseTea Sun 17-Feb-19 18:07:23

Spin is tough - you either love it hate it. I’ve been going for a couple of years now and without fail the the first 15 minutes of every class I think I’m going to die. Then after I’m like woooooo I’m sooooo fit! I’m a ninja!! Etc etc grin

I’ve noticed people coming and going , some literally get up and leave a class halfway through. But a few like me still soldier on. I spin 2 tines and kettlebells once

beela Sun 17-Feb-19 18:10:12

I love spin. It does burn a lot of calories, and should help tone your legs.

Get the instructor to help you set up your bike correctly at the start.

MikeUniformMike Sun 17-Feb-19 18:11:29

OP, it'll do wonders for your bum.
Do 2 classes a week and other exercises for best results.

Jennywallpaper Sun 17-Feb-19 18:57:10

I've heard the instructor is good and the music is meant to be great! I'm kind of excited but shitting myself at the same time now! If it helps me shift some weight quicker then I'm all for it, I've lost half a stone but I'd love to loose 2 more but I loose it so slowly.

EdWinchester Sun 17-Feb-19 19:00:37

Just don't have your resistance too light, tempting though it may be.

You won't get a good workout and you will risk hurting your knees.

Star21 Sun 17-Feb-19 21:54:36

I love it, did have to buy myself a padded seat from decathlon though as the spin bike seats at my gym are so uncomfortable I nearly gave up. Being in a semi dark room with music pumping loudly and 25 other people pedalling to the same beat and with the same goal is weirdly addictive. The puddles of sweat on the floor under peoples bikes proves just how many calories you can burn. As others said you need a good instructor who can motivate you but walking out of that class with your clothes dripping wet is the best feeling. My legs are so much stronger and toned than before.

LoubyLou1234 Sun 17-Feb-19 22:00:57

I love spin it's so hard for ten minutes but then it's amazing and you feel so good afterwards, if you put the effort in you will get rewards but also mix up workouts too if you can. I find my body gets used to things after a while. Currently do Yoga, spin (RPM/Sprint different releases) body combat and have started some resistance band training. I walk a lot and have a very active job on a ward. Plenty of water and a towel for spin, start your resistance at a manageable level and increase more as you get stronger or you won't finish the class, I wear padded cycling shorts under my leggings/joggers that helps the sore bum!!

bluejelly Sun 17-Feb-19 22:01:15

It's knackering but great fun. I love it

ivykaty44 Mon 18-Feb-19 12:38:45

Spin is great cardiovascular exercise and the more you put in during the first 15 minutes the better the class is

Take plenty of water and a small hand towel

Watto1 Mon 18-Feb-19 12:41:54

I love spinning. Just remember that you can’t freewheel on a spin bike. I tried in the first class and nearly threw my hip out!

Ellabella989 Mon 18-Feb-19 12:43:07

The first time I ever went I was unfit and about 4 stone overweight. I had to keep stopping throughout the class to catch my breath as felt like my heart would explode. I looked like I’d been in the shower by the end from how sweaty it got.
If it kills your bum on the saddle you can get padded covers to put on it.
I lose weight everywhere from doing it regularly (and also sorting my diet out) but my thighs are always the last place I lose fat from no matter what I do. Very annoying!

halfwitpicker Mon 18-Feb-19 12:44:14

Fucking unbelievable mate.

It's the only exercise I've found that tones my inner thighs. It's really for all over too, even your arms.

Depending on the class it can be fun too - vrhe one near me dims the lights and plays 80s rock grin thrashing the life out of the bike to Hells Bells can actually be fun! And a good workout.

halfwitpicker Mon 18-Feb-19 12:46:32

I'm just worried cause I'm not very fit and I'm over weight!

^

Bear in mind you can adjust the bike to your ability. Maybe get there 5 mins early to check how to put the bike on an easier setting.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: