Talk

Advanced search

Peloton

(49 Posts)
Maremaremare Sat 12-Jan-19 17:16:22

Just wondering if anyone has one or is considering it?

nbee84 Sat 12-Jan-19 19:53:17

Looked into it, wasn't really interested in the bike as I already have a spin bike - nearly 2k for the bike and £39 a month for the online part! The bike does look very good quality but I don't know how the price of it compares to other home bikes.

Far too expensive, that's more than my current gym membership. I'll stick with online spin classes that I find on Youtube.

Loubilou09 Sat 12-Jan-19 21:56:03

Yes I got mine on the 11th December and it is absolutely amazing. Nothing compares...

I have used it everyday since the 27th December and can’t wait for my next ride! I use it days and times when I would never ever go to the gym or go for a run or do a video or whatever. People become truly addicted as it’s so good. I bought mine on interest free credit so it’s no more than the price of a good gym. There are a couple of good Facebook groups you should join to get a good feel for it if you are unsure. For me it’s us without a doubt the best investment in my health I have ever made.

Maremaremare Mon 21-Jan-19 13:12:23

Thank you! We ordered it in the end and it just arrived!

nbee84 - if you already have a spin bike, you can just sign up for digital membership which is £20/month and then stream the content on your iPad. Plus you get yoga, stretching and running classes too. At the moment the first two months are free.

I will report back re bike!

nbee84 Mon 21-Jan-19 13:53:58

Thanks for that info 👍
Let me know how you get on.

LoubyLou1234 Mon 21-Jan-19 18:45:12

I looked into this but it's so expensive. I already have a bike and I currently use the Les Mills app at a tenner a month ( also non spin workouts too)

Loubilou09 Wed 23-Jan-19 10:23:27

Maremaremare come and join us on the Peloton UK Community facebook page, there are around 650 of us now smile

I am completely and utterly addicted to it, it is the BEST thing I have done! I had a personal trainer for some good long periods last year but got to the point where I dreaded going. She never got her music together and I felt alone and a bit bored when she was making me go through the motions but with the Peloton it is so engaging, there is a music genre for everyone, an instructor for everyone (some you like, some you don't!), a workout level for everyone. Peloton have completely got it right with this. I am doing the strength exercises to.

Have lost 6 lbs in the last 3 weeks (without watching my food at all - need to get that under control too...), go on the bike most days and dream about what class I am going to take next.

YOU WILL LOVE IT!!!

Maremaremare Wed 23-Jan-19 14:07:20

I am loving it too! I am already a member of the Facebook page - great tips on there. What is your Peloton username, I will follow you?

Loubilou09 Wed 23-Jan-19 15:10:09

Tillymac

Are you following the Peloton_UK group on Peloton? That has about 180 of us on there.

Want2bSupermum Wed 23-Jan-19 15:14:15

See if you can join from the US. It's $39 a month and $2000 for the bike.

Honestly it's a gimmick. People here do it so they can signal to others that they have $2k to spend on a bike that probably cost $200. My gym membership is $50 a month for any location in the tristate area. Spin class is included and I get other classes and equipment to use. What gyms are available to you for £40 or £50 a month? I'd compare it to that.

Loubilou09 Wed 23-Jan-19 17:44:51

Thoroughly enjoying my gimmick thank you Want2b

I have had in the region of 3 gym memberships that I can remember and have been to all three the grand total of about 6 times over a 3 year period.

Have already done 54 classes on my Peloton. Don't need to make any comparisons, I am perfectly able to work out for myself whether I think it is worth it :grin:

BabiesComeWithHats Thu 24-Jan-19 14:43:20

I really want to try this without the #2k comittment. Keep checking eBay for unwanted Christmas presents but haven't spotted one yet!

TheBhagwan Thu 24-Jan-19 15:23:07

I’m not a spinner but my sister who lives in America has been absolutely addicted to Peloton for almost two years. It has paid for itself many times over if you compare it to the price of something like Soul Cycle or even a nice gym. Plus the best part is you don’t need to leave your house! My sister works weird hours so that is great for her. It is literally her favorite thing ever.

If you buy it and it doesn’t work out I bet the bike has great resale value.

TheBhagwan Thu 24-Jan-19 15:24:16

Also @want2besupermum the bike is in my sister’s basement so it’s not like anyone knows she even has it. Definitely not a signaling thing!

cranberrymoon Thu 24-Jan-19 15:40:56

Or if you have a spin bike pay £9.99 for the spin classes and all the others, pump, attack, sha'bam barre etc etc

cranberrymoon Thu 24-Jan-19 15:41:34

*sorry for the Les Mills classes

BrassicaBabe Thu 24-Jan-19 16:10:09

Wish there was something similar for my dull treadmill!

Maremaremare Thu 24-Jan-19 16:32:10

@BrassicaBabe - Peloton have a treadmill now so they have 'on demand' content for that too! You just need to get a Peloton Digital membership. It's free for the first two months at the moment. I think the monthly fee after that is about £20 or £30

Maremaremare Thu 24-Jan-19 16:33:36

@Want2bSupermum - the company is valued at $4 billion now, so I think a few people disagree with you grin

Maremaremare Thu 24-Jan-19 16:36:00

This may be very cheeky, but my referral code is 5BVBDM if anyone wants to buy the bike (you get £100 credit I think, as do I ... actually, not sure if it's £100 or $100)

Want2bSupermum Thu 24-Jan-19 16:47:18

I'm laughing so hard. Soul cycle is $40 a class. It's very much a signaling activity here in the NYC area. Having a peloton bike is talked about by the set of people who have a blow out 2-3 times a week. It is totally a signaling thing.

Each to their own but I think it's poor value for money. The local gym is $70 a month for me, $50 for the membership of all locations in the tristate area and $20 for unlimited childcare while I work out. Childcare is 9am-1pm 7 days a week. I work so do two classes mid week while the DC are in school/daycare and do 1-2 classes at the weekend during childcare hours.

As for having a $4bn valuation.... If someone wants to pay that for the company go right ahead. We are in a bubble right now and in 6-12 months the economy and these valuations will look very different. Also, if Peloton was so profitable they wouldn't need financing of $550m and have debt of $1bn.

Oh and they have a treadmill they are selling too. They started shipping in September and now it's a 'thing' to have a $4,000 treadmill. Same quality treadmill is $1200 from top quality treadmill manufacturers.

Maremaremare Thu 24-Jan-19 19:01:47

What is a blow out?

Maremaremare Thu 24-Jan-19 19:02:28

Ah, sorry blow dry. I thought you meant having a blow out shopping trip or big meal or something

nbee84 Thu 24-Jan-19 20:59:09

Want2b - there are lots of reasons that a gym membership might not work for some people. Some people prefer to work out on their own, Work commitments. Only able to work out at 6am or 10pm. Class timetable does not suit them. Childcare needed as the creche timetable of 9am - 1pm doesn't fit with their needs.

I'm sure there will be other reasons too.

DangerMouse17 Thu 24-Jan-19 21:06:18

Seems as though you just posted to link your referral OP! wink

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »