Talk

Advanced search

Triathlon people where are you?

(283 Posts)
Igottastartthinkingbee Wed 14-Nov-18 09:16:09

Anyone fancy doing a triathlon training thread? Sprint or Olympic or GOTri or Ironman or whatever? Compare training, schedules, competitions and the mega kit fest that is triathlon.

There have been a couple of threads in the last year or two but they’ve dropped off the radar. Please join me! smile

Igottastartthinkingbee Wed 18-Sep-19 10:19:23

Oh good! It takes a while to figure out what works for you, which kit do you really need and what can you stop faffing with in transition. It’s the one part you can save time without having to be any fitter!!

Have fun just running 😂 I did a HM in July and I cannot tell you how much I loved just running for a while! I also spent a lot of the half marathon chatting to a fellow tri friend about how much we’d enjoyed not triathloning 🤣

TriSkiRun99 Tue 17-Sep-19 10:59:33

Well done bee. I changed my transition and gained over a min grin went no socks and wore 2bras instead of faffing with a bra band for the run - my big boobs need a lot of support! Improved my swim by over a min and my run by 1min (I had been injured last year so my run was weak). Really pleased to be making progress on the swimming though as that’s taken the longest to improve. Just need to lose 2stone and I’ll fly on the run 😂

Not sure what to do next year as both kids now want to do the kids Tri in April, but I’m going to focus back on running for a HM again.

Igottastartthinkingbee Mon 16-Sep-19 13:40:00

Well done! 3 mins off is great! I really enjoyed my tri yesterday too, I hadn’t really trained much for it and still did it in about the same time as last year. And it’s given me my mojo back, I really didn’t enjoy my Olympic distance this year and was thinking I should jack it all in. But yesterday was great! So sprints it is for a while, might tackle the Olympic again next year or just do the sprint version.

TriSkiRun99 Sun 15-Sep-19 15:03:56

We did it! Knocked 3mins off last years time as everything went well especially my swim as I panicked in the last one so this one was all about keeping calm & smooth. My DD enjoyed hers too. Phew not thinking about another one ..for at least 6mths 😂signed up for a Feb HM instead. grin

TriSkiRun99 Sat 14-Sep-19 11:00:59

My DD and have just laid all our kit out and had a transition run through grin she has her 1st road bike to try out as she’s only been on it a couple of times. So we are off to the park now for a practice ride.

Igottastartthinkingbee Sat 14-Sep-19 09:55:35

Haha! Yes tomorrow’s tri was also my first ever one. And I keep forgetting that’s what I’m doing tomorrow, can you tell I haven’t really been focussing on it 😂 Good luck!

TriSkiRun99 Sat 14-Sep-19 08:11:27

Good luck bee I feel the same, I’m doing a short Tri on Sunday mainly because my DD wanted to do the kids one so I signed up to it. It’s one I’ve done before (actually my first ever Tri) so I know the course but it didn’t stop me waking up at 5am this morning running through all the transitions in my head 🙈. Hopefully Sunday will go smoothly for both of us.

Igottastartthinkingbee Tue 10-Sep-19 23:31:57

I struggled so much in the hols! And haven’t been on here for ages. Next tri is coming up this weekend but I’m nowhere near as fit for it as I have been in previous years. It’s going to be a ‘get round slowly and enjoy it’ type day (I hope!).

TriSkiRun99 Mon 19-Aug-19 16:00:24

I’ve got back on the bike for two “in the shed” (kids watching TV)..turbo sessions and a outdoor hours ride in last week smile my back has forced me back on the bike as when my hip starts to lock up, running aggravates it but cycling normally loosens the SI joint. I’ve been swimming 2x a week and keeping up a couple of runs but I’ve lost all pace and huge chunk of motivation as I dislike running in the summer. It’s too hot for me and living in a holiday town it gets busy especially during Aug. Next Tri is in Sept, only a short one as my DD wanted to do the kids one so I said I go along too.
How’s everyone else’s motivation do you struggle in the school holidays too, to fit in the exercise?

TheOrigFV45 Tue 13-Aug-19 21:34:57

Thank you Tri.
Yes you must find your motivation, otherwise you'll be sad in Sept! Is it a sprint or full?

Kudos to full Tri people, I felt like the Tin Man on my 4K run!

Anyway, it went well. No goals, apart from not to burn out, to enjoy it and to feel I did well, which I achieved. There were 4 in our little posse all travelling together and faffing around pre-race. Luckily we had a couple of experienced racers in the posse cos there's a lot to take in for someone who is more used to Go...Run.....Stop.

It was a 300m pool swim, 21K bike and 4K run. I did average in the swim and bike, but nailed the run, passing loads of big, strong cycling men. I was very pleased I'd done a couple of bike-run brick sessions so the feeling wasn't entirely new.

Next up is maybe one on our door step early Oct. This was was a 5.30am wake up and I am NOT a morning person, I'd much rather go for a run at 9pm than 7am.

All told I am very pleased. A few years ago there is no way I would have been able to swim 300m w/o stopping, nevermind in a reasonable time.

TriSkiRun99 Tue 13-Aug-19 09:59:30

Well done FV45 great achievement, I remember when you had to postpone your previous one. I’ve done virtually zero cycling since my May Tri, forgetting I’m supposed to be doing one in sept 🙈as my DD wanted to do it so I said ok I’ll sign up too. The times are staggered so I’ll finish just as the kids are starting. Had planned to cycle this morning but woke up to heavy rain & grumpy hormones so couldn’t be arsed. Really must re-find my motivation.

TheOrigFV45 Tue 13-Aug-19 09:27:22

Checking in to report successful completion of first ever Sprint Tri!

More later....

TriSkiRun99 Mon 22-Jul-19 18:07:31

My husband cycles a lot and uses udder cream stuff plus he has used sudacream. I’ve used sudacream & Vaseline and it worked fine, but if it’s a seam I’d try cover it or opt for a different suit.

Lifeisabeach Mon 22-Jul-19 12:23:22

I’ve found putting on tonnes of chamois cream does help a lot. I put loads on before the swim in my half IM. So definitely worth trying that.

I know you said you’ve got a good saddle, but does it definitely fit you? I had a selle Italia one but found it too wide at the nose, so it rubbed my thighs and was really uncomfortable. The one I’ve got now looks as though it should be less comfortable as it’s less padded, but it’s actually better because it’s narrower. You can get a saddle fit done in some bike shops where they map out your sit bones and recommend a saddle based on your shape.

But yes, I’d try chamois cream first and see if that helps.

Igottastartthinkingbee Mon 22-Jul-19 08:25:53

No advice I’m afraid tiny I’ve always used cheap ass cycling shorts/trisuits and not had any issues. Vaseline might be the answer?? Sorry I’m not more use.

TinyMystery Sun 21-Jul-19 19:30:03

Hello triathlon people, I have a question for you all!

I have a real problem with the seams on (any) trisuits rubbing where the chamois is sewn in when I’m low on the bike (aero position is particularly bad). It’s not a big deal for sprints or Olympic as I just get on with it and it’s over pretty quickly but I’m worried it’s going to cause me issues on my half Ironman and I can imagine how furious I’ll be if I bike a crap time because I’ve got a sore groin! I’ve got a good saddle, it’s just specifically that the seams are really sharp right in the bit where my thighs join my labia (to be precise)!

I’ve had one of the pricier DHB suits, a HUUB and a 2XU. I’ve never had this problem with my Castelli tri shorts but a Castelli trisuit would cost more than I can reasonably afford currently. I’m seriously considering fabric gluing a fleece patch over the seams. Can anyone recommend another (cheapish!) brand or any other solutions? Might a shit tonne of Vaseline help? 😬

Igottastartthinkingbee Mon 15-Jul-19 22:17:36

Oh sorry to hear the running hasn’t been going well. It’s so warm at the moment, definitely makes it harder. I think the thing I’ve enjoyed the most is just doing one sport! But I’ve had 5 weeks of that now so I’m ready to crack on with everything again and my legs definitely know they’ve worked hard so I need to do something other than run! Unfortunately, like you tri that’s just as the summer hols are starting! I only have a sprint at the end of the summer to train for so hopefully I’ll be ok to fit enough in.

TriSkiRun99 Mon 15-Jul-19 20:42:25

I’ve been the opposite not enjoying my running and lost all speed as hate running when it’s above 10c. I’ve tried going out at 6am before work and it’s still been 16-17c running along the beach. Went out on my bike today as it was my last “day-off” I.e not at work / or got kids for next 7wks.... school holidays can be fun but juggling kids/different childcare and work normally means less exercise or ME time!

Lifeisabeach Mon 15-Jul-19 11:59:54

Yes definitely a heathen Bee - my running has got really, really bad since Staffs. I seem to have no speed and nothing in the tank when I run.

I've entered an Olympic distance on 31 Aug, and still thinking about IM UK next year, although hearing the stories from yesterday with lots of people not making the bike cut off, I'm not so sure!

Igottastartthinkingbee Mon 15-Jul-19 00:01:28

Argh the thread dropped off my list. Did my second ever half marathon today and it was brilliant! Thought I’d do it in 2hrs 10-15min but actually did it in 2hrs bang on. So thrilled, not sure where the speed came from but I still buzzing!!!

Haven’t sat on my bike since Leeds, must do something about that. Oh and do some swimming. I’ve been loving just running recently 😳 I know, that makes me a heathen 😆

TriSkiRun99 Fri 12-Jul-19 08:58:49

I keep trying to go swim in sea as that was my goal this year but there’s loads of massive barrel jelly fish this year and they are too scary! One swam underneath me a couple of weeks ago and I panicked swam for shore, I was only 5m from shoreline so it’s hampered my attempts this year abit to get more confident in open water. They are relatively harmless sting but I know of other really confident sea swimmers who have been put off abit this year by their unusual presence due to their huge size. Size of dustbin lids and bigger.

reallyneedmoresleep Mon 08-Jul-19 13:02:38

Everyone has gone quiet!
I’ve found a new lake to swim in which is lovely and the folk are friendly but they also do scuba diving in the lake and there is a plastic 🦈 shark in the water. Even knowing it’s plastic it’s still very freaky!

Igottastartthinkingbee Tue 25-Jun-19 11:54:49

Well done really sounds lovely! I’m jut back from a hilly 9 mile run in the pouring rain. Surprisingly enjoyable! Gorgeous countryside helps.

reallyneedmoresleep Sun 23-Jun-19 10:22:29

Cholmondley Castle sprint tri was lovely. A small transition area so I didn’t have to run too far in my wetsuit and didn’t lose my bike. Beautiful undulating bike course. Gorgeous run through the castle grounds (although a bit tricky on freshly mown meadow). My teens did it too and 11yr old DS3 is having a go today. Really friendly event.

Igottastartthinkingbee Wed 19-Jun-19 20:45:31

Haha! Poor Stafford castle, the only time I’ve been there is to watch an open air Shakespeare play, much more enjoyable.

I had a couple of days off and then got back to swimming and running. But I didn’t do nearly as far as you guys. Half marathon to get ready for now so mainly just running for me. I haven’t got time to get as ready as I’d like but hopefully I’ll be up to doing 11 miles with a week or so to go. Is that enough??

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »