Talk

Advanced search

Triathlon people where are you?

(147 Posts)
Igottastartthinkingbee Wed 14-Nov-18 09:16:09

Anyone fancy doing a triathlon training thread? Sprint or Olympic or GOTri or Ironman or whatever? Compare training, schedules, competitions and the mega kit fest that is triathlon.

There have been a couple of threads in the last year or two but they’ve dropped off the radar. Please join me! smile

Igottastartthinkingbee Sun 19-May-19 21:49:48

Well done!!!! Your first sprint isn’t it?? I’m always glad the swim is first cause it’s just good to get it out of the way, sounds like the bike and run went well. Time to book another one now?!

TriSkiRun99 Sun 19-May-19 14:12:51

I did it grinBut my swim was awful, the anti turbulence lane things weren’t up it was just rope so it was like swimming in a choppy sea and I just panicked most of my way had to keep switching to breaststroke to breathe arrhh ... but got the overall best Tri time I thought I could as I tried hard on the bike and clung on during the run 😂

TriSkiRun99 Fri 17-May-19 18:03:24

Sounds like a sensible decision TheOrigR45 hope you enjoy your Autumn Triathlon.

I had a practice run today in my Tri-suit n double bra combo by cycling 5mins to the pool, a swift 400m Swim then straight out and cycled home but oh my it was cold brrr I got chilled just on that short bit I may need to re-think my top layer t-shirt if it’s this temp on Sunday and try a jacket or a 3/4L T-shirt of a different fabric. I tried a techincal T-shirt I use at ParkRun but it just soaked up the water from my Tri suit so I’m going to test another out using the shower I think grin. Nerves really building for Sunday now, I’ll just be relived when it’s done now! My DD is doing the kids one so she starts about 1hr after I finish but should only take them about 45mins to complete.

TheOrigFV45 Fri 17-May-19 09:49:08

I am going to book another Tri in Aug - and this time I have already set up overnight childcare for DS2. Ta da!

I am disappointed and it's just not like me to 'quit', but it was the right thing to do.

DS2 gets more independent every day and I don't want to wish his life away. My time will come again but meanwhile I need to balance what I want to do with his needs. He comes to many of my races as it is.

TriSkiRun99 Thu 16-May-19 18:41:51

We have just reserved a ski place for a winter school hols thoughgrin so I’m living up to my user name!

TriSkiRun99 Thu 16-May-19 18:41:02

Wow 5mins off PB is fab well done. I’m feeling abit blurrr as my niggly hip flexor/ old C-sec scar tissue has flared up in last few days sad only did a slow 5k run today, and going to miss swim training tonight to rest it before my Tri on Sunday. FingersXed it doesn’t get worse and hoping anti-inflammatories, stretching and bath help.

Igottastartthinkingbee Tue 14-May-19 17:59:51

Well done life! 5 mins off and doing it in your comfort zone 👍

Lifeisabeach Sun 12-May-19 16:24:26

I got a 5 min PB in my half marathon today! I’m really pleased, not so much because of the time, but how I felt. I normally fall apart in the second half of a race but I paced it much better than usual and felt strong in the last few miles. So that gives me some hope that the training is paying off and I’ll be able to complete the 70.3!

Igottastartthinkingbee Sun 12-May-19 15:14:29

Hello swimming! Which other Ironmans have you done? Did you go straight into that or build up from standard triathlons?

I did my longest run in about 2 years this morning, 8 miles. Went well, just kept plodding on steadily. I’m scared of getting injured so keep reminding myself that slow and steady is best for long term.

SwimmingKaren Sun 12-May-19 09:14:08

TametheDragon I also did Wales as my first - you won’t regret it, the support is incredible but yes. Hills. grin

SwimmingKaren Sun 12-May-19 09:09:07

Signing in, Ironman UK this year, will be my third but first at Bolton. Agree about the early starts, they kill me, especially as I struggle to eat at 5am. Have been doing early bike rides to practice but had a few disasters where I just couldn’t face proper food that early and have wound down like the un-Duracell bunny after 50 miles or so. grin

TriSkiRun99 Sun 12-May-19 09:02:55

Just been out for an early 45mins checking out the hilly bit of the Tri. The bike bit still scares me the most as I’m just not confident on the springy road bike handling round corners and down hill bits. Off out with the kids in a bit on their bikes for a more leisurely ride to a park it’s still about 8m round trip and it takes in 3 parks grin & probably an ice cream weather looks beautiful. Hoping for a sea swim later as well if it stays sunny.

Igottastartthinkingbee Sat 11-May-19 20:20:40

Oh that’s a shame orig no point doing the event if your head isn’t in the right place, especially as a first timer. I hope you find another event soon.

TriSkiRun99 Fri 10-May-19 20:48:48

That’s a shame rights hope you can find another challenge that fits family life better.
I prefer the early start if it’s local, luckily the one near me you can register etc the day before and since it’s local I’ll nip down to collect my number. Then it’s 7.30am pool side, I’ll be glad to get it over with so I’m not worrying /nerves building all day grin there’s another local one but it’s 2pm start that would be awful for my body clock I’d be in sleepy mode.

TheOrigFV45 Fri 10-May-19 14:15:44

It's 8.15am, that's not the problem, it's the having to register by 7am.

I've decided not to do it. Complicated personal reasons, but it's the right decision.

Igottastartthinkingbee Fri 10-May-19 13:13:41

What’s your start time Orig?

Pool swims start early because they can only fit so many people in the pool at once and have a lot of people to get through. Big lake swim tris are like that too, lots of people to get going. The longer distance tris take some people a long time so they might also need people finished by a certain time if the roads have been closed for the event.

Good luck with it anyway!

TheOrigFV45 Thu 09-May-19 15:58:37

Why do Triathlons start SO early?!

DS2 is NOT going to be happy on Sunday morning.

Doing my first ever sprint tri grin

TriSkiRun99 Wed 08-May-19 21:11:08

Sounds great bee, I still remember watching the Tour de France a good 12-13yrs ago we really enjoyed the atmosphere- we were in the Pyrenees. The Tour de Britain has gone through our town a couple of times which was good too. Yes fitting in all the training bits is challenging! I’ve got 10days to my first Sprint Tri arrhhh but feeling ok about it, it’s just the bike that scares me it’s got a fair chunk of up hill which is really tiring. Just hope the weather is kind!

Igottastartthinkingbee Wed 08-May-19 11:47:12

Lots of hard work going on here!

I did a long (for me!) 25 miles bike ride yesterday, took in some of the Tour De Yorkshire, very inspiring but didn’t make me any faster 😂 Actually, having done that route a few times now it doesn’t feel like such a big deal anymore. Might combine it with a 5k run next week. Loved watching the tour on the weekend, perched by the side of a hill so got a great view of Froome and Cav, totally starstruck 😍😆

7.5 mile run in the pouring rain this morning. Gradually building up my distance for a half marathon in the summer. Just need to fit some swimming in now!

Lifeisabeach Mon 06-May-19 17:29:27

Well done to your DH TriSkiRun99! Sounds as though you’ve had a good training day too.

I did parkrun with the kids on Sat, an 8 mile run yesterday and today have done a 45 mile (very hilly!) bike plus 2 mile brick run. We decided not to go and do the Staffs course in the end as we didn’t want to leave the kids all day, so we stayed close to home. We’re thinking of both taking a day’s holiday in the week soon to go and do it.

TriSkiRun99 Mon 06-May-19 15:32:40

DH had a great marathon, just absolutely zonked today bless him. I got a 20k bike ride then 5k run in before taking the kids swimming today. So did about 10Ls in the pool whilst they swam and played too.

TriSkiRun99 Sat 04-May-19 18:12:26

We are waiting to cheer DH on at Southampton Marathon tom. Hopefully he won’t sleep too badly as we are all same hotel room - 2kids & us looks like quite a few runners in the bar bit tonight so FingersXed no late slamming doors at the hotel smile good luck with the Tri training. I did PR this morn and really thought I’d got a PB but missed it by 9secs on the official time.. Arrh.smile will try again next week!

Lifeisabeach Fri 03-May-19 22:18:28

Sounds like you are doing really well with your training TriSkiRun99

Bank holiday plans here - did a lake swim tonight and it was freezing, so different to the Easter weekend when I last went in there. Couldn’t feel my hands by the end so getting changed was a struggle! Parkrun tomorrow, hoping for an 8ish mile run Sunday and then we’re riding the Staffs bike course on Monday!

Igottastartthinkingbee Fri 03-May-19 22:14:39

Busy weekend triski! Which marathon is your husband doing?

I’m planning on getting at least some cycling and swimming in. Should’ve gone for a run tonight but I feel I bit under a cloud 🙁 not sure why but had no energy.

Tour de Yorkshire spectating also happening this weekend, hoping to spot Froome and Cav slogging up a hill!

TriSkiRun99 Fri 03-May-19 21:42:53

Planning another cycle & run session for Monday and possibly a sea-swim late afternoon if weather plays ball. Swim training last night, and ran yesterday then did cycle commute to work n back today 28k. So trying to get more training in. Two weeks to my first sprint now. ParkRun tom then off to support hubbie who is running his first Marathon but think I’ll end up just as tired driving there 3hrs, looking after kids & trying to coordinate watching /supporting him & driving home again. But he’s super supportive of my events too so we are a team, hence I’m bagsing Monday to do my stuff grin Anyone else got Bank Hols training planned?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: