Talk

Advanced search

Triathlon people where are you?

(169 Posts)
Igottastartthinkingbee Wed 14-Nov-18 09:16:09

Anyone fancy doing a triathlon training thread? Sprint or Olympic or GOTri or Ironman or whatever? Compare training, schedules, competitions and the mega kit fest that is triathlon.

There have been a couple of threads in the last year or two but they’ve dropped off the radar. Please join me! smile

TriSkiRun99 Tue 12-Feb-19 08:59:45

I eat a lidls Apple fruit cake bar when running it’s requures minimal chewing seems to melt in my mouth and mostly carbs/sugar so quick release. Plus detrose tablets I prefer now to jelly babies.

Igottastartthinkingbee Fri 22-Feb-19 21:59:30

Hello! I dropped off the radar when there was that password breach thing.

I’m having a go at a proper cycling club ride this weekend and I’m scared! I haven’t ridden anywhere near the distance since last summer and I haven’t a clue if I’ll be fast enough.

Running is going well, did a lovely 12km run last week. Swimming is ok, just looking at booking in a session with a proper tri coach because I know there is lots to improve upon. But half term has put paid to training this week so back to it next week. How’s everyone else doing?

Igottastartthinkingbee Mon 25-Feb-19 19:15:50

Did a 40 mile ride with a my cycling club this weekend. I hadn’t done anything like that before but I really enjoyed it, and as with anything I did way more than I ever would’ve on my own! I was a bit broken by the end of it though! Big run tomorrow, can’t wait because the weather is looking lovely again. Just need to fit some swimming in somewhere and I’m sorted!

TheOrigFV45 Mon 25-Feb-19 20:04:42

Am doing first sprint tri 12th May! Woo.

TriSkiRun99 Mon 25-Feb-19 20:52:32

First time on my bike since Oct today blush only 20k but it was a start. I’ve been running all winter and did a half 2wks ago so now need to focus on getting bike fit again! Been ticking the swimming over 1-2x a week. Not lost any weight though angry need to work on that too...

Igottastartthinkingbee Mon 25-Feb-19 21:53:57

Hello orig!

Whoop well done triski gorgeous day to get back out on the bike! How was the half? It must feel good to have one of the disciplines totally nailed.

TriSkiRun99 Tue 26-Feb-19 15:43:40

I’m not a fast I runner bee but I keep going & was 5mins quicker than last year grin. I’m still not convinced I’m going to do the sprint distance yet, as not feeling very body positive at the moment more middle aged and round hmmm and there is zero hiding in a Tri-suit with big wobbly bits!

Hope everyone else is buoyed up by the recent sunny weather to get out running & cycling.

Igottastartthinkingbee Mon 04-Mar-19 10:50:47

Slightly risky run today, roads for the most part but finished going across some fields down to the river. I hadn’t considered that the stepping stones might be submerged by the weekend rain 🤦🏼‍♀️ Trainers off and a some motivational self chat got me across, very relieved to get to the other side! Won’t be doing that again after a rainy spell.

Lifeisabeach Mon 04-Mar-19 11:21:24

Sounds a bit scary bee, glad you managed to get across safely!

I'm still plodding along. Got out on my tt bike when we had the nice weather, and found that it's really rubbish at going up hills (or maybe I am, but I decided it was the bike's fault!). My OH has changed the cassette at the back and says it should be better now but I haven't had chance to try it - didn't fancy it this weekend with all the wind.

I thought IM Staffs 70.3 was fairly flat, but having looked into it, it definitely isn't! So need to be able to get up hills. Hoping for some better weather again soon so I can get back out on the bike. I did 28 miles last weekend so really need to build on that.

Did a 9 mile run yesterday, was absolutely soaked through at the end. The hot shower and cup of tea afterwards was bliss!

Lifeisabeach Thu 14-Mar-19 11:08:41

Where is everybody, how are you all getting on in this windy weather? I'm supposed to be doing a duathlon on Saturday (and OH and our 2 DCs as well) but the forecast is for gale force winds so it's looking as though it might be postponed. I'm kind of hoping it is, as it's in an exposed location and I don't fancy it with the 45mph+ gusts that are predicted.

I managed 1.5 hours on the turbo on Sunday, followed by a 5k run, so that's the longest training session I've managed so far, still a drop in the ocean compared to IM 70.3!

TriSkiRun99 Fri 15-Mar-19 14:54:14

Wow 1.5hrs on turbo beach is good going I find it SO dull. I just did my first turbo session (in v.windy shed) in a year, as DH finally set my bike up and it’s just too windy ere for me to go out run/cycle. I only did half hour and found that hard going I’m just not bike fit at the moment. I’m not inspired by being on my bike either which is the biggest challenge for me I think, as I can find/squeeze time if im motivated plus it just seems easier to go for a run than face the scary traffic on my bike!

Swimming once a week but really need to go twice so plan to go tonight. I’m Running 3x a week enjoying that smile.

Nateismine Sat 16-Mar-19 18:33:56

Things are going well here. On Week 4 of the Finks intermediate plan and no way injuries yet. Am taking it slowly though and have found running much less torturous now that I have given myself permission to slow down. Out for a 2hr 15min bike tomorrow in the sun apparently. Hope everyone else is good.

Lifeisabeach Mon 18-Mar-19 10:15:05

TriSkiRun I find it dull too, and have a TV right in front of me, plus music if I want. I was watching the World Triathlon Series for my long turbo session and that kind of helped. I didn't do enough cycling last week but did manage a 10 mile run yesterday. It's so hard to find the right balance isn't it. Need to get back on the bike more often this week.

My duathlon on Saturday was postponed because of the wind, thankfully, but we can't make the new date as we're on holiday, which is annoying!

Igottastartthinkingbee Wed 20-Mar-19 21:49:16

Hello! I’ve had a lull, busy week last week and too bloody windy for any cycling. I took my bike out in wettish and windy weather the previous week but instantly regretted it. I thought it would be good to cycle in some inclement weather so I set off on my usual 20 mile route but I bottled it after a mile! Instead I went round the steep local lanes but I still scared. Bottled out of going down a steep hill and then fell off as I was clipping back in 🙈 no witnesses thank goodness!

Anyway, I had a one to one with a swim coach on the weekend. So much to work on!!! But a great session that’s given me a much needed kick up the arse!

Been out on the bike today (first time since my fall/wimp out session!) and felt ok. Didn’t go as far as I’d hoped but better than nothing. Less than a month to my first tri of the year so I need to crack on!

TheOrigFV45 Tue 26-Mar-19 09:30:17

I have been TOLD by 2 experienced triathletes that I need to do at least a couple of brick sessions before I do my first tri (12th May).

So, today I am going to ride for about 5 miles, dump the bike at home and then go for a 3 mile run.

Does that sound like a good start? Would I be better to really push myself and get a better feel for race conditions, or just take it easy?

The tri is 300m swim, 22K ride and 5K run.

Lifeisabeach Tue 26-Mar-19 10:57:55

Sounds like a good brick session although you might be better doing a longer bike and shorter run - say 10 miles/2 miles, to get closer to how your legs will feel after the bike leg in the tri. I would go fairly hard on the bike but start the run quite slowly and build up. Your legs feel really odd for the first few minutes and I've found I feel as though I'm going slow but actually I'm running too fast and need to slow down!

I managed 36 miles on the bike outside on Sunday and hated it sad My TT bike feels SO uncomfortable and I'm thinking about going back to my road bike and using that for the half IM. Maybe I just need to tweak the set up or try a different saddle though.

TheOrigFV45 Tue 26-Mar-19 14:55:25

Thank you beach.

In the end I did just under 6 miles on the bike and 2 run. It was just in my lunch break so couldn't really go much further on the bike.
It felt OK actually - not as bad as it felt after the (one and only) splash and dash I did a couple of years ago.

I did push on the bike but took it easy on the run as I felt very ploddy but didn't feel jelly-legged.

First ever brick session - DONE!

Igottastartthinkingbee Tue 26-Mar-19 19:27:10

Well done orig you’ve reminded me that I really ought to sort some brick training out!

TriSkiRun99 Wed 27-Mar-19 17:23:20

Well done TheOrigFV45 sounds like it was a good brick session.

I really need to get out on my bike just can’t find the confidence or motivation. I’ve done a few turbo sessions instead though so working myself upto it...

Igottastartthinkingbee Mon 08-Apr-19 22:35:37

First tri of the season is looming this weekend!!!! Part of me can’t wait but another part is crapping it that I’ve become complacent about training because I’ve done a few tris before. Last years training counts towards this one doesn’t it 😂

Igottastartthinkingbee Mon 15-Apr-19 07:32:09

First tri of the season done yesterday, went faster than last year, managed to not fall off my bike in the crazy crosswinds and generally enjoyed myself!

TriSkiRun99 Tue 16-Apr-19 17:56:20

Well done bee - I’ve still yet to go out on my bike, I seem to have a complete block in my head about it 🙈done a few sessions on the turbo and kept up running & swimming fine. May try a brick session on Friday when off work.

Igottastartthinkingbee Wed 17-Apr-19 07:28:01

Thank you! Maybe just try a very very short bike ride one day triski and get back out there.

TriSkiRun99 Fri 19-Apr-19 10:10:39

Went out early this morning Yah! Got a Hilly 20k on the road Bike id not ridden since last year, then straight into 5k run. Really pleased felt fine with stamina but it was my foot pins n needles which slowed my run as had to keep stopping to stretch it. Feeling a lot more confident about doing the sprint in 4wks time now even if my current timings will put me in bottom 10% (based on last years times)

Nateismine Fri 19-Apr-19 22:37:41

Just checking to see how the Stafford crew are getting on? I've been religiously following the Intermediate Fink plan and it is taking over my life. The kids are semi neglected but only 7 more weeks to go.

Did my biggest day ever on Weds: 4hr 15 bike followed by a 45min Run. Was tough but I did it....then was completely drained and non functioning for the rest of the day. Then had to do a 17k Run the next day- was tough!

I'm enjoying the swimming but have never swum in a lake or in a group.

Can I ask the Stafford competitors what time they are hoping/ expecting to do the bike in. I seem to be really slow and it looks like it will take me about 4hrs 10.

Would love to hear how everyone else is getting on.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: