Talk

Advanced search

Triathlon people where are you?

(146 Posts)
Igottastartthinkingbee Wed 14-Nov-18 09:16:09

Anyone fancy doing a triathlon training thread? Sprint or Olympic or GOTri or Ironman or whatever? Compare training, schedules, competitions and the mega kit fest that is triathlon.

There have been a couple of threads in the last year or two but they’ve dropped off the radar. Please join me! smile

Nateismine Thu 15-Nov-18 04:52:35

I've just entered Stafford half Ironman June 2019. A sort of mid life crisis move😬. I did one sprint tri last year and have no natural talent at any of the three sports, and I really don't enjoy running. However, I thought it would be an interesting challenge......
I'm currently on week 7 of 12,of a Wattbike programme to try and improve my cycling then my 20 week Stafford program starts on 21st Jan.

Lifeisabeach Thu 15-Nov-18 14:10:22

Hi! I was on one of the other threads earlier in the year but didn’t keep up with it. I did an Olympic distance tri at the start of September. Swim and bike were great, run was awful, but that’s always the way with me.

Nateismine I am also doing Ironman Staffs 70.3 in June! Also a midlife crisis for me as I turned 40 last week! Would you mind sharing your training programme? I’m doing heart rate/zone 2 base building training at the moment to hopefully make my running more efficient, as that’s where I’m going to struggle! I’m thinking I might need to run/walk the run just to get through it. Have also started more strength and conditioning stuff, kettlebells and some weights.

Would be great to keep this thread going over the winter and share how the winter training is going.

Igottastartthinkingbee Thu 15-Nov-18 14:15:48

Hi Nate! Nice to have some company. Wow half Ironman is no mean feat! Are you from a cycling or swimming background?

My background is a bit of running (from 10k up to a half marathon) which started after my kids were born. Started dabbling with triathlon 2 years ago and did my first Olympic distance this summer. Signed up for Leeds Triathlon next June so I just want to improve my time. Swimming is my weakest (learned front crawl 18 months ago) but I’m not amazing at any of the three! This winter I intend on improving my swimming. I’ve been doing lots of open water swimming but this week it was just too cold to really swim! We were only in the lake for 10 minutes but at least it’s good practise just being in cold water. I have no fear of the lake now so that’s half the battle, just need to get faster now. Back in the pool for the foreseeable!

Igottastartthinkingbee Thu 15-Nov-18 21:59:12

Ooh life that’s weird we both replied at the same sort of time so I missed your post. Hello!

What is it with turning 40 and signing up to these ridiculous triathlons grin I also turned 40 recently! I’m not up to 70.3 though, I only just managed to squeeze enough training for the Olympic last year.

I’ve started doing a regular yoga class, I’m hoping that counts as my strength and conditioning!

Lifeisabeach Fri 16-Nov-18 10:12:51

Hi bee - I'll try and stick around on the thread this time.

I've been doing kettlebells and some core stuff at home, not sure whether it'll make much difference but I'm quite enjoying it for a bit of a change.

I did an hour on the turbo last night. So boring!

Cakestop Fri 16-Nov-18 10:24:53

If you turbo train that much and can afford a smart trainer (Xmas is coming!) then I’d recommend Zwift to alleviate the boredom. You even encounter the pros!

Can I ask how old everyone’s kids are? Since my second I’ve struggled with time and energy. Mine are 4 and 1. My first slept brilliantly but my second not so much. Ps, I’m more of a cyclist so apologies for hijacking!

Lifeisabeach Fri 16-Nov-18 17:58:28

Hi Cakestop - I do use Zwift and also had iPlayer on watching the super league triathlon, but I still found it really dragged. So much prefer to be out on the road. But hopefully I’ll get used to it.

My kids are 10, 8 and 3.5. So things are easing up a bit now that we’re done with the baby/toddler phase. It’s still a total juggling act to fit in training as my DH and older two DC do triathlon and some other activities too.

Igottastartthinkingbee Fri 16-Nov-18 19:43:41

Hi cakestop my kids are 6 and 4. I did my first (only ha!) half marathon when youngest was 18 months. I think most training was motivated by wanting to be alone and out of the house grin sorry DD!

Any cycling tips are much appreciated cake, I haven’t sat on my bike for a couple of months and can’t imagine it will be getting much daylight during the winter. I did a bit of turbo training this year but only as an absolute last resort when DH was away lots. It is so dull!!! Is zwift an app??? I’m clueless, can you tell?!?!

Cakestop Fri 16-Nov-18 21:11:01

Nice one bee Yes, I could train loads (albeit on the turbo mostly hence Zwift) with my first. My second is not allowing me much (any) time!

I turbo train as I don’t have a lot of time to go out and ride, and ideally would like to train most days, which getting out is just not achievable. www.zwift.com It’s still turbo training but much better.

Like lifeisabeach said, it doesn’t kill boredom but it’s a good distraction from the fact you are just turboing! Ah sigh!

I have never attempted a triathlon. I ran the L M once... got injuries, then took up cycling and got a little obsessed! I’ll watch and see what everyone does on here smile

mylittlefidget Sat 17-Nov-18 07:47:26

I'm another 70.3 virgin but have signed up for Staffordshire next year as well. Good to know there's a few of us :-)

SkiMum99 Sat 17-Nov-18 18:48:34

Hi I was on the other thread bee I do all 3 sports in varying degrees of skill around job and 2 DDs. Have done 3 Go-Tris but not made it up to sprint level yet (my next goal) as dodging issues with discs in my lower back. Hubbie did his first Zwift sess this week on our turbo and lasted an hour going round “Innsbruck” grin looked funny on his Strava as he was in the garden shed 😂 I may have to try it out if he will let me use his account. I’m building back up to a HM run in Feb again, ran 9.5m last Monday so body holding up again which is good after zero running in Aug with back issues. Swim 1-2x a week.

Igottastartthinkingbee Wed 21-Nov-18 14:17:55

Hi ski and mylittle!

I’ve been having back issues too ski, I’m trying to just ignore and carry on. I’m hoping that regular yoga and extra stretches will help.

Still haven’t made it to the pool.....must rectify that this weekend!

SkiMum99 Fri 23-Nov-18 21:21:03

Great mile swim tonight got in zone up/down happily in my own space. May do ParkRun tom depends on how heavy the “heavy” rain forecast is grin I don’t mind a shower but it was torrential earlier tonight with massive puddles/flooding in places. DH is really enjoying his zwift sessions this week I may have to venture into the shed and check it out. What’s everyone else upto?

Igottastartthinkingbee Sat 24-Nov-18 07:07:49

About to go for my first pool swim in months, very much looking forward to being warm and not in a wetsuit!

mylittlefidget Sat 24-Nov-18 11:12:34

2000m swim and 5km run this morning. Now where did I hide the chocolate? :-)
Have a good training weekend, everyone.

LoosingBattle Wed 28-Nov-18 18:19:19

Another mid-life crisis Stafford sign up checking in! grin

Running background. Can't swim well but been having lessons since June. Bought my first road bike last month <she is a thing of great beauty>.

Can anyone recommend a (gentle) beginners plan? Just winging it at this moment. Just finished my first Zwift cycle. smile

Igottastartthinkingbee Wed 28-Nov-18 19:47:35

There’s a lot of you Staffs halfers out there, I’d be intrigued to know how it goes. I can’t see me doing beyond Olympic at the moment but I could be tempted in a year or two.

Lifeisabeach Wed 28-Nov-18 21:25:48

Wow, yes, loads of us doing Staffs!

LoosingBattle, I was planning to use the half Ironman plans in the Don & Melanie Fink book. It has beginner, intermediate and competitive plans, plus lots of other info about nutrition, race day tips etc. Think I’ll need to start following the plan properly in the new year. At the moment I’m trying to do mainly easy, aerobic stuff to build endurance.

Just been out for a run with the Tri club. I always dread it but feel great afterwards.

Nateismine Wed 28-Nov-18 21:56:02

Hello. So I'm on week 10 of a Wattbike base plan to try and improve my cycling. 2 more weeks of that then I'm having 2 weeks off ish over Xmas and new year. Then I found a free 20 week beginner half Ironman plan online which looks doable do I'll follow that BUT I also work full time and have ds7 and ds10.
I come from a horse riding backgroundconfused I have no natural talent in any of the 3 sportsgringringrinSo a real challenge. I can swim 1900 in 45mins at the moment and I can cycle 60 miles but I can only run about 5k before hips and knees start to twinge so I'm nervous about that.

Started weight training st the gym this week and now have terrible Doms so haven't done anything last 2 days. Really pleased there are a bunch of us aiming for Stafford.

Thisismyhappyface Wed 28-Nov-18 21:59:03

Hello tri-types! I did my first year of sprints this year. Struggling to keep up training through the winter... Haven't run for a few weeks blush but have been swimming a lot, and have signed up for month long MMA bootcamp, which I'm hoping will improve strength. No concrete plans yet for next year...

Nateismine Wed 28-Nov-18 22:02:00

This Why don't you join us at Stafford?

Igottastartthinkingbee Wed 28-Nov-18 22:28:00

Nate I’m also from horse riding background (former life in racing) but haven’t sat on a horse for a couple of years now! I too have little talent in any of the disciplines but I’d say running is my strongest or least weak?! Your swim time is good! It took me 45 mins to do 1500 in the lake last year! I have GOT to improve on that surely!!!!

Re training plans, I used one out of 220 magazine. They have different training plans in every issue. I think I got 5 issues for £5 although they kept sending it for another few months without charging me! Might be worth signing up to that for a few months anyway for general tips and inspiration. Another thing to help with motivation, general tips for training and fitting it all in with life is The Triathlon Coach Cafe on Facebook. And the SWAT podcast is well worth a listen.

Nateismine Tue 04-Dec-18 20:06:27

Signed up to The Triathlon Cafe - thanks for that tip. Already getting 220 on subscription.
Had a lethargic week last week and only did 2 hrs of cycling. Will try and get my mojo back this week. I'm also eating too much and can't say no to the Xmas treats. Need to shift about 9kg before race day. How's everyone else doing?

Igottastartthinkingbee Tue 04-Dec-18 20:29:38

Oh good nate there’s so much on that FB page. And 2 hours cycling is more cycling than I’ve done!

I’ve stepped up my running a bit this week and I’ve been swimming more. I’m getting my groove back! Just in time for Christmas grin

Nateismine Tue 04-Dec-18 20:44:27

My previous life was eventing 😀. Haven't sat on a horse for 10 yrs since my first was born.

SkiMum99 Sat 15-Dec-18 08:33:59

How’s everyone getting on? I ran a HM on Monday which was on my “do” list before years end and the weather was perfect so I went for it. Swam last night practicing some breathing drills (nicked from my DDs swim club session) trying to do 6breaths in FC to see if it speeds up my arm pull. I was running out of air by 18-20m mark though. Also playing with my head position abit in the FC swim. Zero cycling done, as DH has monopolised the turbo and I just can’t bring myself to sit in the shed 😂. Also trying to tackle my diet as I keep gaining middle aged spread sad so just started reading Renee McGregor bookTraining Fuel to see if I can learn how to reduce carbs - which I need to - but still do sport & not feel knackered. Has anyone else been experimenting with low carb and exercising?

TametheDragon Fri 21-Dec-18 23:28:12

Oooh I’ve only just seen this thread - please may I join?!
For my sins I’m also a horsey girl, from this post it seems like there’s a correlation between horsey background and triathlon. I’m guessing that’s because we’re already gluttons for punishment on the physical side of things and are already used to chucking our money away! blushhmm
Sport wise I guess running is my background, only over the past 4/5 years but I’m now running quite significant distances fairly regularly. I enjoy cycling but not massively experienced. Swimming I have had to relearn as an adult as when I went back to it after a 15year break I had basically forgotten how to do it and developed a phobia to go with it confused Last summer I came to love open water swimming.
Triathlon wise I have done one sprint so far, and since then have entered Ironman Wales next September shock I will be using the Fink training plan, and currently am ticking over trying to keep some baseline fitness before training starts in earnest.

Nateismine Sat 22-Dec-18 11:54:31

Tame welcome! I thought I was crazy going from sprint to a half-ironman, but that's nothing compared to Ironman Wales grin. Much respect!

TametheDragon Sat 22-Dec-18 23:58:22

Cheers nate, but I’ll put that respect on hold until I’ve completed the bloody thing! And after struggling to fix a puncture today, I reckon if I pick up one of those on race day I’ll kiss goodbye to any chance of making the bike cut-off blushblush

swearbyit Fri 28-Dec-18 15:02:29

Can I join too?! Did my first Ironman (Bolton) last year, and loved it, and have booked another Iron distance this summer. Previously I'd only done one sprint about 4 years ago. I was really motivated last year for Bolton, but finding it less easy, motivationally speaking, this time round, so hoping to take some inspiration from you all!

Lifeisabeach Tue 01-Jan-19 15:44:02

Happy new year triathletes!

sweerbyit wow, major respect for completing Bolton! How did you find it? Which iron distance have you entered for this year?

Tamethedragon you are very brave taking on Ironman Wales! What kind of training are you doing at the moment?

I’ve been doing a lot of aerobic/zone 2 heart rate training and it seems to be making a difference. My aerobic pace for running has gradually improved and is almost a minute per mile faster than when I started the HR training in September. So hopefully my endurance is improving, to get me through the dreaded run at the end of the half Ironman.

Kicked off the year with NYD parkrun with my DD. Now trying to work out a training schedule for the next couple of months. My OH starts a new job tomorrow with different hours so I’m trying to shuffle everything around so we can all get our training in. He’s doing Staffs 70.3 too.

swearbyit Tue 01-Jan-19 20:04:28

Thanks, but to be honest, it was entirely doable - I did it in just under 14hrs, and enjoyed every second. Spent waaaay to long in each transition, but was chatting and enjoying the moment, so no regrets! I've signed up for the Lakesman this year. The Ironman brand is fabulous, makes you feel really special because of all the incredible support, but also is very expensive! The Bolton course is changing this year, but wherever it goes, it will always be very special, and if you have the slightest desire to do an Ironman, I would whole heartedly recommend it. You get alsorts doing it, different shapes/ages/sizes but everyone I saw was having the time of their lives. In terms of training, I was doing around 10-12hrs per week. For context, I work p/t 3 days, and have 2 kids in upper primary. Hope that is some use for anyone considering it! As for this year, have booked a 20 mile race in march and a marathon in April, and a few 10k/half marathons in-between. Plan on doing 2 100mile bike rides in spring, but otherwise tick over on turbo trainer/spinning classes. Swimming wise, 2 hour long sessions per week, moving to open water in may. My aim again is to enjoy it, and avoid injury, which will be far less competitive than some of you are aiming for! Hope everyone has a fantastic time working towards their goals - and Happy New Year!

Nateismine Tue 01-Jan-19 20:52:13

Swear - that is very impressive, I can't see it as that 'doable' at the moment. I can get my head around the swim and the bike but not then having to run a marathonconfused
But you said it- need to enjoy it and not get injured!
My 20 week plan before Stafford starts on 14th Jan- really nervous to see if I can manage training around kids and work.

swearbyit Tue 01-Jan-19 21:05:08

No, it didn't seem doable to me in January either! But, you know you want it, and you're going to work for it, and it will happen! The best motivation for me was doing it for charity (not everyone's cup of tea) but people were incredibly generous, and I raised over 5k. Makes getting off your butt on a wet Feb night much easier to commit to. It's completely true when people call it a journey.

TametheDragon Mon 07-Jan-19 12:02:20

I'm loving this thread, so good to have triathlon chatter with ladies that are goal focused but realistic about time constraints/real life.

Lifeisabeach I've kept everything ticking over up until now, not doing loads of anything or with any particular gusto, but just keeping my hand in. I'm going to follow the Don Fink 'Be Iron Fit' plan which officially should start in a month but I think I'm going to start this week to give myself some flex, and add some extra cycling into the plan as it goes along. I'm not looking to be competitive, just want to get round and enjoy my day. My husband is forces and will be deployed for the most part between Feb and September, so training will give me a focus, and his being away will let me be selfish with my time at the weekends. Every cloud and all that.

Igottastartthinkingbee Mon 07-Jan-19 20:27:41

Yeah! More people on the thread! I’d totally dropped off it and haven’t really been in proper training mode for the last month. Back to it now though.

Very impressed at all the Ironman chat! I’d love to do one but it feels unrealistic right now, not the one off event but the amount of training needed. Maybe one day when the kids are older.

I’ve got a sprint in April and an Olympic in June. And then a half marathon in July. After that I’ll hopefully do another sprint at the end of the summer. Currently not very fit and having some lower back pain (again!!!!!sad) but looking forward to upping my distances and having a good build up to the first tri of the season smile

olympic19 Tue 08-Jan-19 15:48:51

Can I join you? I turned 40 a couple of years ago and decided to do a local women-only sprint triathlon and had such a good time that I did it again last year. This year, in a wave of enthusiasm after a bottle of wine I signed up to do an Olympic Tri (gulp) in July. I am fat and 42 and really am hoping to shift a couple of stone beforehand. I signed up to Training Peaks and am
following a 28-week program.

So far the training is going well, I'm in the "prep" stage which is basically about consistency. Regular but short workouts. Swimming is my Achilles heel though - following TI techniques to improve my freestyle, but I'm terrible at it. But my goal is to swim the entire thing without switching to breaststroke, so I need to stick at it.

olympic19 Tue 08-Jan-19 15:50:42

I'm racing to raise money for Save the Children so I'm hoping that will be an extra motivator!

Igottastartthinkingbee Tue 08-Jan-19 19:31:55

Welcome olympic! You sound like me! I did my first Olympic distance last year having done a season and a half of sprints. And swimming is also my downfall, I so damn slow at crawl but trying to improve this winter. If I could knock even a couple of minutes off my swim time I’ll be happy. I was dreadful last year!!!

Lifeisabeach Wed 09-Jan-19 10:45:31

Hi olympic! I also did my first Olympic distance tri last year. Good to hear your training is going well.

TametheDragon it sounds like the training will be a good focus if your DH is away for long periods.

I'm worrying about the bike at the moment, which has always been my favourite part. It's totally different training for a sprint where the bike will be under an hour, to this where it's probably going to take me 3.5 hours. I've been doing an hour on the turbo a couple of times a week but I can't bring myself to stay on it any longer than that, even with TV to watch or music on. Hopefully once I start cycling outside again it'll feel more doable.

Tri club run training tonight. I find it so much easier when I've got a scheduled session to go to.

Hope everyone else is doing well smile

TheOrigFV45 Wed 09-Jan-19 11:03:44

I am a newbie. Runner really, but started swimming a few years ago and am now proficient at that. Just got a bike, so now apparently I have to enter a tri.

I'm really only fit enough (swim and bike wise) to do a sprint and I've only ever done one transition in my life (from a swim to a run) and that just about killed me, so this should be interesting.

I'm on the Cambridge/Essex/Suffolk border and there are few round here. Exciting!

Nateismine Wed 09-Jan-19 11:41:14

There's a good group of us nowsmile. We can do this! I have just bought the Fink 70.3 book and I really like the look of the plans in there (much less volume and intensity than the beginner plan that I had downloaded online) so I am going to follow the 'Just Finish' plan and I'm aiming for under 7 hours which is slow but will be an achievement for me. This plan is only 16 weeks so I can relax until Feb half term!
The book also says 90% of training should be low intensity zone 2 so That's great to hear too as I think I always push a bit to hard.
Beautiful sunny day here in Dorset, so I did a mini brick session- 30mins on the Wattbike and then a 15min very slow run. Felt great- long may this feeling last!
Anyone else need to lose weight? I need to lose about 7kgblush. Would love to hear how everyone else is doing?

Dogsmellssobadbob Wed 09-Jan-19 14:07:33

Ooh am placemarking for later as I’m debating a half Ironman this year
Never done a tri but I run a lot, cycle pretty regularly and can swim. Don’t fancy a shorter one and would love to do an IM one day but the cycling distance terrifies me!

Wondering if I should sign up and just go for it
Is Stafford still open? Think it’s a hilly one tho is that right?

Nateismine Wed 09-Jan-19 14:28:13

Dogs Do it! Do it! Do it! There will be quite a group of us at Stafford. There are still places left. The run is flat and the cycling not too bad -720m of climbing in total.

Igottastartthinkingbee Wed 09-Jan-19 14:48:13

Just do it dogsmell! If you have the time to train then why not!

Nate getting round in any triathlon is an achievement. Getting round a Half Ironman is definitely an achievement!

On the subject of weight loss, I’d like to lose 5kg. Which would get me down to where I was last year for my Olympic tri. Depressing how the weight just piles back on isn’t it.

TheOrigFV45 Wed 09-Jan-19 15:25:41

Brick session - that's what it's called.

Any tips on how best to train? I am completely new to it.

olympic19 Wed 09-Jan-19 19:42:16

There's a terrific book called "Triathlon for Beginners" which I used. I'm also following a Training Peaks plan (I'm an expat in the US and TP is probably the best known online training thing.)

Kudos to everyone doing iron and half-iron 🙇‍♀️ I can't imagine that kind of time investment! I have three kids under 10 though, so maybe when they get older 🤔

SkiMum99 Wed 09-Jan-19 20:05:23

“Brick session” aka jelly legs as that’s what it feels like when you get off the bike and attemp to run. If I didn’t have my watch on I’d think I was walking it feels SO slow no easy way to get used to it than doing it...I fear?
I’ve sat on the sofa for nearly 3days now with this lovely virus that I’ve nicknamed mini flu (thanks DD who had it all over Xmas now back at school & given it to me). I was suppose to be running a HM as part of my winter training this weekend hmmm don’t think that’s happening now sad or shifting any Xmas lbs just gaining more.

Igottastartthinkingbee Sat 12-Jan-19 20:08:54

Hope you’re better soon Ski. Always frustrating being ill. I always factor in a few weeks contingency into training plans to account for illness (be it me or the kids). It helps to keep you’re focus to train when you’re well cause you never know when the cess pit of school/nursery is going to strike next!

Igottastartthinkingbee Sat 12-Jan-19 20:09:37

*Your!!!!!

TriSkiRun99 Sun 13-Jan-19 14:43:50

I’ve signed up for a Sprint! Arrhh I’ve done a couple of Go-Tris and wanted to do one last year but injuries stopped me. My goal is one to finish, two to not be last and three to be happy with one and two grin. Based on last years times I will be in the bottom 10% so will be a challenge on time for me but I’ve done a couple of half marathons so I know my body can keep moving for 2.5hrs if fueled correctly. Got 4.5mths to lose 20lbs would also help me a lot!! Yes I’ve named changed in honour of my next challenge grin
thanks bee I’m still coughing but on the mend now, just DH and eldest DD have the bug now sad

Igottastartthinkingbee Sun 13-Jan-19 19:23:27

triskirun99 you used to be skigirl and trigirl I think?

Well done on taking the plunge with your first sprint! It won’t be much different to your gotris, just keep plodding on for longer, more time to enjoy it I say! I’m all about the value for money grin

TametheDragon Sun 13-Jan-19 20:20:28

triskirun99 congrats on signing up, you’ll do just fine! Sounds like you’re the kind of lady that loves to have a goal to work towards too.

Bit of a flop of a weekend for me training wise, decided to freestyle a trail run, only for it to end unceremoniously in not one but two dead ends. My own fault for winging it without an OS map, but I was just itching to get out the door. Could have found a loop round but didn’t really have the time to take the gamble, so headed back the way I came. Frustrating!
Was keen for a juicy cycle today but OH went out last night and his hangover had other ideas, so we cut it short. Nevermind, tomorrow is another day hmmgrin

Lifeisabeach Mon 14-Jan-19 11:22:26

Well done for signing up triskirun - I'm sure you will do really well.

Annoying about the dead ends TametheDragon

I'm worrying about how I'll fit the long runs and rides in that will be needed closer to Staffs 70.3. Realistically I can only do Sunday, so I'm thinking I might have to alternate - long run one week and long ride the next? And try and do some mid-distance runs and rides in the week if I can squeeze them in. I'm planning to do a half marathon in May so I need to make sure I get the long runs in to prepare for that.

So I'm thinking I should start the 16 week Fink plan a bit early to make sure I have enough time to build the distance in running and riding.

Does anyone run with a camelback backpack type thing for hydration? I'm wondering whether to plan to use one for the run in the half ironman, as I know I'll struggle with it, so at least if I've got water and energy drinks with me, I'll be able to sip at them constantly. I didn't fuel properly in the olympic distance last year and really felt it during the run.

TriSkiRun99 Mon 14-Jan-19 12:05:44

My DH nicked my running camelback which I’d got free with a running world subscription (the reason I took out the subscription smile ) He hates carrying anything usually but Marathon training he’s had to carry fuel & water and he’s found it ok. He had to do a few adjustments to start with to get it fitting correctly but then did a 21m run no problem with it.

TametheDragon Mon 14-Jan-19 13:40:01

I run with one of these and I LOVE it. It works out a bit pricey though as the vest itself doesn't include the bladder, but does come with bottles. I would think the bottles would be enough to get you through a half distance.
It's so comfy and doesn't rub/bounce/chafe, and you'll start to find it amazing on training runs for taking a extra layer or a waterproof. Saves having to shove your clothes in a hedge and go back for them later (I realise this might just be me.... blush)
www.wiggle.co.uk/salomon-adv-skin-5-1/

I've heard a lot of good things about the decathlon ultra vest type things too though, which are cheaper.

reallyneedmoresleep Tue 15-Jan-19 23:11:19

Hello triathletes!
I did a couple of sprint triathlons for the first time last year. I am slow, but enjoyed them so much - felt great with all the training too.
I have entered several more sprints this year and am thinking a little bit about doing an Olympic one...maybe.
I had my first swimming lesson in ages tonight. Need to think about spearing my fingers downwards more at the catch on my front crawl. I find swimming a bit like learning to drive - like there's sooooo many new things to think about.
DH and 15 year old DS are doing a couple of the triathlons with me this year. First up is Blenheim Palace - anyone done that one?

Igottastartthinkingbee Wed 16-Jan-19 09:13:47

really I am totally with you on swimming, I just don’t know what to think about first most of the time. And every coach I see has a different opinion on what my focus should be! Oh well, I guess I’ll always have something to improve on.

I went for a lovely run around a local reservoir yesterday, 4 miles of gorgeous views. I was thinking of doing it again this morning but I’ve got a twinge by my knee today so it’s not happening. It’s so easy to get carried away and overtrain sometimes! (Funnily enough I rarely get that feeling with swimming grin). A date with a foam roller instead today!

Lifeisabeach Thu 17-Jan-19 12:06:14

Thanks for the info on backpacks, think I might invest in one.

I'm the opposite bee - swimming is the bit I'm most comfortable with. It's always the run that destroys me!

Planning a short brick session tonight, 45 mins on the turbo and then a 15 min run. I did one last week that was 40 mins/1 mile and spent the whole mile thinking - how on earth will I get through 13 of these after 3.5 hours on the bike?!

Igottastartthinkingbee Sat 19-Jan-19 13:16:31

Does everyone use exercise trackers? I’ve got a Fitbit charge 3 which does everything I need, looks nice, isn’t bulky etc but it just isn’t very accurate. Step count is dubious, and while it tracks sleep, I just don’t need to know about that!

So I’m after recommendations, ideally under £200. I need run and bike tracking with GPS. But almost almost more important to me is swim length counting and lake swim distance, because I really struggle with that. If there’s a triathlon mode that I could use in a race then that would be an awesome added extra! DH has been looking at a Garmin Vivoactive 3. Anyone got one?

Lifeisabeach Sat 19-Jan-19 15:03:48

bee, I had the Vivoactive HR which was the model before and Vivoactive 3, and it was a great watch BUT it doesn’t do open water. The vivoactive 3 is the same.

I have a Garmin 735xt which is fab. Does open water, triathlon mode, it’s a smart watch so notifications from phone. I wear it as an everyday watch but it’s been fab for training and races too. The black version is £230 on amazon at the moment so slightly over your budget, but worth stretching for if you want open water.

Lifeisabeach Sat 19-Jan-19 15:10:07

Those of you doing Staffordshire 70.3, where are you planning to stay? In Stafford itself or near Chasewater where the swim is? Both OH and I are doing it and we won’t have any supporters with us, so will need to be able to get back to the car after we’ve finished under our own steam. So are we best staying in Stafford town centre (have had a look and not many rooms in hotels left!) and using a shuttle bus to get to the swim start? What are you all doing?

mylittlefidget Sat 19-Jan-19 17:04:19

I have a Garmin 735xt as well and love, love, love it!
Lifeisabeach, I'm staying in the city centre and will us the shuttle bus (I hope there is one!). I'll be there on my own, so need to figure out logistics....

mylittlefidget Sat 19-Jan-19 17:04:41

Well, town centre...

swearbyit Sat 19-Jan-19 18:02:57

I can totally recommend tailwind for hydration during IM or half - I did a marathon just on water and a few gels, but I got horrendous stomach problems from the gels, they really didn't suit me. At IM I ate mini soreeen bars, salt and vinegar peanuts and had tailwind in my water bottles and it was amazing, I wasn't hungry, and didn't have any cramps or anything (also used salt tablets). I'm definitely going to use it again this time round. During the run I just carried a water bottle on my hand, and filled it up at the different fuel stops, was less hassle than a camel back thing, and I didn't really see anyone running with a hydration pack tbh. There's tonnes of fuel stops, every 5 k I think. It's definitely worth getting your fuel right way before the event, and stick with it!

Igottastartthinkingbee Sat 19-Jan-19 20:07:32

Thanks life and mylittle I’d been looking at the Garmin 735xt, it comes up all the time in forums and on Facebook tri pages so I’m hoping to convince DH that that’s the one to go with. Bit gutted for him cause he spent ages researching all the options before getting the Fitbit for my birthday. He thought I’d want the prettiest option 🙈 and it is pretty but I’d much prefer to know how far and how fast I’ve swam in that lake!

I’m another tailwind advocate, no stomach issues with it last year. Intend on using it again.

Lifeisabeach Mon 21-Jan-19 11:22:21

Well I've booked a hotel for OH and I, about 10 mins from Stafford, so hopefully we can drive in on the morning of the race and park in the long stay, get the shuttle bus to the swim start and then we won't have far to walk back to the car after we've finished.

I have another question...those of you who have done IM and 70.3 distance, did you wear a trisuit for the whole race, or did you change into bike clothes and then running clothes in transition? I'm just aiming to finish so am wondering whether it's worth spending time in transition getting changed into bike and run-specific clothes.

Igottastartthinkingbee Tue 22-Jan-19 23:02:19

I’ve no experience at 70.3 level life but I imagine the time you’re out on your bike/run it’s worth having the most comfortable kit for the job. Not sure on rules about changing though, can’t get naked in transition! Would you have to go to a changing room?

TametheDragon Thu 24-Jan-19 16:33:39

I'm also intrigued as to what people have opted to do clothes wise over a full distance tri. The outfit choice and the potential repercussions of getting it wrong (especially in Wales in September...!) really stress me out!
I think I am intending on a two piece tri suit, but then perhaps changing for run shorts and adding a top layer as it should be starting to drop temps by the time I even start the run.

I think if you are aiming to complete rather than compete, than the extra time spent in transition in order to change shouldn't matter too much?

Lifeisabeach Wed 06-Feb-19 14:38:39

It’s all gone quiet in here, how is everyone getting on? I’m trundling along ok, doing 2 coached swims, 2 turbos and 2-3 runs a week. Really need to start increasing my distances though, especially on the bike. I’ve managed 1hr 10 mins on the turbo but that’s as long as I’ve done. Need to get back out on the road soon!

Hope everyone else is doing ok smile

Nateismine Wed 06-Feb-19 15:09:16

I'm trundling along too, 1 or 2 swims a week, 2 runs and 3 bikes. Keeping it all low key in Zone 2. Longest run is 1hr 15 so far...My 16 week Fink plan starts at half term. Still need to lose a lot of weight, struggling to stop eating at the moment.
Have joined a local tri club so hoping that will help.

TriSkiRun99 Wed 06-Feb-19 16:19:04

I’ve told myself I have 15wks I should be able to lose 15lbs but arrhh I find it SO hard despite training for a half Marathon which I have at the weekend. Done zero on the bike I really need to get back on it, DH has hogged the turbo so it’s all set up with his bike so I tend to just go run or swim rather than faff about moving his bike and sitting in a cold shed is just not appealing to me grin. In the past the end of Feb is when I normally get back on the bike for a work commute as it feels safer coming home in the light. I don’t mind going in at 6am in the dark.

Lifeisabeach Mon 11-Feb-19 10:39:58

How was your half marathon TriSkiRun? Hope it went well. I'm going to enter my local one which is in May, about 4 weeks before Staffs 70.3. Thinking it will be good to have done the full run distance to give me confidence for the run at Staffs!

Does anyone have any advice about carrying nutrition on the bike? I used tailwind for the olympic distance tri I did in September, but thinking I need to take some kind of solid food as well. Do you use one of those bags that goes on the top tube? I'm wondering about one of those double bottle holders that goes behind the saddle too. Really need to practice eating and drinking on the bike!

TriSkiRun99 Tue 12-Feb-19 08:57:39

It went really well for me Lifeisabeach thanks. Beat last years time by 5mins despite equally challenging weather conditions and lots of muddy puddles that we had no choice about wading through so sodden shoes from 2k onwards. Legs rather sore still but did have sports massage yesterday and I did a Pilates class to help the stiffness smile next goal is get back on the bike now. I have HT off with my DDs next week so I’m hoping we can all get the bikes out again if the weather improves.

TriSkiRun99 Tue 12-Feb-19 08:59:45

I eat a lidls Apple fruit cake bar when running it’s requures minimal chewing seems to melt in my mouth and mostly carbs/sugar so quick release. Plus detrose tablets I prefer now to jelly babies.

Igottastartthinkingbee Fri 22-Feb-19 21:59:30

Hello! I dropped off the radar when there was that password breach thing.

I’m having a go at a proper cycling club ride this weekend and I’m scared! I haven’t ridden anywhere near the distance since last summer and I haven’t a clue if I’ll be fast enough.

Running is going well, did a lovely 12km run last week. Swimming is ok, just looking at booking in a session with a proper tri coach because I know there is lots to improve upon. But half term has put paid to training this week so back to it next week. How’s everyone else doing?

Igottastartthinkingbee Mon 25-Feb-19 19:15:50

Did a 40 mile ride with a my cycling club this weekend. I hadn’t done anything like that before but I really enjoyed it, and as with anything I did way more than I ever would’ve on my own! I was a bit broken by the end of it though! Big run tomorrow, can’t wait because the weather is looking lovely again. Just need to fit some swimming in somewhere and I’m sorted!

TheOrigFV45 Mon 25-Feb-19 20:04:42

Am doing first sprint tri 12th May! Woo.

TriSkiRun99 Mon 25-Feb-19 20:52:32

First time on my bike since Oct today blush only 20k but it was a start. I’ve been running all winter and did a half 2wks ago so now need to focus on getting bike fit again! Been ticking the swimming over 1-2x a week. Not lost any weight though angry need to work on that too...

Igottastartthinkingbee Mon 25-Feb-19 21:53:57

Hello orig!

Whoop well done triski gorgeous day to get back out on the bike! How was the half? It must feel good to have one of the disciplines totally nailed.

TriSkiRun99 Tue 26-Feb-19 15:43:40

I’m not a fast I runner bee but I keep going & was 5mins quicker than last year grin. I’m still not convinced I’m going to do the sprint distance yet, as not feeling very body positive at the moment more middle aged and round hmmm and there is zero hiding in a Tri-suit with big wobbly bits!

Hope everyone else is buoyed up by the recent sunny weather to get out running & cycling.

Igottastartthinkingbee Mon 04-Mar-19 10:50:47

Slightly risky run today, roads for the most part but finished going across some fields down to the river. I hadn’t considered that the stepping stones might be submerged by the weekend rain 🤦🏼‍♀️ Trainers off and a some motivational self chat got me across, very relieved to get to the other side! Won’t be doing that again after a rainy spell.

Lifeisabeach Mon 04-Mar-19 11:21:24

Sounds a bit scary bee, glad you managed to get across safely!

I'm still plodding along. Got out on my tt bike when we had the nice weather, and found that it's really rubbish at going up hills (or maybe I am, but I decided it was the bike's fault!). My OH has changed the cassette at the back and says it should be better now but I haven't had chance to try it - didn't fancy it this weekend with all the wind.

I thought IM Staffs 70.3 was fairly flat, but having looked into it, it definitely isn't! So need to be able to get up hills. Hoping for some better weather again soon so I can get back out on the bike. I did 28 miles last weekend so really need to build on that.

Did a 9 mile run yesterday, was absolutely soaked through at the end. The hot shower and cup of tea afterwards was bliss!

Lifeisabeach Thu 14-Mar-19 11:08:41

Where is everybody, how are you all getting on in this windy weather? I'm supposed to be doing a duathlon on Saturday (and OH and our 2 DCs as well) but the forecast is for gale force winds so it's looking as though it might be postponed. I'm kind of hoping it is, as it's in an exposed location and I don't fancy it with the 45mph+ gusts that are predicted.

I managed 1.5 hours on the turbo on Sunday, followed by a 5k run, so that's the longest training session I've managed so far, still a drop in the ocean compared to IM 70.3!

TriSkiRun99 Fri 15-Mar-19 14:54:14

Wow 1.5hrs on turbo beach is good going I find it SO dull. I just did my first turbo session (in v.windy shed) in a year, as DH finally set my bike up and it’s just too windy ere for me to go out run/cycle. I only did half hour and found that hard going I’m just not bike fit at the moment. I’m not inspired by being on my bike either which is the biggest challenge for me I think, as I can find/squeeze time if im motivated plus it just seems easier to go for a run than face the scary traffic on my bike!

Swimming once a week but really need to go twice so plan to go tonight. I’m Running 3x a week enjoying that smile.

Nateismine Sat 16-Mar-19 18:33:56

Things are going well here. On Week 4 of the Finks intermediate plan and no way injuries yet. Am taking it slowly though and have found running much less torturous now that I have given myself permission to slow down. Out for a 2hr 15min bike tomorrow in the sun apparently. Hope everyone else is good.

Lifeisabeach Mon 18-Mar-19 10:15:05

TriSkiRun I find it dull too, and have a TV right in front of me, plus music if I want. I was watching the World Triathlon Series for my long turbo session and that kind of helped. I didn't do enough cycling last week but did manage a 10 mile run yesterday. It's so hard to find the right balance isn't it. Need to get back on the bike more often this week.

My duathlon on Saturday was postponed because of the wind, thankfully, but we can't make the new date as we're on holiday, which is annoying!

Igottastartthinkingbee Wed 20-Mar-19 21:49:16

Hello! I’ve had a lull, busy week last week and too bloody windy for any cycling. I took my bike out in wettish and windy weather the previous week but instantly regretted it. I thought it would be good to cycle in some inclement weather so I set off on my usual 20 mile route but I bottled it after a mile! Instead I went round the steep local lanes but I still scared. Bottled out of going down a steep hill and then fell off as I was clipping back in 🙈 no witnesses thank goodness!

Anyway, I had a one to one with a swim coach on the weekend. So much to work on!!! But a great session that’s given me a much needed kick up the arse!

Been out on the bike today (first time since my fall/wimp out session!) and felt ok. Didn’t go as far as I’d hoped but better than nothing. Less than a month to my first tri of the year so I need to crack on!

TheOrigFV45 Tue 26-Mar-19 09:30:17

I have been TOLD by 2 experienced triathletes that I need to do at least a couple of brick sessions before I do my first tri (12th May).

So, today I am going to ride for about 5 miles, dump the bike at home and then go for a 3 mile run.

Does that sound like a good start? Would I be better to really push myself and get a better feel for race conditions, or just take it easy?

The tri is 300m swim, 22K ride and 5K run.

Lifeisabeach Tue 26-Mar-19 10:57:55

Sounds like a good brick session although you might be better doing a longer bike and shorter run - say 10 miles/2 miles, to get closer to how your legs will feel after the bike leg in the tri. I would go fairly hard on the bike but start the run quite slowly and build up. Your legs feel really odd for the first few minutes and I've found I feel as though I'm going slow but actually I'm running too fast and need to slow down!

I managed 36 miles on the bike outside on Sunday and hated it sad My TT bike feels SO uncomfortable and I'm thinking about going back to my road bike and using that for the half IM. Maybe I just need to tweak the set up or try a different saddle though.

TheOrigFV45 Tue 26-Mar-19 14:55:25

Thank you beach.

In the end I did just under 6 miles on the bike and 2 run. It was just in my lunch break so couldn't really go much further on the bike.
It felt OK actually - not as bad as it felt after the (one and only) splash and dash I did a couple of years ago.

I did push on the bike but took it easy on the run as I felt very ploddy but didn't feel jelly-legged.

First ever brick session - DONE!

Igottastartthinkingbee Tue 26-Mar-19 19:27:10

Well done orig you’ve reminded me that I really ought to sort some brick training out!

TriSkiRun99 Wed 27-Mar-19 17:23:20

Well done TheOrigFV45 sounds like it was a good brick session.

I really need to get out on my bike just can’t find the confidence or motivation. I’ve done a few turbo sessions instead though so working myself upto it...

Igottastartthinkingbee Mon 08-Apr-19 22:35:37

First tri of the season is looming this weekend!!!! Part of me can’t wait but another part is crapping it that I’ve become complacent about training because I’ve done a few tris before. Last years training counts towards this one doesn’t it 😂

Igottastartthinkingbee Mon 15-Apr-19 07:32:09

First tri of the season done yesterday, went faster than last year, managed to not fall off my bike in the crazy crosswinds and generally enjoyed myself!

TriSkiRun99 Tue 16-Apr-19 17:56:20

Well done bee - I’ve still yet to go out on my bike, I seem to have a complete block in my head about it 🙈done a few sessions on the turbo and kept up running & swimming fine. May try a brick session on Friday when off work.

Igottastartthinkingbee Wed 17-Apr-19 07:28:01

Thank you! Maybe just try a very very short bike ride one day triski and get back out there.

TriSkiRun99 Fri 19-Apr-19 10:10:39

Went out early this morning Yah! Got a Hilly 20k on the road Bike id not ridden since last year, then straight into 5k run. Really pleased felt fine with stamina but it was my foot pins n needles which slowed my run as had to keep stopping to stretch it. Feeling a lot more confident about doing the sprint in 4wks time now even if my current timings will put me in bottom 10% (based on last years times)

Nateismine Fri 19-Apr-19 22:37:41

Just checking to see how the Stafford crew are getting on? I've been religiously following the Intermediate Fink plan and it is taking over my life. The kids are semi neglected but only 7 more weeks to go.

Did my biggest day ever on Weds: 4hr 15 bike followed by a 45min Run. Was tough but I did it....then was completely drained and non functioning for the rest of the day. Then had to do a 17k Run the next day- was tough!

I'm enjoying the swimming but have never swum in a lake or in a group.

Can I ask the Stafford competitors what time they are hoping/ expecting to do the bike in. I seem to be really slow and it looks like it will take me about 4hrs 10.

Would love to hear how everyone else is getting on.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: