Talk

Advanced search

Looking for C25K but for core and upper body strength

(18 Posts)
PopGoesTheWeaz Mon 18-Jun-18 23:16:24

A few years ago I went from being a definite couch to now runnning 8-10 K 3-5 times a week. I got to 5 k with a C25K programme and then just continued to increase my time and mix in hills to get to where I am now. I'm quite happy with that, though know that I could push myself a bit harder on speed.

My main goal for the moment is losing weight, which I'm doing through diet, so dont want to push myself too hard on running at the same time and risk disrupting both.

However, I really need to incorporate something for my core and upperbody. I don't have loads more time in my week, and am not looking for anything aerobic, just something to gently introduce a bit of shape to my upperbody.

I really loved that the c25k app did all the thinking for me and that it was a gradual lead in so that when I started, I was only having to put aside 15--20 minuets at a time. Is there anything like this for strength that you could recommend?

CatsGoPurrrr Tue 19-Jun-18 06:29:10

Have you thought about Ypga? Check out Yoga with Adriene on You Tube. Also. If you can get yourself to a class as well it'd really help. I find Yoga helps with strength and flexibility. I run, too.

EscapistTendencies Tue 19-Jun-18 06:35:02

Bodyfit by Amy on YouTube. Loads of mini workouts, upper body, lower body, abs etc. Ranging from 5-45 minute workouts. Don't underestimate the cardiovascular benefits of weights though, lots of her workouts incorporate dumbbells or kettle bells.

Believeitornot Tue 19-Jun-18 06:38:46

Bodyfit by Amy on YouTube. Loads of mini workouts, upper body, lower body, abs etc. Ranging from 5-45 minute workouts

I second BodyFit! When I got into running, I would do two of her kettlebell workouts and my fitness levels shot up. Just pick one (eg a HIIT workout) and do that twice a week.

Thereshegoesagain Tue 19-Jun-18 06:59:26

I’m at the same place as you and I’ve been looking at YouTube at HIIT and bodyfit as a starting point.

helly29 Tue 19-Jun-18 07:23:44

Also check out Fitness Blender on YouTube - loads to choose from and no background music (I often find it annoying or want my own)

Kerberos Tue 19-Jun-18 07:26:10

Or join a class? Body Pump maybe?

Bridechilla Tue 19-Jun-18 08:21:39

POP Pilates on YouTube

soloula Tue 19-Jun-18 08:28:28

Following as this is what I need too OP!

HuckfromScandal Tue 19-Jun-18 08:31:44

Ive come to exactly the same realisation OP, and so 6 weeks ago started a body conditioning class and an insanity class.
I cannot tell you how much it has improved my overall fitness already!

I can’t do you tube ones, I am just too bloody lazy to get on and get them done! I need a class.

PopGoesTheWeaz Tue 19-Jun-18 12:45:22

Thanks for your suggestions everyone. I really am looking for something other than high intensity or insanity anything! I think by the end of the year I might be but I know if I add that to my plate right now, I won't be able to manage it and would risk coming off the dieting bandwagon or ruining my running streak and don't want to do that.

I was thinking more along the line of a plank challenge or some shortish yoga videos that were a bit more focused on strength than serenity. (I have a few yoga dvds from a while ago that I love but its about 20 minutes of ommmm for every 30 minutes of exercise and i'd like something that's more like a 5:30 ratio grin )

I'll check out those You Tube videos though, but if you think of anything else please let me know.

Thanks xx

WeAreGerbil Tue 19-Jun-18 16:25:45

I use some of the fitify apps, you can build up the time as you want and skip exercises you're not ready for.

EscapistTendencies Tue 19-Jun-18 17:10:26

That's why I love bodyfit by Amy, she gives low intensity options in all her videos. She's heavily pregnant in some of them too and often goes for the low intensity options herself. I hate jumping around but her strength moves get your heart rate up, no jumping required. She has some Pilates videos too. I don't work for her, honest grin. Just glad I've found something I enjoy that I can fit in to my life easily and she is by far the least annoying instructor I've came across.

PopGoesTheWeaz Thu 21-Jun-18 09:38:01

Just tried one of Amy's 30 min core mat pilates and literally started crying half way through grin. Made it to the end though and it definitely drove home the point that despite being able to run for an hour without missing a beat, I've got some serious fitness deficiencies I need to address.

She's lovely though, and didn't yell at me for crying wink so I'll give it another go (and another and another) until I can make it through without stop.

WeAreGerbil Thu 21-Jun-18 11:05:27

Pop snap! I tried one too on recommendation on this thread and I actually had a little weep. I do core exercises but I still seem to be pathetic! Other types of exercises I can do though they may hurt but core I just don't seem to have the strength to even attempt some of them.

She ignored me crying too!

PopGoesTheWeaz Thu 21-Jun-18 14:06:53

Snap indeed. So glad I'm not the only one. I'm going to go for a quick run now just to get my confidence back up smile

The good news is, if I remember correctly, my stomach muscles do seem to build up rather quickly. I mean, I've never had visible abs but I remember going from not being able to do 10 situps to being able to do 50 in just a few weeks time so fingers crossed that wasn't a fluke.

Ebeneser Thu 21-Jun-18 14:14:45

Check out Mark Laurens "You Are Your Own Gym". There is a female specific version as well (Body by You).

www.amazon.co.uk/You-Are-Your-Own-Gym/dp/0345528581?tag=mumsnetforum-21

There is an app for it as well:
www.marklaurenapp.com/yayog-app

I paid £3.99 for it on the Apple store, but I'm not sure if it is subscription based now.

It's basically a fitness program that you can do at home with minimal equipment - you can use a lot of your own household items/furniture as alternatives.

MiniDoofa Thu 21-Jun-18 14:20:11

I have an app called 8fit. It’s workouts that are around 6-8 minutes. You can pick which area to work and then it just tells you the exercises. So very like C25K in that respect.
Well done on your running OP. I’m on wk 5 of C25K it’s a great program. Good luck. smile

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: